• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Jerry Stackhouse Waived by Grizzlies

WTF

Jerry Stackhouse Waived by Grizzlies

Posted: 7/11/2009 4:47:00 AM

Source: Associated Press

The Memphis Grizzlies waived Jerry Stackhouse yesterday, a day after acquiring the NBA veteran and former 76er in a four-team, eight-player trade.

Thursday's blockbuster deal involved the Grizzlies, Dallas Mavericks, Toronto Raptors and Orlando Magic.

As part of the trade, Grizzlies guard Greg Buckner was sent to Dallas, and Memphis gained a second-round pick and cash from Toronto and cash from Dallas.

Stackhouse, 34, was due more than $7 million with the Mavericks next season, but his contract could be bought out for $2 million - likely the amount of cash Memphis received in the trade

Stackhouse could be that taller swingman that I've been campaigning for us to sign on the cheap. At this point in his career he can't really offer much but he could remind me of Mitch Richmond on that championship Laker team that was a deep bench player but came on in a couple games and had a renaissance scoring some points in the clutch. Never hurts to have some deep veteran depth that can actually do something in a game unlike our esteemed Craig Claxton who used to hold that role.

There are arguments for, and against bringin' Stackhouse!

Arguments in favor of acqusition:

- We could use him for 15-20 mpg off the bench,

- I would turn him into a classic 3, although he would see some minutes at 2 as well,

- he can still score from all-over,

- finaly, if I have to choose between him and Mo Evans, I'd definitely take Stack!

Arguments against the acquisition:

- well, there's basicaly only one! All the above-mentioned reasons are offensive minded... and realy, how much more offense do we realy need from our back-court?! And defensively, Mo is better than Stack...

However, as someone already mentioned, he'll probably join Celts, or some Playoff team out West...

P.S. I would rather try to acquire a player who can score in the post (PF or C)... that would help for sure!