• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Merged: LaRoche coming back to Braves

HawkItus

Oops. I think I misheard who the report was talking about. It looks like Kenshin Kawakami will be the odd man out in the rotation, which makes more sense to me. Derek Lowe's pitching has picked up in his last three starts whereas Kawakami's pitching has tailed. I wonder if I am alone in being not all that impressed with Kawakami this season?

When Hudson gets back, this pitching staff has a chance to be nasty:

1. Javier Vasquez

2. Tim Hudson

3. Jair Jurrjens

4. Derek Lowe

5. Tommy Hanson

It's an all righty staff, but it's a good one. The next starting pitcher to come out of the system is probably in A ball right now. Two guys I have my eye on are Zeke Spruill and JJ Hoover. I anticipate JJ Hoover will move fast once he moves up and gets out of Low A ball.

With regards to Kawakami, I am actually very impressed with him...for 3 innings. He's actually dynamite for his first 45 pitches. This isn't a new idea, as I think it's been written before that he's a 3-inning pitcher, and it was speculated he might move to the bullpen even to make room for Tommy Hanson. That was back when Glavine was supposed to take a spot. Those who've observed Kawakami know he starts out great and then falls apart every game in the 5th inning. That's why he's only won 5 games.

Look at Kawakami's splits:

pitches 0-15: BAA .247 OPS .778

pitches 16-30: BAA .241 OPS .691

pitches 31-45: BAA .213 OPS .589!

pitches 46-60: BAA .322 OPS 1.093!

Kawakami should be what Steve Karsay was for the Indians of the late '90's--a middle reliever who could sometimes get a 3-inning save. He's paid too much to do that, but having that kind of reliever is extremely valuable. He can pitch 120 innings out of the pen and rest your entire bullpen on some nights with multi-inning outtings. I kind of believe Cox is way to rigid and stubborn to employ this wonderful option, but just maybe he'll try now.

With regards to Kawakami, I am actually very impressed with him...for 3 innings. He's actually dynamite for his first 45 pitches. This isn't a new idea, as I think it's been written before that he's a 3-inning pitcher, and it was speculated he might move to the bullpen even to make room for Tommy Hanson. That was back when Glavine was supposed to take a spot. Those who've observed Kawakami know he starts out great and then falls apart every game in the 5th inning. That's why he's only won 5 games.

Kawakami should be what Steve Karsay was for the Indians of the late '90's--a middle reliever who could sometimes get a 3-inning save. He's paid too much to do that, but having that kind of reliever is extremely valuable. He can pitch 120 innings out of the pen and rest your entire bullpen on some nights with multi-inning outtings. I kind of believe Cox is way to rigid and stubborn to employ this wonderful option, but just maybe he'll try now.

I think he would be an interesting relief pitching option. They could use him in long relief and move Kris Medlin into a middle relief role. I really would have liked to seen the Braves pick up another reliever before the deadline. They need someone that can lessen the load on Peter Moylan. The Braves have used him like he is going out of style this season, and his numbers are down across the board. You have to wonder if he has bee used too much after having TJ surgery, or if the magic he had two seasons ago has just worn off.

I think he would be an interesting relief pitching option. They could use him in long relief and move Kris Medlin into a middle relief role. I really would have liked to seen the Braves pick up another reliever before the deadline. They need someone that can lessen the load on Peter Moylan. The Braves have used him like he is going out of style this season, and his numbers are down across the board. You have to wonder if he has bee used too much after having TJ surgery, or if the magic he had two seasons ago has just worn off.

Moylan has had a sub-3.00 ERA since posting a 7.88 turd in April. He took some time to adjust, but now he's pitching fine. We need someone to take the load off the whole Flaherty-Moylan-Gonzalez-Soriano combo that Cox uses almost every single night in the last 3 innings. I think Kawakami and Medlen are more than capable of doing that. Just gotta trust them. Both of those guys should be going 2 innings each time they come in because both have that kind of stamina. If they're used that way, we'd have an extremely deep and oft-rested bullpen that could match up with anybody's

Changing the subject a bit, the league should really think about doing something with the Pittsburgh Pirates if they continu to be managed the way they are. I know the excuse of being a smaller market team gets used, but look at the players they have traded in the past few years. This could have been a very competitive team. The Pirates, just in the past few years, have traded away Jason Bay, Xavier Nady, and Nate McLouth in the outfield, Aramis Ramirez at third base, Jack Wilson at short stop, Freddy Sanchez at second base, Jason Kendall at catcher, and now Adam LaRoche at first base. It won't be long before they deal Paul Maholm and Zach Dukes, and how much longer will they keep Ryan Doumit at catcher?

Give them a yr or 2 and see what they do then. They got some good players for those guys they traded. Their payroll has to be next to nothing so when all those young guys make it to the bigs they will have plenty of cash to spend to bring in vets to complete their team. Now if they dont spend money once these guys reach the bigs then I would say someone needs to do something. What they are doing is not a bad idea as long as you take advantage of the cheap young talent by surrounding them with some high priced vets when the younger guys are ready. It just sucks for pittsburg cause they have been losing for so long in such a good sports town.

I will be interesting to see what happens when Huddy gets back. Maybe the Braves could go with a two starter day: Huddy for 3 innings + KK 3 innings + the mighty, mighty MGS trio? At least for the first few of Huddy's starts. <Shrug> /This was somewhat TIC/

• Moderators

I'm not that excited about LaRoche. At least Kotchman made contact. In either case I don't see where the Braves think we will have the bats to make the playoffs. The rotation is awesome though so i hope we do something in the offseason to bring in some pop. We should be riding this rotation for a little while if we can.

Its hard to believe the bats we have at Catcher and shortstop (plus Chipper) and we can't find any outfielders or first basemen power hitters. We've fielded the hardest positions first.

The Future Implications of the Casey Kotchman for Adam LaRoche trade?

When the Braves made the deal for Casey Kotchman last season, they got a guy who had 2 more years on his contract. When that deal was made, everyone saw Casey as a place holder for first base prospect Freddie Freeman.

Now, this deal gives Atlanta more pop at first base in the meantime, but what does it mean for the future? Adam is a free agent after this season. The free agent crop at first base is very slim, and Adam may very well be the top guy on the market. Knowing Frank Wren, he's not going to do anything that will block Freddie Freeman at this point. Now, do the Braves think Freddie will be ready to step in at first base in spring training? He's been very good at Mississippi, but he's not nearly as advanced as Jason Heyward. Many feel that Heyward will be ready at least by June of next season. Those same people feel it may be 2011 before Freddie is ready. What does that mean for 2010 then?

Will Adam sign a short term deal to stay in Atlanta?

IMO, this is going to leave Atlanta in a bind at first base next season. The market for first basemen is very slim, and if the Braves have to resort to playing Barbaro Canizares at first base for part of the season, his defense or lack thereof could very well lose some games for them. I don't think moving Chipper to first base is a legitimate option at this point, mainly because we don't have anyone in the minors that can step in at third base.

Good set of questions KB. Atlanta is in a bind at 1b.

I agree that Chipper to first probably doesn't make sense, but more so because if you do that, you block Freeman. If the Braves wanted they could put Prado at 3rd and Omar at 2nd (or KJ).

Mark Bradly writes an interesting column this morning asking if the Braves are out of both races in a couple of weeks, do you bring up both Heyward and Freeman? Bradly's take is that you don't because you want to give those two guys as much time to develop as possible.

I don't know if there is a good answer. I would like to see both of them go up to AAA before coming to the bigs. But time is getting short. Do you go ahead and promote them to AAA and risk them struggling, or do you let them play the rest of the season at AA and get complacent? I think I am for promoting to AAA in a week and then see where they are on Sept 1.

the 09-10 offseason is going to be very interesting.

Will LaRoche sign a 1 year deal?

If not, who do the Braves get to cover 1st?

What are they going to do with KJ? I think he's pretty much done, but he is insurence for LaRoche in a way.

What does the team do with the excess of starting pitching? It seems like there is a big trade that could be made. Even though I've been for trading Vazquez, it really seems like that is a bad idea. The guy can just deal. However, what can you get for the others? Maybe KK can get us that bridge firstbaseman?

Good set of questions KB. Atlanta is in a bind at 1b.

I agree that Chipper to first probably doesn't make sense, but more so because if you do that, you block Freeman. If the Braves wanted they could put Prado at 3rd and Omar at 2nd (or KJ).

Mark Bradly writes an interesting column this morning asking if the Braves are out of both races in a couple of weeks, do you bring up both Heyward and Freeman? Bradly's take is that you don't because you want to give those two guys as much time to develop as possible.

I don't know if there is a good answer. I would like to see both of them go up to AAA before coming to the bigs. But time is getting short. Do you go ahead and promote them to AAA and risk them struggling, or do you let them play the rest of the season at AA and get complacent? I think I am for promoting to AAA in a week and then see where they are on Sept 1.

the 09-10 offseason is going to be very interesting.

Will LaRoche sign a 1 year deal?

If not, who do the Braves get to cover 1st?

What are they going to do with KJ? I think he's pretty much done, but he is insurence for LaRoche in a way.

What does the team do with the excess of starting pitching? It seems like there is a big trade that could be made. Even though I've been for trading Vazquez, it really seems like that is a bad idea. The guy can just deal. However, what can you get for the others? Maybe KK can get us that bridge firstbaseman?

Well, I'm going to watch the Mississippi Braves play on the 28th of this month, so I'm wanting Jason and Freddie to be at Mississippi when I am there.

I think points could be made both ways. As CBA pointed out earlier, Jason Heyward has what most young hitters don't have....a tremendous amount of patience at the plate and a great eye for the strike zone. If he were to be promoted now, he would probably do well. IMO, he will actually face more major league caliber pitchers in AA than in AAA ball. AAA ball to me seems to be skipped by most legitimate prospects. The Braves in the past haven't hesitated to promote straight from AA ball. Brian McCann, Jeff Francoeur, and Jarrod Saltalmacchia were promoted from AA ball. On the other side, I think most would like to make sure Jason and Freddie get as many at bats as they can to ensure they are ready before promoting them. Jason Heyward is hitting .400+ with a 1.200+ OPS through 100 at bats at Mississippi. Is there really any need for him to stay at that level? He's already proven that his first few at bats were not flukes.

With Freddie, I think he needs a few more at bats just to ensure that he's going to grow into his body and develop his power.

Well, I'm going to watch the Mississippi Braves play on the 28th of this month, so I'm wanting Jason and Freddie to be at Mississippi when I am there.

I think points could be made both ways. As CBA pointed out earlier, Jason Heyward has what most young hitters don't have....a tremendous amount of patience at the plate and a great eye for the strike zone. If he were to be promoted now, he would probably do well. IMO, he will actually face more major league caliber pitchers in AA than in AAA ball. AAA ball to me seems to be skipped by most legitimate prospects. The Braves in the past haven't hesitated to promote straight from AA ball. Brian McCann, Jeff Francoeur, and Jarrod Saltalmacchia were promoted from AA ball. On the other side, I think most would like to make sure Jason and Freddie get as many at bats as they can to ensure they are ready before promoting them. Jason Heyward is hitting .400+ with a 1.200+ OPS through 100 at bats at Mississippi. Is there really any need for him to stay at that level? He's already proven that his first few at bats were not flukes.

With Freddie, I think he needs a few more at bats just to ensure that he's going to grow into his body and develop his power.

Freddie probably won't be ready until 2011. You're exactly right that he needs to grow into his body, but that takes years, not a few hundred AB's. I expect him to be a top level 1B man in 5 years. Jason Heyward is ready now, but I wouldn't mind seeing him wait til June 2010 to come up for good. Heyward will mash AAA whether it's this fall or next spring.