• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Interested in Ike Diogu

MaceCase

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/60586/20090715/diogu_unlikely_to_return_to_sacramento/

Diogu told the Sacramento Bee that "about 10 teams" have shown interest in him, including Atlanta, New Orleans, Boston, Dallas, Charlotte, Toronto, Denver and Washington.

He could be an interesting PF for us. Scores at tremendous clip considering the limited minutes he's been given over the years and rebounds well.

Has a career Per36 of 17.7ppg and 8.9rebounds to go along with 1.0blks.

Is 6'8" 255lbs but has both a wingspan and standing reach longer and taller than Al's to go along with his strength and girth allowing him to see spot duty at C. Not known for his defense but given his length could be adequate at it. All in all could be a cheap capable sub for us to go along with a banger such as Magliore to shore up our bench with those veteran bigs Woody keeps going on about.

• Like 1

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/60586/20090715/diogu_unlikely_to_return_to_sacramento/

He could be an interesting PF for us. Scores at tremendous clip considering the limited minutes he's been given over the years and rebounds well.

Has a career Per36 of 17.7ppg and 8.9rebounds to go along with 1.0blks.

Is 6'8" 255lbs but has both a wingspan and standing reach longer and taller than Al's to go along with his strength and girth allowing him to see spot duty at C. Not known for his defense but given his length could be adequate at it. All in all could be a cheap capable sub for us to go along with a banger such as Magliore to shore up our bench with those veteran bigs Woody keeps going on about.

Me Likey!

Hawk88

Hard to get excited about possibly signing a guy that 10 teams are interested in when we struggle to bring in free agents. I was high on Diogu his rookie year but I don't have much hope that he'll ever accomplish much in the NBA anymore.

Hard to get excited about possibly signing a guy that 10 teams are interested in when we struggle to bring in free agents. I was high on Diogu his rookie year but I don't have much hope that he'll ever accomplish much in the NBA anymore.

But Dolfan, notice our team is mentioned first and it's not just because it's in alphabetical order :tease:

My general perspective on low cost back-up big men is that you are almost never going to get someone with a complete package of skills, obviously. There is always a compromise. Some guy may have a decent low post game but chances are, if he is cheap, he is a horrible defender.

I thought BK said he wanted a banger. I assumed that meant a guy who would "bang" on defense and hit the boards. I don't think Diogu is that guy, but he does have some skills that may be useful - he would make Morris absolutely redundant though.

The one category of player that seems to be readily available at a low cost to many teams is an undersized power forward. They come in many forms, but alot of teams have a guy that can legitimately contribute (think everything from a Millsap to guys like Powe, Landry, Maxiell, Haslem (before his contract), Bass, etc.).

• Premium Member

For those interested, Diogu's statistical counterparts are guys like Carl Landry, Craig Smith, Leon Powe, Brandon Bass, and even (poor man's) Paul Millsap.

An ideal backup 4, if you ask me. His biggest negatives are a mediocre DReb% and his foul rate. The latter seems to be slowly improving.

Edited by mrhonline

I never put much into those per minute stats because if he was that good he would be getting minutes somewhere. He did make a late run at uping his free agent value by scoring 28 and 32 points in his last two games. lol

For those interested, Diogu's statistical counterparts are guys like Carl Landry, Craig Smith, Leon Powe, Brandon Bass, and even (poor man's) Paul Millsap.

An ideal backup 4, if you ask me. His biggest negatives are a mediocre DReb% and his foul rate. The latter seems to be slowly improving.

I haven't checked but doesn't have have a pretty colorful injury history as well?

• Premium Member

I never put much into those per minute stats because if he was that good he would be getting minutes somewhere. He did make a late run at uping his free agent value by scoring 28 and 32 points in his last two games. lol

Generally, I agree. But Diogu has a bit unfortunate with injuries and the unlucky fortune of having the right salary to help trades go through.

He's not good enough NOT to trade for a better player. But, for the right price, he's a good addition in the post. Reading about Diogu on the web, it sounds like he's a good guy who is a hard worder in practice (according to veteran Bobby Jackson).

Edited by mrhonline

not to mention that we are in absolute dire need of more post players who can score.

I like Ike (no pun intended).....I watched him a lot with the Warriors when he was drafted. He didn't really get a chance but definitely has good skill sets. He also never got a chance after he was dealt in the Dunleavy Jr. trade to Indy for S. Jax. I was certain he would get a chance in Indy but I guess the injuries piled up. If he passes the physicals and everything, I would love to have him as a backup big. Like a 9th or 10th man in the rotation. Defintely better than Morris, and probably Solo as well. Very girthy guy that sets wide screens (ala zaza) and has a power game but flashes some finess at times. I just wish he was 2 inches taller, he's only 6'8". I'm all for it though.