• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Free Agent Latest?

Vol4ever

• Premium Member

I know we haven't heard from Sekou or anyone in a few weeks about Joe Smith or other free agents. I just wondering now that Powe has signed with Cleveland , Big Baby with Boston, and Ben Wallace in Detroit, are we the landing spot for Joe Smith? I'm sure the cheapass spirit will try to sign him for pennies on the dollar.

I know we haven't heard from Sekou or anyone in a few weeks about Joe Smith or other free agents. I just wondering now that Powe has signed with Cleveland , Big Baby with Boston, and Ben Wallace in Detroit, are we the landing spot for Joe Smith? I'm sure the cheapass spirit will try to sign him for pennies on the dollar.

I believe it was just yesterday that Sekou said we're still trying for Joe Smith and we'll continue to do until someone else signs him.

Word on the Cavs board is that Mike Brown and Joe would very much like to be back in Cleveland but there are issues because he is seeking a 3 year deal. I could see why that would be a hang-up for the Cavs considering they have Varejao, Powe signed at 2 years and Hickson whom they are high on. I have no idea what Sund is offering, I would imagine at the same price maybe a little more than Cleveland can offer but most likely not at the length that Joe is seeking. Ball is in Joe's court really, he wants to go where he is comfortable but they have plenty of other options or he can come here where he is greatly needed. Quite frankly, he can take all the time he needs as long as he makes the right choice. :mark:

I originally thought that the Hawks had all of the leverage with regard to signing Joe Smith... there aren't any other playoff teams who have either roster room or salary to sign him. But now I wonder if he doesn't own the leverage. His agent could easily say to Sund "if you don't give me X (either more money or another year), are you going to sign Stromile Swift?" and then laugh hysterically. Smith may be figuring that he could also sign with a celler-dweller and then negotiate a buyout (like he has done previously). He has another proven path to land with a playoff team. Meanwhile, the Hawks really don't have any other options for a quality back-up forward. (Although a trade of Mo Evans for Craig Smith would be a nice option).

I originally thought that the Hawks had all of the leverage with regard to signing Joe Smith... there aren't any other playoff teams who have either roster room or salary to sign him. But now I wonder if he doesn't own the leverage. His agent could easily say to Sund "if you don't give me X (either more money or another year), are you going to sign Stromile Swift?" and then laugh hysterically. Smith may be figuring that he could also sign with a celler-dweller and then negotiate a buyout (like he has done previously). He has another proven path to land with a playoff team. Meanwhile, the Hawks really don't have any other options for a quality back-up forward. (Although a trade of Mo Evans for Craig Smith would be a nice option).

Good Gosh!!

I read David Lee is pondering an offer from Portland. The offer reportedly is 10 mil. for 5 yrs.

That cannot be true. If so the Hawks should jump in with a better offer.

I just woke up, we didn't even offer Big Baby which I think we should have.

I'm a David Lee fan, he would be great here.

• Admin

Good Gosh!!

I read David Lee is pondering an offer from Portland. The offer reportedly is 10 mil. for 5 yrs.

It is probably 10 per year for 5 years. He is not going to lock himself up for 5 years at 2 million per.

Worst case scenerio he does the one year with the knicks and go into next summer as a UFA.

Good Gosh!!

Where did Portland find 10 mill in capspace? Where would we find more than 10mil to beat them? This may have been true in the alternate reality where Memphis never signed Darius Miles but unless this is a SnT that offer is impossible.

Where did Portland find 10 mill in capspace? Where would we find more than 10mil to beat them? This may have been true in the alternate reality where Memphis never signed Darius Miles but unless this is a SnT that offer is impossible.

It could be old news, it could be not true.

Here's the link: NBA.com

From Hoopsworld:

Joe Smith – If the money could ever get worked out, fitting Joe Smith into the Atlanta Hawks is about as big a no-brainer of any free agency situation still out there. The Hawks have no power forward on the bench to spell Josh Smith, so bringing in a veteran like Joe to play bench minutes is exactly what that team needs. Atlanta has been pursuing him for the better part of the last month, but it still hasn't quite gotten done yet. There's always a market for Smith, so even if he doesn't end up with the Hawks, someone somewhere will get him under contract.

Edited by DrReality

• Premium Member

The Hawks have no one to blame but themselves when it comes to the fact there are "not any other free agents options" out there. Other teams around the league didn't seem to have a problem signing free agents or getting the players they need. I am sick and tired of the cheapass Hawks organization pulling the stunts they pull. We will never get respect around this league until ownership makes a commitment to winning a championship. The beat writers see this crap and just laugh then everyone on Hawksquawk gets all bent out of shape at the beat writers ----memo----it is not the beat writers, look at our ownership!

The Hawks have no one to blame but themselves when it comes to the fact there are "not any other free agents options" out there. Other teams around the league didn't seem to have a problem signing free agents or getting the players they need. I am sick and tired of the cheapass Hawks organization pulling the stunts they pull. We will never get respect around this league until ownership makes a commitment to winning a championship. The beat writers see this crap and just laugh then everyone on Hawksquawk gets all bent out of shape at the beat writers ----memo----it is not the beat writers, look at our ownership!

I can't help but to picture a foot in a mouth.

But we added crawford at beginning and brought back our own players all for very reasonable contracts which was our main goal anyway. Aside from shaq, what big men would have been better than zaza and joe smith. just sayin.....

• Premium Member

But we added crawford at beginning and brought back our own players all for very reasonable contracts which was our main goal anyway. Aside from shaq, what big men would have been better than zaza and joe smith. just sayin.....

I am happy we got Joe Smith, he will be a major factor in our season. If they signed him for the minimum it shows that Cleveland wanted Powe more. The Hawks desperatley needed a vet big man and it was imperative to the upcoming season, and they waited to the last good veteran big man on the market?

I am happy we got Joe Smith, he will be a major factor in our season. If they signed him for the minimum it shows that Cleveland wanted Powe more. The Hawks desperatley needed a vet big man and it was imperative to the upcoming season, and they waited to the last good veteran big man on the market?

Why does it matter when they got him ? and what other veteran big man would you had rather picked up ? The only one I wanted more than Joe Smith was Ben Wallace.

• Premium Member

Why does it matter when they got him ? and what other veteran big man would you had rather picked up ? The only one I wanted more than Joe Smith was Ben Wallace.

Mcdyess woould have been my pick, much bigger, younger, and better.

• Admin

Mcdyess woould have been my pick, much bigger, younger, and better.

McDyess would have been a real coup. Sund was quoted as saying he pursued him.

I think Antonio had his eye on a team that could potentially win a championship right now. San Antonio is one of those teams.

On a side note he is definitely better then Joe but he is older and shorter.

Edited by capstone21

McDyess would have been a real coup. Sund was quoted as saying he pursued him.

I think Antonio had his eye on a team that could potentially win a championship right now. San Antonio is one of those teams.

On a side note he is definitely better then Joe but he is older and shorter.

In addition to playing on a champ contender he also signed a 3 year $14 mill deal. He may be better than Joe but not worth that much more money and years than Joe, atleast not to this team.