• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Josh Smith poll

exodus

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I don't really think he "posts up" in the traditional sense very much. He's a lot more about taking his man off the dribble and using his quick first step, left hand, and athletic ability.

But for the purpose of this poll I guess he does "post up" if it even happens once, right?

Personally I don't really think he "posts up" in the traditional sense very much. He's a lot more about taking his man off the dribble and using his quick first step, left hand, and athletic ability.

But for the purpose of this poll I guess he does "post up" if it even happens once, right?

If you catch the ball in the post with your back to the basket that is posting up.

Uhm I would have to answer NO S***! Part of why we complain so much is that he doesn't post up enough especially considering how effective he's shown himself to be down on the block. Maybe people think posting up is backing down your man for 6 feet before putting up a hook shot but I define it by doing work out of the "post" ie. painted area. If you were to categorize "posting up" that rigidly then niether Duncan or Amar'e really "post up".

I voted no. I don't think of Josh Smith's moves as 'posting up'. If he does post up, he doesn't do it like most bigs do.

I guess it depends on your definition of posting up.

I always thought it was what Shaq, Dwight, and Yao do.

Those guys all post up in different ways, as does Josh, who plays PF instead of a large C like those 3 guys.

I voted no. I don't think of Josh Smith's moves as 'posting up'. If he does post up, he doesn't do it like most bigs do.

I guess it depends on your definition of posting up.

I always thought it was what Shaq, Dwight, and Yao do.

Funny how you don't give your definition of what posting up is. Are you trying to say that Shaq, Dwight and Yao are the only players in the NBA that post up?

I agree with that and I'll also say that Josh Smith doesn't do that very often, or it's a very small percentage of what he does.

He does it plenty. Normally he gets it on the right side and then faces up and drives to the middle for his jump hook. His improved post game is the main reason he shot a career best 49% from the field.

Edited by exodus

He does it plenty. Normally he gets it on the right side and then faces up and drives to the middle for his jump hook. His improved post game is the main reason he shot a career best 49% from the field.

I don't consider that to be posting up if he turns around and faces up as soon as he catches the ball since at that point he's again using his quickness to beat someone off the dribble rather than backing him down and using traditional post moves.

I don't consider that to be posting up if he turns around and faces up as soon as he catches the ball since at that point he's again using his quickness to beat someone off the dribble rather than backing him down and using traditional post moves.

When i said this earlier in the thread

If you catch the ball in the post with your back to the basket that is posting up

You agreed. Explain please.

• Premium Member

Diesel claims in this thread

http://www.hawksquawk.net/community/index.php?showtopic=338436&st=20

that Josh Smith doesn't post up. What say you?

wow now Josh Smith is a post player. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

the guy has no real moves in the post. If he's not dunking then it's a guaranteed turnover due to his limited ball handling ability.

wow now Josh Smith is a post player. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

the guy has no real moves in the post. If he's not dunking then it's a guaranteed turnover due to his limited ball handling ability.

As usual your post doesnt address the topic. The question wasn't "is Smith a post player" or "does Smith have great post moves".

You don't have to be a "post player" to post up. Flip was posting up Chalmers time and again in the playoffs but Flip isn't a post player.

BTW Smith averaged only 3 ppg on dunks this season.

Edited by exodus

• Premium Member

As usual your post has no relevance to the thread at all. The question wasn't "is Smith a post player" or "does Smith have great post moves".

You don't have to be a "post player" to post up. Flip was posting up Chalmers time and again in the playoffs but Flip isn't a post player.

BTW Smith averaged only 3 ppg on dunks this season.

well...that's different story. He does post up but I don't think he's effective when he does it. Horford is a better post player (moves wise) but no where near as consistent as he needs to be.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

well...that's different story. He does post up but I don't think he's effective when he does it. Horford is a better post player (moves wise) but no where near as consistent as he needs to be.

If Smith can't shoot, is ineffective in the post and can't dribble then how does he score 15+ a game?

• Premium Member

If Smith can't shoot, is ineffective in the post and can't dribble then how does he score 15+ a game?

when I see "post" I think about catching the ball with back to basket, dribble left, dribble right, then make a move. I think Josh is more effective when he catches the ball facing the basket then goes straight into his moves.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

When i said this earlier in the thread

You agreed. Explain please.

The way that I see it a play is a post up play if the player catches the ball with his back to the basket and then backs his guy down, spins on him, gives him some type of fake, etc. in order to score in the post.

What Josh does is catch the ball with his back to the basket, turn around and face up, and then uses his speed and athleticism to get past the player. To me he has the "post up" game of a big guard.

He's certainly effective at scoring in the paint but he doesn't get those points by being a traditional post up player that's for sure.

when I see "post" I think about catching the ball with back to basket, dribble left, dribble right, then make a move. I think Josh is more effective when he catches the ball facing the basket then goes straight into his moves.

In order for him to catch the ball facing the basket he has to be out on the perimeter. He isn't going to catch the ball facing the basket when he is 10 feet from the rim.

But if he posts up and catches the ball with his back to the basket all he has to do is make one pivot step and he is facing the basket. Since he is closer in it is easier to get to the rim.