• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Horford's critical third year: Can he improve his offensive game?

HAWKS1986

Big Al is a willing team leader and brings a lot of energy to the court. He has intangibles that other young Hawks don't have. However, Big Al was picked as the #3 player in the draft nearly three years ago and 2009 is a critical year for Horford. Is he a franchise player or just an average guy trying to fit in?

Al has had a couple of nice games vs. his old teammate Joakim Noah against Chicago. However, Big Al has disappeared at times against the likes of Boston and Big Baby Davis and was made to look smallish and insignificant at times.

Al is 245lbs, but he needs to add another 10 to 12 lbs. Against comparable power forwards, Carlos Boozer (266lbs.) or Big Baby (280lbs.). Big Al seems to get pushed around a little bit.

Al is a quick player, but I would to see him have more confidence in shooting the basketball. Can he improve his offensive game enough to get on the same level (at least offensively) as a LaMarcus Aldridge, a third year player from Portland.

Al is a keeper for now (as a starter), but I think he risk playing time as a starter in the future if he can't expand his game and have a bigger offensive impact.. Either he becomes a more proficient shot blocker and a Ben Wallace or Nene type player or find a way to play at a similar level shooting the ball like a LaMarcus Aldridge or Carlos Boozer.

2009 is a year of growth for Al Horford, and I hope he has re-dedicated himself into improving his offensive game. The summer is the time to do it. Turnaround jumpers. Jump hooks. Kareem hooks. Post moves. The ability to hit a 15 ft. jumper without hesitating at the top of the key or on the baseline.

Horford has to improve and play better than he did in the 2008-2009 for the Hawks to get to that next level. If Horford plays better and raises his level of play that means more wins in road games against good teams.

Big Al has to be held accountable and played up to his first round status as well. I belive he is capable of doing this, and I am looking forward to seeing a new, improved Big Al for 2009. And a new and improved Big Al with the possibility of adding a veteran like Marcus Camby would change the Hawks frontcourt profile considerably.

Definitely a big year for Al. Realistically, since it appears that the Hawks will be fieldly largely the same team as a year ago, the best hope the team has of really improving is through continued development and maturation of the front line (i.e., Willams, Smith and Horford). All are young, but experienced so the next two years should tell us whether they are going to take their games to the next level and become true difference makers or simply remain nice complementary pieces.

I think Al may be the best of the 3 in the future, only time will tell but thats my take. I think he's more comfortable with doing the dirty work than any of those guys are and thats the kinda thing we need here, he won't grow another 2 inches but he still plays with so much heart. He has major confidence and I think that he really WANTS to be a great player and I hope that he improves his offense to go along with his improved defense.