• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Nice post by Flash - buried deep inside a blog

jerrywest

AJC - Sekou's blog

The Flash

October 16th, 2009

9:29 am

This offense and Marvin’s value in it is not on Bibby or even JJ, but rather Woody. I remain unconvinced that JJ can function in at a high level in an offense that would call for him to make quick decisions rather than feature him aka Lebron-like, but with the talent this team has it is time to find out.

As long as Marvin carries his upper body the way he does when on the move and in shooting, he will not be a consistent 20 ppg man. Because he is so close to the vertical with his upper body, there is little room for error without throwing his balance during the release out of whack. He knows when it isn’t there and will not shoot it when it isn’t. On the other hand, this team now has enough guys with a good catch and shoot game (from different ranges) who could play with a flow in which Marvin’s basketball IQ, his ability to touch pass, his ability to clear space, his ability to shoot off a dribble or two that would break down defenses as much as guard pentetration, can be used much more.

While I believe that this is a Woody issue first and foremost, I agree with Ken’s assessment that the offense panders to what JJ and Bibby prefer. That, nireman, might be enough to bring this team from below to above 500, hey, before Bibby, Doc would have been an improvement at the point, the stagnation and underutilization of others that Bibby being Bibby brings will put a limit on this club.

The only way that that don’t happen is if Pete Carrill or one of his disciples comes here and puts a pro-style Princeton that plays through a high-post passing big, aka Webber, and takes the major distribution away from Bibby. That is where I have always been with this team. Now, I’d much rather see a more flexible passing offense that features players like JJ and MW and HOrton in the pivot, and that would be the Triangle.

Otherwise, you just might find that Ken is on the better side of right and that this team functions best with Teague and not Bibby handling. Have a good day, guys.

Edited by jerrywest
  • Like 1

As I read I was thinking if we spread it around and get other guys involved in the offense I think JJ could still get his points and GET THEM EASIER. As well as have more production from his teammates. In effect get more from less from JJ. Makes me have questions about JJ's BB IQ? I think there was some movement in this direction last year with Marvin's shot but we need to continue in that direction.

• Premium Member

As I read I was thinking if we spread it around and get other guys involved in the offense I think JJ could still get his points and GET THEM EASIER. As well as have more production from his teammates. In effect get more from less from JJ. Makes me have questions about JJ's BB IQ? I think there was some movement in this direction last year with Marvin's shot but we need to continue in that direction.

My thought is an always have been that we need a Big man who can pass out of the post. I don't like JJ with the ball in his hands unless he's going to score. I think that he dribbles the stripes off the ball and doesn't find guys in their spots. I also blame some of our guys because all they do is stand around. People hated Chillz, but Chillz moved without the ball and made himself an option. In today's game, a player who moves without the ball punishes defenses because defenses have become lazy. But Chillz is not the answer. More movement is. I think for us to take advantage of what we have, we need a big who can get the ball in his spot and either go up with it or pass it out to the open man. Who might that be? Horf doesn't have the footwork. Smoove doesn't have the desire to be inside or the IQ. Amare could do that but I don't trust his knees. Boozer could be that but he's short. Brand too. The guy in the league who I believe would be the fit for us is Jason Thompson. I would probably trade Smoove for him and a pick.

A pro style Princeton offense from Woody? That is like asking a truck driver to take a shot at NASCAR. Woody is lazy on offense. His infamous quote "good defense will take care of the offense" should be enough to prove this. We have been watching our PGs and JJ "dribble the stripes off the ball" (great quote Diesel) for five years and that is not going to change much.

The most we can hope for is Woody runs some basic plays (ISO's and clear outs for someone other than a guard and hopefully a few more pick and rolls) to get more players involved and then also push Bibby and JJ to focus on kickouts to Marvin or the other shooter who happens to be in at the time.

I do think we have the players. Marvin and Smoove can both pass out of the post well enough; but with Woody and the way he lets his two best players (for better or worse for Woody this is always his guards) decide the offense, I do not see it happening. He is either just to damn lazy, scared to hurt JJ or Bibbs ego, does not see the advantage, or lacks the knowledge. Pick any of them, but posting up a guy to be our primary ball handler is not going to happen under Woodys watch.

Edited by Buzzard

My thought is an always have been that we need a Big man who can pass out of the post. I don't like JJ with the ball in his hands unless he's going to score. I think that he dribbles the stripes off the ball and doesn't find guys in their spots. I also blame some of our guys because all they do is stand around. People hated Chillz, but Chillz moved without the ball and made himself an option. In today's game, a player who moves without the ball punishes defenses because defenses have become lazy. But Chillz is not the answer. More movement is. I think for us to take advantage of what we have, we need a big who can get the ball in his spot and either go up with it or pass it out to the open man. Who might that be? Horf doesn't have the footwork. Smoove doesn't have the desire to be inside or the IQ. Amare could do that but I don't trust his knees. Boozer could be that but he's short. Brand too. The guy in the league who I believe would be the fit for us is Jason Thompson. I would probably trade Smoove for him and a pick.

Do that in your fantasy league or video game and let me know how it turns out for you because in real life, dats a joke!!