• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Braves Sign First Round Pick Mike Minor

KB21

The Braves have signed first round draft pick Mike Minor, LHP from Vanderbilt, finally. Get this though! They gave him a record signing bonus for Atlanta Braves draft picks. Mike Minor will be getting a $2.4 million signing bonus. The Braves previous high was the $2.2 million they gave Jeff Francoeur back in 2002. Also of note, MLB actually stopped this deal from happenin two months ago. The Braves actually agreed to the bonus money with Mike Minor BEFORE THE DRAFT!!! MLB stepped in and told the Braves to wait before announcing the deal so it wouldn't effect the negotiations the Reds had with 8th pick Mike Leake.

A few thoughts on this. One, this pretty much squelches the thought that the reason the Braves drafted Mike Minor was because he would sign a below slot money deal. Of course, this brings up a point I feel needs to be made. Going with a college pitcher is very much against the grain for the Braves. If they were willing to go over slot to sign a guy, then why not draft one of the high upside high school arms that were considered to be tough signings in Jacob Turner, Matthew Purke, Tyler Matzek, and Shelby Miller? I thnk Mike Minor is a solid pitcher, but the Braves have effectively overdrafted him and are now overpaying him. I thnk Mike Minor's upside is as an end of the rotation starter in the majors. That isn't bad, but that isn't top 10 pick worthy, IMO. A guy like Jacob Turner has the ability to top out as an ace on the staff.

Second, why is MLB stepping in trying to keep this from happening? They did the same thing with Jason Heyward in 2007. How much farther along would Heyward be had he been able to get some at bats during those two months he sat out because MLB didn't want the Braves to announce the deal yet. Bud Selig is such a moron. He's trying to control the rookie signing bonuses, ineffectively I might add but what else would you expect from Bud Selig. At the same time, he lets the Yankees spend $200 million on every free agent they sign. All MLB has effectively done is prevent Mike Minor from making a meaningful impact this year.

Also of note, it appears Mike Minor and his agent have eyes toward playing in the Arizona Fall League this fall. Mike Minor will report to Orlando to get his arm in shape. I don't know if there is enough time for him to get some pitches in at Rome or not. If he does get to pitch in the AFL this fall, then he should be in AA ball at some point in 2010.

This is a pick I still disagree with on the premise that the Braves went against their philosophy on drafting pitchers and not because I don't think Mike will be a good pitcher. I've said it in another thread, but I just don't like using high picks on college pitchers.

The Braves have signed first round draft pick Mike Minor, LHP from Vanderbilt, finally. Get this though! They gave him a record signing bonus for Atlanta Braves draft picks. Mike Minor will be getting a $2.4 million signing bonus. The Braves previous high was the $2.2 million they gave Jeff Francoeur back in 2002. Also of note, MLB actually stopped this deal from happenin two months ago. The Braves actually agreed to the bonus money with Mike Minor BEFORE THE DRAFT!!! MLB stepped in and told the Braves to wait before announcing the deal so it wouldn't effect the negotiations the Reds had with 8th pick Mike Leake.

A few thoughts on this. One, this pretty much squelches the thought that the reason the Braves drafted Mike Minor was because he would sign a below slot money deal. Of course, this brings up a point I feel needs to be made. Going with a college pitcher is very much against the grain for the Braves. If they were willing to go over slot to sign a guy, then why not draft one of the high upside high school arms that were considered to be tough signings in Jacob Turner, Matthew Purke, Tyler Matzek, and Shelby Miller? I thnk Mike Minor is a solid pitcher, but the Braves have effectively overdrafted him and are now overpaying him. I thnk Mike Minor's upside is as an end of the rotation starter in the majors. That isn't bad, but that isn't top 10 pick worthy, IMO. A guy like Jacob Turner has the ability to top out as an ace on the staff.

Second, why is MLB stepping in trying to keep this from happening? They did the same thing with Jason Heyward in 2007. How much farther along would Heyward be had he been able to get some at bats during those two months he sat out because MLB didn't want the Braves to announce the deal yet. Bud Selig is such a moron. He's trying to control the rookie signing bonuses, ineffectively I might add but what else would you expect from Bud Selig. At the same time, he lets the Yankees spend $200 million on every free agent they sign. All MLB has effectively done is prevent Mike Minor from making a meaningful impact this year.

Also of note, it appears Mike Minor and his agent have eyes toward playing in the Arizona Fall League this fall. Mike Minor will report to Orlando to get his arm in shape. I don't know if there is enough time for him to get some pitches in at Rome or not. If he does get to pitch in the AFL this fall, then he should be in AA ball at some point in 2010.

This is a pick I still disagree with on the premise that the Braves went against their philosophy on drafting pitchers and not because I don't think Mike will be a good pitcher. I've said it in another thread, but I just don't like using high picks on college pitchers.

Don't get it. Braves really did overdraft this guy with our highest pick in nearly 20 years, and now they're overpaying him. I agree on all points. I would have either drafted a higher upside guy at that spot or used the pick on one of the 3B prospects, since that is a position that is typically hard to fill with a star-caliber player. We really have nobody to step in for Chipper (even the single-A prospects do not project all that well), unless you count Prado, but I'd much rather see Prado play 2B where he could be an all-star and not 3B where he'd be perhaps above average. This isn't a total loss, as we can always use more pitching, and I think this guy projects to be a 3rd or 4th starter. We can also always use SP prospects in trades. Todd Redmond's current success (5 earned runs in last 5 starts) will give us one more chip we can use in deals for next season.

Don't get it. Braves really did overdraft this guy with our highest pick in nearly 20 years, and now they're overpaying him. I agree on all points. I would have either drafted a higher upside guy at that spot or used the pick on one of the 3B prospects, since that is a position that is typically hard to fill with a star-caliber player. We really have nobody to step in for Chipper (even the single-A prospects do not project all that well), unless you count Prado, but I'd much rather see Prado play 2B where he could be an all-star and not 3B where he'd be perhaps above average. This isn't a total loss, as we can always use more pitching, and I think this guy projects to be a 3rd or 4th starter. We can also always use SP prospects in trades. Todd Redmond's current success (5 earned runs in last 5 starts) will give us one more chip we can use in deals for next season.

I would have gone with one of the high school pitchers, but if I had to look at a position player, I would have taken Bobby Borchering, a high school third baseman from Florida. He had the best power hitting ability among the high school prospects. Now, his body may have eventually moved him off third base, but I don't think there were any other third basemen worthy of a selection that high. What amazes me is that they didn't even look at a 3rd baseman till they drafted Jordan Kreke in the 13th round of so.

I would have gone with one of the high school pitchers, but if I had to look at a position player, I would have taken Bobby Borchering, a high school third baseman from Florida. He had the best power hitting ability among the high school prospects. Now, his body may have eventually moved him off third base, but I don't think there were any other third basemen worthy of a selection that high. What amazes me is that they didn't even look at a 3rd baseman till they drafted Jordan Kreke in the 13th round of so.

The best option is probably to throw money at Ryan Zimmerman or Hanley Ramirez in 2 years. I think Hanley should play at 3B as he continues to fill out. Zimmerman is going to be the best pure 3B to hit the market in years, and he'll be just entering his prime at 26. The Nats may look to trade him in another year since it will be his contract year, but the way they threw money at Adam Dunn, I think they might be trying to sink a lot of money into that team in the coming years. Either way, that's a great 2011 FA class for the hot corner. Both guys play for small markets and will demand large contracts.

CBA, have you been monitoring Adam Milligan any this season? This guy has a 1.114 OPS through two levels right now. He has hit 8 home runs and has multiple extra base hits at Rome. He's another JUCO guy the Braves have in their system, and he played his high school ball not far from where I live. The Braves actually drafted this guy three times. The guy is killing the ball.

The best option is probably to throw money at Ryan Zimmerman or Hanley Ramirez in 2 years. I think Hanley should play at 3B as he continues to fill out. Zimmerman is going to be the best pure 3B to hit the market in years, and he'll be just entering his prime at 26. The Nats may look to trade him in another year since it will be his contract year, but the way they threw money at Adam Dunn, I think they might be trying to sink a lot of money into that team in the coming years. Either way, that's a great 2011 FA class for the hot corner. Both guys play for small markets and will demand large contracts.

Hahahaha, you must be crazy if you think the Braves would actually have the money to sign Hanley Ramirez. Hanley is one of the best players in baseball right now and he will also be one of the highest paid in the history of the game.

And I don't like hearing 'We should have gotten this guy instead of Michael Minor or that guy'. The scouts see this kid every day and I'm sure they know what they're doing out there more than we do. I'm sure, CBA that you have never seen a single game of Michael Minor in your life. So I would suggest that you save your judgment on the kid until you actually see him pitch in any level of the minors. And the draft tactic you proposed is nonsense. You don't draft players in the first round to fill a need. There were no 3B prospects in the first round that would have been able to step in once Chipper Jones retires. This isn't the NFL Draft where you can replace players constantly through the draft....

And if it were anything, I really wanted Zach Wheeler but he was taken right before us. I also hear the Braves already had a deal in place for Michael Minor a few days before the draft but weren't allowed to say anything because of MLB rules against that or something... I don't have the link but if you look online you will surely find it. Anyways, I'm sure the scouts see something in this kid that we don't. He looks like he's MLB ready and should be ready in about two maybe three years if he develops fairly in the minors. He has a plus-plus changeup and has room to develop more velocity on his 4-seamer. I wasn't a big fan of the pick either, but I have faith in our scouts and I think Minor looks like a solid and a lot safer pick.

CBA, have you been monitoring Adam Milligan any this season? This guy has a 1.114 OPS through two levels right now. He has hit 8 home runs and has multiple extra base hits at Rome. He's another JUCO guy the Braves have in their system, and he played his high school ball not far from where I live. The Braves actually drafted this guy three times. The guy is killing the ball.

Yeah, for a rookie pro he is killing the ball in the minors, but he needs to improve his strikeout numbers from what I can tell. Striking out in nearly a fourth of your at-bats is not a good thing. Maybe he's just making adjustments in Rome.

Yeah, for a rookie pro he is killing the ball in the minors, but he needs to improve his strikeout numbers from what I can tell. Striking out in nearly a fourth of your at-bats is not a good thing. Maybe he's just making adjustments in Rome.

That's the case with most young hitters not named Jason Heyward and Freddie Freeman. Most young hitters tend to strike out more than they should and walk very little. They have to get a feel for the strike zone and develop more patience at the plate. The power and slugging ability Milligan is showing is impessive.

Cody Johnson is another guy. His power is off the charts, but so are his strike outs.

Hahahaha, you must be crazy if you think the Braves would actually have the money to sign Hanley Ramirez. Hanley is one of the best players in baseball right now and he will also be one of the highest paid in the history of the game.

I agree that is Liberty still owns the team the idea of getting either is pretty low. However, Liberty is going to sell the team. Look for Arthur Blank or Mark Cuban to make a run at the team soon as Liberty's tax thing expires and they can sell.

I agree that is Liberty still owns the team the idea of getting either is pretty low. However, Liberty is going to sell the team. Look for Arthur Blank or Mark Cuban to make a run at the team soon as Liberty's tax thing expires and they can sell.

Arthur Blank being the owner of this team would be a pipe dream.

Arthur Blank being the owner of this team would be a pipe dream.

Be careful what you wish for. Arthur Blank has cooled off for the time being with the Falcons, but he has been somewhat of a meddlesome owner in Atlanta. He's the reaon Atlanta foolishly sunk $100 million into a guy that cannot play quarterback in the NFL. Mark Cuban would be even worse. We don't need Liberty trying to be cheap, but we certainly don't need an owner that will try to overrule the GM and make moves on his own. Frank Wren has already gone through that kind of owner once with Peter Angelos.