• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawksfanatic vs Sekou Smith round 1 (Smooves byc)

NJHAWK

I think Sekou's post about there was no way we are trading Smoove so all this CBA talk is foolishness is kind of like saying he is wrong, lol. There is always the chance that Memphis wrote that in Smooves contract offer though and Sekou got his info from either a Hawks exec or a Griz exec. I dont have a problem with Lang though because he never stated that he knew he just made assumptions and wrote that they were his assumptions. My problem is with idiots like Ford who write as everything they say is concrete truth when thier info is pathetic at best.

That last post by Sekou was pretty juvenile. I read it as he didn't have the time (comprehension) to understand what Hawksfanatic was trying to explain in plain English.

I am surprised that there are a few posters on the AJC blog with decent CBA knowledge (MannyT in particular). I have been vastly disappointed in Sekou though, its like he won't budge even when thrown the actual text from the CBA. I still like his reporting, I think he does a good job but he needs to either brush up on general level CBA knowledge or just not touch that stuff in reporting. I am sure if he spent some time on the 'Squawk he would get a better at understanding the CBA. I know I have.

I am surprised that there are a few posters on the AJC blog with decent CBA knowledge (MannyT in particular). I have been vastly disappointed in Sekou though, its like he won't budge even when thrown the actual text from the CBA. I still like his reporting, I think he does a good job but he needs to either brush up on general level CBA knowledge or just not touch that stuff in reporting. I am sure if he spent some time on the 'Squawk he would get a better at understanding the CBA. I know I have.

Is there even the slightest chance that Memphis did put something into his contract that could go around the typical rules and not allow his BYC status to end until the anniversary of the contract being signed?

• Moderators
Is there even the slightest chance that Memphis did put something into his contract that could go around the typical rules and not allow his BYC status to end until the anniversary of the contract being signed?

It is not envisioned under the CBA and the byc is not a term of the contract so I don't see how they could bargain for a later date. It would be like bargaining to have someone's salary impact the cap in a different way than in the CBA. Maybe I am off, but I don't see how you could contract around the CBA on this one because you aren't negotiating the terms of obligation between the team and the player -- you would be negotiating how the CBA would apply to the contract which isn't up for negotiation between a player and a team.

It is not envisioned under the CBA and the byc is not a term of the contract so I don't see how they could bargain for a later date. It would be like bargaining to have someone's salary impact the cap in a different way than in the CBA. Maybe I am off, but I don't see how you could contract around the CBA on this one because you aren't negotiating the terms of obligation between the team and the player -- you would be negotiating how the CBA would apply to the contract which isn't up for negotiation between a player and a team.

That seems likely to me as well, I'm just trying to give Sekou at least some chance of being correct but it really seems likely that he's wrong and I'm surprised he's been so stubborn about being corrected.

http://blogs.ajc.com/hawks/2009/06/17/let-.../comment-page-2

Lol they are going at it on Sekou's blog. Sekou says that Memphis wrote in Smooves offer sheet that his byc doesnt end till mid August and he has heard this several times ( I assume from Sund or his assistant).

I think Sekou is right on this one.

He is not the only one that is saying this.

LINK

Clearing Up Some Confusion: This is the time of year where a lot of misinformation hits the Rumor Mill, and before any of this gets too far along here what's not happening:

Josh Smith Not Available: There had been reports that Hawks' forward Josh Smith was being made available before the draft as a means to get the Hawks into the top 10 of the draft. The problem with the report is it does not take into account that Smith cannot be moved before August, without his consent, and that if moved he gets a hefty $7 million trade bonus that almost no team can absorb. If you recall the Hawks matched a contract offer from Memphis last summer and as a result they cannot trade him for one-year without his consent. Sources close to Smith said he's not opposed to the idea of a trade if it lands him somewhere he can compete for a title right away, but who in the Top 10 fits that mold? There may be some level of truth to the idea that Atlanta wants to move Josh this off-season, he and head coach Mike Woodson clearly have issues, but as far as a deal before the draft – it's not possible unless Josh does the Hawks a huge favor

Edited by Brotha2ThaNite

• Moderators
I think Sekou is right on this one.

He is not the only one that is saying this.

Read it again - Sekou got owned by hawksfanatic.

Sekou is right that Josh can't be traded without his consent until mid-August. Sekou is 100% wrong on his claim that Josh will be BYC status until the one year anniversary of signing his contract. He will be off byc status on July 1, as mentioned in the above ajc thread and several threads on this board.

It is the byc issue that Sekou was stubbornly arguing until he eventually basically said, "ehh...who cares whether I am right on this because Smith isn't getting traded anyway." He should have just owned up to his mistake and then made his point that the byc issue is academic for all the other reasons that Josh isn't going to be traded.

This is from Lang Whitaker in Sekous's blog:

A few people swore up and down on blogs and in the comments section on AJC.com that I was wrong about Josh’s BYC status. I wrote that it ended in mid-August, one year from when the Hawks matched the offer sheet Josh signed last summer with Memphis.

I am to a salary cap expert what the Hawks are to victory parades. So before I wrote anything, I went to Larry Coon’s detailed NBA Collective Bargaining Agreement FAQ and read as much as I could pertaining to Josh’s situation, particularly his BYC status, which is written thusly: “A player remains a base year player for six months, or until June 30, whichever comes later.”

As a result, a bunch of people thought I was wrong about the mid-August date. But according to everyone I spoke to while reporting this stuff, Josh is a BYC guy until mid-August. Why? Because the Hawks have Josh’s Bird rights, because the Hawks drafted him and Josh has been with the Hawks for more than three years. So it runs until mid-August, one year from when he signed the deal, same as Chicago had with Deng, same as Philly had with Iguodala, same as Cleveland had with Varejao.

Edited by NJHAWK

The good news is that this will all be irrelevant in ~6 weeks.

The bad news is that we're likely to have to deal with it all over again with Marvin.

Maybe just maybe he signs a deal lower than the byc. Its going to be pretty close I believe because of his injury issues. At least if he signs the Q.O. Diesel will have to go a full year without posting Marvin trades, lol.

This is from Lang Whitaker in Sekous's blog:

A few people swore up and down on blogs and in the comments section on AJC.com that I was wrong about Josh’s BYC status. I wrote that it ended in mid-August, one year from when the Hawks matched the offer sheet Josh signed last summer with Memphis.

I am to a salary cap expert what the Hawks are to victory parades. So before I wrote anything, I went to Larry Coon’s detailed NBA Collective Bargaining Agreement FAQ and read as much as I could pertaining to Josh’s situation, particularly his BYC status, which is written thusly: “A player remains a base year player for six months, or until June 30, whichever comes later.”

As a result, a bunch of people thought I was wrong about the mid-August date. But according to everyone I spoke to while reporting this stuff, Josh is a BYC guy until mid-August. Why? Because the Hawks have Josh’s Bird rights, because the Hawks drafted him and Josh has been with the Hawks for more than three years. So it runs until mid-August, one year from when he signed the deal, same as Chicago had with Deng, same as Philly had with Iguodala, same as Cleveland had with Varejao.

:lol6: