• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Garrett Siler?

PaceRam

I know it is early and the Hawks camp has just begun but can anyone give any information on how Garrett Siler is doing in camp and if you think he actually has a chance to make the Hawks final roster? For some reason I think if Siler is given a chance and gets some much needed experience he will end up being a solid NBA player for some team (hopefully, the Hawks!).

• Admin

I know it is early and the Hawks camp has just begun but can anyone give any information on how Garrett Siler is doing in camp and if you think he actually has a chance to make the Hawks final roster? For some reason I think if Siler is given a chance and gets some much needed experience he will end up being a solid NBA player for some team (hopefully, the Hawks!).

He is probably not going to make the roster.

• Admin

Right now, it's looking like it's between Hunter or Siler or Hunter and Siler. Mario probably won't make the cut this year.

Mario is done simply because if we signed him, it would be for a million. That is probably too much for what he brings. I am a Mario fan, I love his energy and attitude but I don't think he is worth a MIllion a year.

We already have 12 players (counting Morris) and I don't think we will carry 15 so personally I think it will be between Hunter, Dixon and Wilkes.

Edited by capstone21

Where there is life, there is hope. Until he's cut, Garrett Siler is alive.

Sure, even if he makes it, he wouldn't get to play a lot, aka Mario West while here,

But I like what i've heard of him, (Although, I really know nothing) and still hold out

a faint hope for him being a Hawk.

Too bad the Hawks don't really believe in or support the D League, or perhaps they

don't have the $$$$ to do so. They have several players they could support there

as an assist to the D League and as a backup for the big boys in case of injuries.

Hope Garrett Siler stays!!

:helpsmilie:

From the televised camp I am actually rather disappointed in Siler and that is saying a lot considering that I didn't have much hope for him in the first place.

Out of all of our centers he moved the slowest, yes even slower than Collins which is where I was shocked. He labored through running drills and in the halfcourt sets and fullcourt scrimmage he was always a step late which led him to foul on every defensive possession and get swarmed on every offensive one. His size allowed him position on some possessions but once he touched the ball his weight actually looked like a disadvantage considering that he couldn't get off the floor quick enough allowing for highlight blocks from Smoove, Al and RandMo. His free throw form could actually make doves cry it's so ugly. He needs a good season or two gaining experience and conditioning down in the DLeague IMO.

As for our other center prospects:

RandMo actually showed me that he could be an NBA caliber prospect as he was active and the lower weight is truly helping him with his quickness.

Courtney Sims wants a contract and he wants it now. He was all motor, showed better speed than his scouting report and was looking to sky on every offensive possession no matter how long he had been out there running drills.

• Like 1

From the televised camp I am actually rather disappointed in Siler and that is saying a lot considering that I didn't have much hope for him in the first place.

Out of all of our centers he moved the slowest, yes even slower than Collins which is where I was shocked. He labored through running drills and in the halfcourt sets and fullcourt scrimmage he was always a step late which led him to foul on every defensive possession and get swarmed on every offensive one. His size allowed him position on some possessions but once he touched the ball his weight actually looked like a disadvantage considering that he couldn't get off the floor quick enough allowing for highlight blocks from Smoove, Al and RandMo. His free throw form could actually make doves cry it's so ugly. He needs a good season or two gaining experience and conditioning down in the DLeague IMO.

As for our other center prospects:

RandMo actually showed me that he could be an NBA caliber prospect as he was active and the lower weight is truly helping him with his quickness.

Courtney Sims wants a contract and he wants it now. He was all motor, showed better speed than his scouting report and was looking to sky on every offensive possession no matter how long he had been out there running drills.

Silar is huge and does look like a candidate of "hide him from the league for a couple years". He needs conditioning probably. Othello looks good as well as Juan and Mario.

I think Randy is in. "O", Juan, Mario, Sims are competing for 13. Robinson did not standout while I was watching.

Keep in mind they've been going 110% in camp for days now and Woody doesn't give them much rest. Siler was clearly tired after a day or two in the previous camp (considering he was just coming off a active summer league), but when he was fresh early on, he impressed. If he only plays limited minutes the first couple of years, conditioning shouldn't be a problem.

Regarding his FT percentage, he shot a 66% average, despite his awkward mechanics. Not great, but not horrible for a big.

Did I miss it ?

I saw no full court scrimmage. Only some basic full court drills.

During the live feed towards the end they were running scrimmages which they cut out abruptly. I did notice during the NBATV broadcast that they didn't show the scrimmage portion as well.

Given the first preseason game, I would keep Hunter and West. Just based on their performance during the game. I really hope we keep Siler, but he was shaky at best when he did play. I personally would at least keep him on the roster until the deadline for signing players to full contracts. I really think that with the right coaching Siler could be good. I just don't think that coaching exists on this team. Bottom line, Hunter ate up rebounds early, was very fluid with his feel for the game, and scored a bit. Mario outhustled everyone on the court, period. He ended with 6 or 7 points and 11 rebounds. And that really doesn't show everything he contributed.

Ideally we somehow keep all 3, but based on this game alone I would have to keep Hunter and West. Siler just seems a bit too redundant given the fact that we have 3 PFs and 3 Cs (counting Morris as a PF) and given the fact that he still has a ton to learn. He seemed out of place, nervous, and somewhat lost. And believe me, I was screaming at 8-9 minutes left 10 rows behind Woody to put him in. Hopefully Siler will do better in the upcoming preseason games.

Unfortunately I've never seen Siler play so I have to go off a bit of circular logic. Unless he really impresses, I'm going to assume that there is a reason that no one drafted him since he's such a big boy and there are a lot of guys that get drafted just because they are big. On top of that, we have a deeper big man rotation than we did before and its unlikely we would play Siler as much as a guy like Hunter who might actually be able to contribute right now.

I hope Rio continues to crush it during the preseason. I love having him on the team and I'd love to hear he made himself too indispensable to let go.

Regarding Siler, if someone can give me more info that what I have, that he has potential beyond just being big, I could be convinced.

Given the first preseason game, I would keep Hunter and West. Just based on their performance during the game. I really hope we keep Siler, but he was shaky at best when he did play. I personally would at least keep him on the roster until the deadline for signing players to full contracts. I really think that with the right coaching Siler could be good. I just don't think that coaching exists on this team. Bottom line, Hunter ate up rebounds early, was very fluid with his feel for the game, and scored a bit. Mario outhustled everyone on the court, period. He ended with 6 or 7 points and 11 rebounds. And that really doesn't show everything he contributed.

Ideally we somehow keep all 3, but based on this game alone I would have to keep Hunter and West. Siler just seems a bit too redundant given the fact that we have 3 PFs and 3 Cs (counting Morris as a PF) and given the fact that he still has a ton to learn. He seemed out of place, nervous, and somewhat lost. And believe me, I was screaming at 8-9 minutes left 10 rows behind Woody to put him in. Hopefully Siler will do better in the upcoming preseason games.

West did more bad then good this game to me.

Sekou on Siler:

Siler didn’t play long enough for me to see anything about him that I didn’t already know, Dan. He’s going to struggle with the speed of the game like any rookie big man would. His adjustment will be even tougher because he’s even bigger. But I’d want to see him in an expanded role before I write him off as just too slow

Every player on our roster is like another player on our roster - - Except one.

Think about it. Describe any player currently on the Hawks pre season roster

and you can describe him as: "He is a lot like - - " who is also on the roster.

Guards look and play a lot like other guards. Forewards look and play like other

forewards and the big ones look and play a lot like the centers.

Except one:

Sure, he has a lot of things wrong with his game. Otherwise, he would cost big $$$$.

Inexperienced. Raw. A foul producing machine. Not in shape to play 48 NBA minutes.

And, that's just his good points.

A couple of real assets that Garrett Siler has. Coachability and size.

If a player won't listen, he can't / won't learn. Lacking coachability. These players are good enough

that they can rely on their God given talent to carry them.

Size. Who is a successful size coach? Who can make that 6' 5' man into a 7' 2' man? Who can

coach the size up? Either you have it or you don't. Weight can be changed. Bone size and height

can't be altered.

Who is our duplicate for Garrett Siler?

:cant believe: