• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Cap situation

DrReality

• Premium Member

Well, we're not really sure what Marvin got yet. Because the Hawks have several roster spots to fill, I'd expect them to give some minimum salary deals and maybe one slightly above the BAE (perhaps $2.5M to Joe Smith?).

Does anyone know what space we have left since we signed MW.

I believe that after the Marvin signing we are at 63.2 Million with 10 players under contract. However, it looks like the salary cap and the luxury tax threshold might shrink next year so thats probably the biggest worry. With luxury tax at 69.9 million this year, that leaves 6.7 million dollars to sign other players (4).

I believe that after the Marvin signing we are at 63.2 Million with 10 players under contract. However, it looks like the salary cap and the luxury tax threshold might shrink next year so thats probably the biggest worry. With luxury tax at 69.9 million this year, that leaves 6.7 million dollars to sign other players (4).

Not really.

We are probably over the cap (don't know for sure how Bibby, ZaZa, and MArvin;s contracts are structured) now but under the luxury tax limit. Teams cannot go over the cap to sign other team's FA unless they use the MLE. I believe the MLE is $5.78 mill this year.

If I do understand the cap rules accurately please correct me.

Edited by coachx

Not really.

We are probably over the cap (don't know for sure how Bibby, ZaZa, and MArvin;s contracts are structured) now but under the luxury tax limit. Teams cannot go over the cap to sign other team's FA unless they use the MLE. I believe the MLE is $5.78 mill this year.

You are correct in that we are over the cap and can mostly only utilize the MLE now along with the BAE to sign other teams FAs but we can also hand out as many league minimum deals as we want to fill up to the 15 man limit.

From Hoopshype:

Atlanta Hawks – Team Salary Link

Restricted: Marvin Williams (agreed to terms with Atlanta - five years, $40 million), Josh Childress (returning to Greece, Hawks can make restricted again in 2010), Solomon Jones (agreed to terms with Indiana - two years), Thomas Gardner, Mario West, Othello Hunter

Unrestricted: Mike Bibby (agreed to terms with Atlanta - three years, $18 million), Zaza Pachulia (agreed to terms with Atlanta - four years, $19 million), Ronald Murray

Non-Guaranteed: Randolph Morris

First I've heard about Morris?

Not really.

What do you mean by "Not really."? The 63.2 million number I calculated is over the cap, just not over the luxury tax line. Even over the cap, we have options to sign players with (as other posters have commented).

What do you mean by "Not really."? The 63.2 million number I calculated is over the cap, just not over the luxury tax line. Even over the cap, we have options to sign players with (as other posters have commented).

You over simplified it.

You simply took the ( luxury tax limit ) - ( your percieved current Hawks contracts) = $6.7 mill to spend

It is not that simple as I and others have stated. That is not the way you get the answer to how much money the Hawks have to spend to sign other teams FA's. When you are over the cap you can only use exceptions such as the MLE & the small BAE to sign other team's FAs.

On top of that we can only guess how Marvin, Bibby, and ZaZa's contracts are structured. They could be front loaded contracts or they could be evenly distributed through the years of their respective contract length, (or like most contracts) they start low and go up with a 5% to 10% raise each year.

Edited by coachx

You over simplified it.

You simply took the ( luxury tax limit ) - ( your percieved current Hawks contracts) = $6.7 mill to spend

It is not that simple as I and others have stated. That is not the way you get the answer to how much money the Hawks have to spend to sign other teams FA's. When you are over the cap you can only use exceptions such as the MLE & the small BAE to sign other team's FAs.

On top of that we can only guess how Marvin, Bibby, and ZaZa's contracts are structured. They could be front loaded contracts or they could be evenly distributed through the years of their respective contract length, (or like most contracts) they start low and go up with a 5% to 10% raise each year.

The MLE and the LLE exception together are more than 6.7 million so if that's what we have left under the luxury tax then we can spend all of that on 2 players if we wanted and still sign more guys as long as it's for the vet minimum, although of course we won't do that since it will put us over the luxury tax but we can do it.

You over simplified it.

I understand the MLE, the bi-annual exception and minimum salary exception and the fact we are over the cap (I did run the numbers) :). But between all those things, it is actually that simple. If we want to spend that money, we have the means under the CBA.

Also, for Bibby and Zaza' s contract, I don't have to guess. I have a source: www.espn.com. They are reporting Bibby's as front-loaded-decreasing each year and Zaza's as even. Some might disagree with them, but that is what they are reporting.

I understand the MLE, the bi-annual exception and minimum salary exception and the fact we are over the cap (I did run the numbers) :). But between all those things, it is actually that simple. If we want to spend that money, we have the means under the CBA.

Also, for Bibby and Zaza' s contract, I don't have to guess. I have a source: www.espn.com. They are reporting Bibby's as front-loaded-decreasing each year and Zaza's as even. Some might disagree with them, but that is what they are reporting.

I don't know whether I trust ESPN on that or not and I'm waiting until I see it on Shams site but I hope it's right.

I am glad you understand the different expections. However, in your first post you did not mention any exceptions at all. That is why I brought it up (b/c no one had mentioned it in this thread including you). Again, for the third time..........you simply subtracted the current salary minus the luxury tax limit in your intitial post.

Why are you trying to argue what you posted in your first post of this thread? What is the point ? Your first post is what it is ! Its right there in plain English.

I hope Bibby's deal is front loaded. Any word on how Marvin's is structured ? I heard it was 5 years at $37.5 mill with incentives that could push it to $40 mill. However, I have not seen any reports of how it is structured.

Edited by coachx

I am glad you understand the different expections. However, in your first post you did not mention any exceptions at all. That is why I brought it up (b/c no one had mentioned it in this thread including you). Again, for the third time..........you simply subtracted the current salary minus the luxury tax limit in your intitial post.

Why are you trying to argue what you posted in your first post of this thread? What is the point ? Your first post is what it is ! Its right there in plain English.

I hope Bibby's deal is front loaded. Any word on how Marvin's is structured ? I heard it was 5 years at $37.5 mill with incentives that could push it to $40 mill. However, I have not seen any reports of how it is structured.

No reason to get agitated here guys. I think most of us have understood for a while now that all we have left to work with are the MLE and LLE exceptions and xhawk simply assumed we all knew that, or at least that's what I gathered when I read his initial post.