• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Smith to the Bench?

HawkItus

I just think the way our team is constructed Smith would be more beneficial off the bench. Seeing as how we now have JJ and Crawford who could start and get the defense to collapse, we need a PF who can extend the defense. Put Marvin at the 3 pt. line where Smoove plays anyway, along with Bibby. Run iso Joe or Jamal. Or better yet let them run the same slip pick that Bibby and JJ ran last year. Horford is your banger inside. Marvin rebounds at a nice rate when asked to anyway. The second unit would benefit because you'd have Smith and Zaza to offset a none Offensive threat Mo. And if we sign Flip back we really have nice second unit with him and the rook at PG.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I could not disagree more with this idea.

If your alterior motive is to get Smith to demand a trade this is how you go about doing it though.

We will likely see this lineup for stretches of games but not starting.

Edited by coachx

I could not disagree more with this idea.

If your alterior motive is to get Smith to demand a trade this is how you go about doing it though.

We will likely see this lineup for stretches of games but not starting.

My alterior motive is the best team. I'm sorry unless Smith changes his playing style, he hampers the starting line-up. I mean it was okay to ask Chillz to accept a bench role for the betterment of the team, what makes Smith immune? If he rebounds at a better rate and either gets his jumper going or stops taking them then this wouldn't be necessary. But, Smith as he performs now would be better coming off the bench. IHMO.

From a defensive standpoint alone that is a ridiculous idea.

We absolutely need Josh Smith's shot blocking/altering ability to compliment our undersized Center.

Starting Marvin at the 4 just because he shoots 3s better is ridiculous

Taking out the heart and soul of the team and the most efficient player on the team, is ridiculous.

Seriously what a crazy idea

Edited by BusBoyIsBack

My alterior motive is the best team. I'm sorry unless Smith changes his playing style, he hampers the starting line-up. I mean it was okay to ask Chillz to accept a bench role for the betterment of the team, what makes Smith immune? If he rebounds at a better rate and either gets his jumper going or stops taking them then this wouldn't be necessary. But, Smith as he performs now would be better coming off the bench. IHMO.

I do not see how this makes us a better team. (Chillz is not as good as Smoove and could play multiple positions / what you want out of 6th man).

Under your bench Smoove and start Craw plan:

1. Our starting unit now has less rebounding (we were already one of the worst rebounding teams).

2. Starting unit looses the threat of our best shot blocker. Most coaches like to start games with a defensive mentality to start the tone.

3. We go from a long team to a team that is undersized at every position.

Crawford is player that scores in bunches and can play both guard positions. He seems like the perfect 6th man since he could play multiple positions and have instant offense. Smoove is only effective at one position and my belief is that he is the 2nd best player on the team due to his shot blocking and rebounding. Two major things our starting unit needs. He is also our best post scorer. Another thing you like to have in your starting unit is to start games with some kind of post presence. Woody started many games off with post plays to Smith to try and establish some type of offensive post game.

Edited by coachx

I do not see how this makes us a better team. (Chillz is not as good as Smoove and could play multiple positions / what you want out of 6th man).

Under your bench Smoove and start Craw plan:

1. Our starting unit now has less rebounding (we were already one of the worst rebounding teams).

2. Starting unit looses the threat of our best shot blocker. Most coaches like to start games with a defensive mentality to start the tone.

3. We go from a long team to a team that is undersized at every position.

Crawford is player that scores in bunches and can play both guard positions. He seems like the perfect 6th man since he could play multiple positions and have instant offense. Smoove is only effective at one position and my belief is that he is the 2nd best player on the team due to his shot blocking and rebounding. Two major things our starting unit needs. He is also our best post scorer. Another thing you like to have in your starting unit is to start games with some kind of post presence. Woody started many games off with post plays to Smith to try and establish some type of offensive post game.

I see your point, but Horford if developed right could take some of those looks. Yes, we have issues defensively with that lineup. However, even with Smith we got off to many a slow start and found ourselves in a hole early because the offense couldn't produce. This way we mitigate that problem by going with the theory of an offensive fast start, and as the game progresses you get a better defensive team on the floor through substitutions.

Edited by sultanofatl

Thank goodness some people aren't in charge. I swear with ideas like that you can make Mike Woodson look like the GOAT.

We can agree to disagree, but I don't see you drawing an NBA check either Bus Boy. You don't like the idea cool. But, skp along with insults.

Thank goodness some people aren't in charge. I swear with ideas like that you can make Mike Woodson look like the GOAT.

No, some people are just awake enough to realize that the thoughts "Smith is the heart and soul of the team" and "our most efficient player" is a boatload of horse manure.

I just think the way our team is constructed Smith would be more beneficial off the bench. Seeing as how we now have JJ and Crawford who could start and get the defense to collapse, we need a PF who can extend the defense. Put Marvin at the 3 pt. line where Smoove plays anyway, along with Bibby. Run iso Joe or Jamal. Or better yet let them run the same slip pick that Bibby and JJ ran last year. Horford is your banger inside. Marvin rebounds at a nice rate when asked to anyway. The second unit would benefit because you'd have Smith and Zaza to offset a none Offensive threat Mo. And if we sign Flip back we really have nice second unit with him and the rook at PG.

I think our D would be TERRIBLE at guard and with Smith on the bench, you would have no shot blocking behind that terrible D. Besides, even with all his flaws, he's still our 2nd best player RIGHT NOW.

If Smoove were to ever come off the bench for this team, it would have to be because we got a great offensive Center like Yao or perhaps an All Star PF like Amare who would fit better beside Al than Smoove. Still, if that were the case, I'd probably start Smoove at SF and bring Marvin off the bench just to keep the peace. You could bring Marv in at the 6 minute mark of the 1st quarter for Smoove and then put Smoove back in for Amare or Al toward the end of the 1st.

So our problem now is that our backcourt can't stop guard penetration and we have an average rebounding frontcourt so the solution is to make the starting backcourt worse defensively, pull our best shotblocker, and put an even worse rebounder at the 4?

Offensively we might be a little better if Horford can pick of some of the inside scoring and foul drawing that Smith leads the team in, but that is at best a question mark.

Going along with Sultan's original post I think Smoove may be your Marvin. Everything has been quiet on the Smoove front thus far. I wouldn't be suprised knowing the type of player he is to find out he's been working on his 3 point shot ala Marvin did last offseason.

Remember Marvin didn't have much of a 3 pt stroke before working on it (obviously the results showed) over last summer.

Knowing how Smoove loves to camp out on the 3 point line I wouldn't be suprised if he's been shooting 1000 3s a day.

Smith would be a cancer off the bench.

Agreed. I don't think he would accept being a sixth man. Smith doesn't have the highest basketball IQ I've seen in a player, any way you slice it - that it would benefit the team- he would view it as a demotion.

I really just don't see where this perfect Josh Smith people are championing showed up last season? Yes, he is a good defensive player, but most writers say Marvin was probably our best defensive player. Yes the shot blocking is a plus, but I'm not saying bench him the whole game. He'll still get his blocks. What we lose in him being on the bench we gain with none ill advised 20 footer or lost possessions do to his over zealousness. It is a very tough sale, but I don't see us stopping many teams on the offensive end with Bibby at point. So why not play to our strengths? Another point all those players are way better fits for the halfcourt game we play than Smith is. He needs to run and that second unit might get more of a leash from Woodson.

Going along with Sultan's original post I think Smoove may be your Marvin. Everything has been quiet on the Smoove front thus far. I wouldn't be suprised knowing the type of player he is to find out he's been working on his 3 point shot ala Marvin did last offseason.

Remember Marvin didn't have much of a 3 pt stroke before working on it (obviously the results showed) over last summer.

Knowing how Smoove loves to camp out on the 3 point line I wouldn't be suprised if he's been shooting 1000 3s a day.

From your keystrokes to God's ears. Smoove with jumpshot, let alone 3pt. range would make us a real threat to move into that elite category. I hope your right.

I think you need to make a clear distinction between blocking 2 shots a game and being a great defensive player.

I don't think Josh Smith is an elite overall defensive player.

Everything u just said was money dude. The poor man's on ball defense is horrible. It's like his feet are too big to move. He's a weak side helper and there u have it. I don't think I'd not start him yet though. 1st half of this season is key. No more excuses for this guy

I don't think he will become a 3-point threat anytime in his career man. I hope he's not that dumb to try this anyway...(1000 3s a day)