Hawks roster depth is shallow

Plainview1981

Good news:

Williams says pain no longer problem

Williams said he’s finally pain free after dealing with back and wrist injuries last season. His lower-back injury sidelined him for the final month and a half of the regular season, though he did come back in time for the playoffs.

Well apparently the franchise has done it's due dilligence courting Smith for a month, can't blame management if he's still holding out hope to chase a ring. On the other hand, I think adding Collins, Petro and Swift is comparable to adding Joe Smith and Siler both in talent and cost.

• Admin

Well apparently the franchise has done it's due dilligence courting Smith for a month, can't blame management if he's still holding out hope to chase a ring. On the other hand, I think adding Collins, Petro and Swift is comparable to adding Joe Smith and Siler both in talent and cost.

No, they really are not the same as getting Smith. I would like for us to get Smith and one of those guys. Swift is lazy and a waste of talent. Collins is a good defensive big but only for a few minutes at a time and Petro is basically just a big guy. Smith brings experience, leadership, attitude, locker room presence, offense, rebounding and defense. If we suffer an injury I am okay with Smith getting starter minutes. These guys...not so much.

• Premium Member

http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-hawks/hawks-roster-depth-is-111737.html?cxtype=rss_sports_82038

The options aren't looking so good. But this is what happens when you're a cheap franchise..

Absolutely correct! It'd nothing but excuses when it comes to the spirit group. The have known in past summers and summers to come that they will not get into the free agent market period.

Collins can't play.

No, they really are not the same as getting Smith. I would like for us to get Smith and one of those guys. Swift is lazy and a waste of talent. Collins is a good defensive big but only for a few minutes at a time and Petro is basically just a big guy. Smith brings experience, leadership, attitude, locker room presence, offense, rebounding and defense. If we suffer an injury I am okay with Smith getting starter minutes. These guys...not so much.

Agreed, Smith brings far more in terms of intagibles but like I said, in terms of talent those three together would bring our team shotblocking, rebounding and defense most likely for the same price that we'd pay to Joe alone. Rather than the one we would have to look at a situation where we could platoon all three in the rotation but yes I agree it's unrealistic to believe that we could get all three signed cheaply.

Still not really deep, but we're improving with the addition of Joe Smith.

Roster isn't set, Not yet.

By the time the regular season rolls around, Hawks may be deeper

than most of us feared.

And, we're probably not done yet. Still some free agents roaming around

out there without a team. Hawks still have some room and a little $$$.