• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Stacks

Swatguy

HAWKSVILLE – Hawks forward Josh Smith needed seven stitches to close a gash on his left hand between his index and middle fingers.

He suffered the injury on the Hawks’ practice court Tuesday while playing in a pickup game with several of his Hawks teammates and other pros in town working out in anticipation of training camp. Smith said he’ll be fine for the start of training camp Sept. 29, but he’ll spend the days leading up to that with his left hand heavily wrapped.

“It was a nasty gash,” Smith said Wednesday. “It was bad. I could see all the way through there. It was split open, like somebody took some scissors and just cut it right open. But it looked a lot worse than it really is. I’ve got to keep it wrapped up for the next 10 days and then I’m good to go.”

Smith said he suffered through an assortment of bumps and bruises during his summer workouts but nothing as serious as Tuesday’s scrape. He caught his hand in the rim while trying to elevate to block a Jeff Teague layup attempt and immediately ran off the floor and into a corner clutching his left hand. He hustled off the floor and to the Hawks’ team doctor’s office to get the wound stitched up.

“I’m hopeful that I’ve got all this injury stuff out of my system right now while the summer is still going on,” Smith said with a smile. “I’m trying to play 82 games plus the playoffs this season. The good thing for me is that I’m already in great shape. So it’s not like the next 10 days were going to make or break me from a conditioning standpoint. I’m around 230 [pounds] right now and feeling good, so I’ll be ready to get into the mix on the first day of camp.”

So Ariose and anyone else interested in hitting the panic button with a sledgehammer, you can relax now!

BIG BOYS IN THE HOUSE

It’s not often that rookie free agent center Garret Siler is forced to look up to someone on a basketball court.

But that’s exactly what happened to the 7-footer Wednesday when Los Angeles Lakers center Andrew Bynum cut through the door of the Hawks’ practice facility to get a workout in at the John “Beans” Beckett Invitational. Bynum and Siler matched up in two different games and Siler acquitted himself well, neither big man dominated the action – that honor belonged to veteran pro Jerry Stackhouse (who has been on a tear this week on both ends of the floor against players much younger).

Siler said he was just happy to have the chance to compete against a pro of Bynum’s caliber.

“This is the best test for me to see guys like [Hawks center] Al Horford and [bynum] out here,” Siler said. “It helps mentally when you can say, ‘hey, i’m d’ing this guy up and he plays for the world champions. He’s got a ring.’ So if you can hold your own going against and he’s not just destroying you, hey, you must be doing something right.”

It appears that Siler has been doing plenty right this summer. He’s noticeably slimmer today compared to what folks saw of him during the Hawks’ rookie/free agent mini-camp in late July. He said working out back home in Augusta, mostly with his former coaches and some of his teammates that stuck around for the summer, is what helped him get in top physical shape.

“It’s basically up to you,” he said. “It’s about how many shots you want to put up before and or after a workout. You can go from 11 in the morning to 2 p.m in the afternoon on the court. But it’s your option to go to the weight room before that and get up those shots afterward. It’s what you do and how much you want to get better at this level. How much work you put is basically equal to what you get out of it.”

The toughest transition for Siler in these dog days leading up to training camp is finding his way around town.

“I can’t lie to you, my GPS is my friend right now,” Siler said and then laughed. “I do know a lot of the streets right around downtown. I know a lot of the are around here. But it’s about trying to get your bearings down and get a feel for the basics. You start with Peachtree and then Spring Street and then go from there.”

STACK’S HOUSE?

Stackhouse has been drawing raves from players in attendance for not only his veteran savvy but also his still explosive game, on both ends of the floor. There are no official stats kept at the JBBI, but if someone were keeping track Stackhouse would be leading pack in blocks and defensive takeaways.

“The thing that you notice is that he’s still got it,” Smith said. “You can’t hide on this floor, so if Stack is in your neighborhood he’s coming after you and you better be ready to go because he’s not giving you an inch.”

On the eve of what will be his 15th NBA season, Stackhouse is a free agent and open to the idea of exploring his options here and elsewhere.

Stay tuned for more on Stakchouse, who relocated to the area this summer, in my weekend NBA Insider in Sunday’s paper as well as on ajc.com.

ONE TO KEEP AN EYE ON

Another player in town and on the training camp roster worth keeping an eye on is Frank Robinson. The energetic swingman just makes plays. He did the same thing during training camp last year, when he was one of the last cuts before the start of the regular season.

Robinson has NBA skills and the frame to play but will have an uphill battle making a case for a spot on a Hawks’ roster loaded with guards in Teague, Mike Bibby, Joe Johnson and Jamal Crawford.

Another guard expected to drop in for some work on Thursday is veteran point guard Mike Wilks. His name is one of several veteran point guards that have come up as possible additions to the training camp roster. We shall see.

2008-09 Statistics

PPG 4.2 RPG 1.70 APG 1.2 EFF + 2.

There are hardly eye-popping stats? Not sure how he would get minutes?

I wouldn't worry about playing time. If he's willing to sign cheap, it won't hurt us. Sund has been adding depth, and I hope talent, to a horrible bench. If we brought Stack in, how could it hurt? I would rather have Stackhouse riding the pine than Thomas Gardner, Morris, Hunter, even Mario...

Honestly we can never be too deep of a team. Pick up Stack. And we will have a whole team that can play.

I wouldn't worry about playing time. If he's willing to sign cheap, it won't hurt us. Sund has been adding depth, and I hope talent, to a horrible bench. If we brought Stack in, how could it hurt? I would rather have Stackhouse riding the pine than Thomas Gardner, Morris, Hunter, even Mario...

I think he can still a few minutes from Mo.

Edited by GameTime

Honestly we can never be too deep of a team. Pick up Stack. And we will have a whole team that can play.

I think he can still a few minutes from Mo.

It wouldn't surprise me if he did. I agree. I don't see the downside of signing a vet like him....

• Premium Member

Actually, I disagree. History shows that good teams can pull young guys off the bench and develop them. I see potential in Hunter and I like what I hear about Siler. Getting 1 year service from Stack when we have about 82 SGs, doesn't make sense if we cna get one of these bigs and develop them.

Actually, I disagree. History shows that good teams can pull young guys off the bench and develop them. I see potential in Hunter and I like what I hear about Siler. Getting 1 year service from Stack when we have about 82 SGs, doesn't make sense if we cna get one of these bigs and develop them.

I understand that point, and nobody wants to see Othello succeed more than I do...but with the additions we've made, it's apparent Sund wants depth, and experience. Experience being the key. Smith, Collins, and Crawford have some miles...I'd rather throw Stackhouse in the mix with those vets than try and develop a player that hasn't proven a thing.

I still believe Siler is the big, 12th man on the active roster, that the Hawks

really need and have needed for so many years.

1st team - - Starters

2nd team-- Back-up bench guys

That's 10. One of the other two should be Siler.

Regardless of who else the Hawks have on their active 12, they sometimes just need that

big body inside to clog up everything. Right now, good as the Hawks look, there is no

one else who fits this description.

Whoever makes up the other 11 players, I still want my man for #12.

It wouldn't surprise me if he did. I agree. I don't see the downside of signing a vet like him....

The downside is does he still think its 2001 ? Again its all about where his head because he basically didnt play last year . If he was willing to play a role no matter how small he would be on a contender like Cleveland for the min but they know Stack has a rep when it comes to his minutes and his shots and most teams have passed.the fact that hes still out there this late in the summer should b raising all types of flags .

Hes given no indication that hes ready to be a Derrick Fisher,Michael Finley or a Joe Smith and thats why hes still out there .

Edited by Crank

The downside is does he still think its 2001 ? Again its all about where his head because he basically didnt play last year . If he was willing to play a role no matter how small he would be on a contender like Cleveland for the min but they know Stack has a rep when it comes to his minutes and his shots and most teams have passed.the fact that hes still out there this late in the summer should b raising all types of flags .

Hes given no indication that hes ready to be a Derrick Fisher,Michael Finley or a Joe Smith and thats why hes still out there .

How do you know most teams have passed?

Guys make decisions. Because you do not hear a thing, does not mean there is no noise.

Stacks has been "off the bench". He knows what time it is.

Stackhouse would get minutes here. He is still better than Marvin RIGHT NOW. So you know he would have Some from Marvin and all from Mo.

• Like 1

• Admin

Stackhouse would get minutes here. He is still better than Marvin RIGHT NOW.

Give me a break. Stackhouse is not better then Marvin. Stackhouse is on the downside of his career. You way underestimate what Marvin brings and his talent. Marvin is not going to give us 20 points a game. He is not better then Chris Paul or Deron Williams (which is why most people are down on him, its time for people to let that go) but he is a solid SF with a nice shot, does not try to do to much, he plays good d (one of our best defenders), he is a good rebounder, he is willing to play the role designated for him, he is very coachable, he hustles all the time and he has a good head on his shoulders. He is not a star but he is solid and is a very important part to the success of this team. Stackhouse if he came here would take some of Mo's minutes but I think that is about it.

• Like 1

How do you know most teams have passed?

Guys make decisions. Because you do not hear a thing, does not mean there is no noise.

Stacks has been "off the bench". He knows what time it is.

Stackhouse would get minutes here. He is still better than Marvin RIGHT NOW. So you know he would have Some from Marvin and all from Mo.

because training camp starts next week and hes not signed .

Hes had workouts with quite a few teams but still is not signed

stackhouse unhappy with playing time

I dont where you got this information that Stack knows the deal . Go ask Mavs fans and they will tell you that Stack whined to Avery Johnson for minutes and it then didnt deliver . Carlisle then took over and made Terry the sixth man and Stacks minutes were gone but it didnt matter because for the second year in a row he was plagued with nagging injuries. He is on the decline but still thinks hes has it but when you factor in his nagging injuries that he always seems to suffer . You just cant offer him big minutes and thats what he wants .

I loved Stacks game and I saw someone post his scoring average from that year with the Pistons but people forget that he was considered the most selfish player in the league because of his play at the time . Hes not ready to accept the role that a 34yr old guard accepts on a young playoff team .

He is not better than Marvin and he wont be satisfied with the <20 minutes or so Mo would receive.

because training camp starts next week and hes not signed .

Hes had workouts with quite a few teams but still is not signed

stackhouse unhappy with playing time

I dont where you got this information that Stack knows the deal . Go ask Mavs fans and they will tell you that Stack whined to Avery Johnson for minutes and it then didnt deliver .

I am sure he understands that, since he is much older now, he is not in a position to whine anymore.

We need both Mo and Stackhouse. Whoever plays and matches up better will get those backup minutes.

The thing with Stackhouse is if JJ or Marvin gets injured, we will still have that extra scorer.