• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

May sound crazy but....

sillent

The Hawks can make an excuse that they were tired from a back to back or they are still learning to win on the road but I won't because they weren't even competitive out there. Which brings me to the things I liked.....

We all know we can compete with anybody at times when we hustle and stay competitive (We just kinda forget that sometimes with losses like this).

But!!

You shouldn't ever pull out all your guns when it does not count(and we haven't). Seems like alot of us forgot that we have been experimenting with lineups and using summer camp invitees/reserves the whole preseason(even against the Wizards and the Heat) and it goes both ways because other teams done the same"Hence Preseason" but we still came out 5-2 and were undefeated at Home!!

This is not the rotation we will use in the regular season. Yes we could have still competed but Orlando is an Elite team and what we showed is not our game plan against them (At least it definitely should not be especially after that game). Ryan Anderson is what made letting Turkolu go such an easy choice. Anderson has always been a good shooter especially from behind the arc and barely (if any) differ in size. Getting him and Vince allowed them to shade the loss of Lee. Vince is Vince and has always been a threat to us. They are "Elite" and if we are going to put up an effort like the Orlando game we are going to get beat accordingly.

But!!

The "Elite" teams are exactly why we brought in guys like Joe Smith and Jason Collins(Don't underestimate their presence). The "Elite's" all have dominant Big Men (Howard, Garnett/Rasheed, Shaq, Tim Duncan, Bynum/Gasol). Since not too many others are available we grabbed players that are serviceable against these big men. Siler isn't ready yet and don't forget next years draft are/should be filled with good big men. Like Teague, we may be able to find a diamond in the ruff at the Center position ( I'll touch on this subject later down the road though). Collins, Joe Smith and Zaza are tough guys that can bother the Elite Bigs at times(18 fouls at the very least).

For the BK haters at least thank him for our versatilty. I still give Sund credit for keeping this crew together and adding great pieces thus far. Horford can play C/PF. Smith can play PF/SF in situations and no that doesn't mean that he has to shoot 3's(although I personally don't mind as long as it was the best shot available against the defense).This will be where him having/using good decision making will be tested. Marvin is a true SF but can play the PF/SG in situations(Note: A shooting guard is a player who's main responsibility is to be able to catch and shoot). Paul Pierce has played shooting guard(scoring guard) so it is not impossible in certain situations as long as Marvin's lateral speed and ball handling have improved. Joe Johnson/Jamal Crawford can both get the ball up the court and score/pass(Although both may have times where they don't show it).

But!!

If Woody learns how to do what BK always wanted him to do which was put the 5 best players on the court. Well in the case for us this year go with a big lineup using Zaza/Joe Smith/Collins at time at center dropping our 3 forwards down one spot(Horford PF/Smoove SF/Marvin SG/ and a big guard like Crawford/ maybe Joe). I know about the Joe PG experiment but that was only his first year here and I am only talking about playing him like this in certain situations(like against some of the Elite's).

The Lakers can play Bynum, Gasol, Odom, Artest, and Kobe if they choose (which is ridiculous if you think about it but hopefully the ball doesn't get chance to go around). Their real starting lineup excludes Odom and includes Fischer. All of our guards can handle Fischer but Joe and Jamal can demolish him if they are hot. Smoove can even fully commit to guarding a wing player if he knows he has Marvin , Horford and another big to have his back in other areas.

We have the same type of ability to prevent mismatches against teams like Boston with(Perkins/Davis/Wallace/Garnett/Pierce/Allen/Rondo).

The Magic with players like (Dwight/Gortat/Bass/Anderson/Lewis/Barnes/Pietrus/Carter/Nelson)

I won't continue on that subject but I will say IF WE HUSTLE, PLAY HARD EVERY GAME(OFFENSIVELY AND DEFENSIVELY), MAKE GOOD DECISIONS, GOOD BALL MOVEMENT AND MAKE GOOD ROTATIONS we should take a step closer to being considered Elite. Sounds like alot for a little but it's not if you look at the talent of the Elite. Once this season starts we have all the motivation needed with JOE AND WOODY'S MONEY ON THE LINE (if you get my drift).Our team would also like to keep our core and do something special together.Next year if we get a good 7 footer this team could turn around full circle and become elite and contend.

We are still an up and coming team and whenever it all clicks and we play like we want to win and have that hunger to grow mentally and chemistry/development every game. That Orlando game tape will be a good lesson on what not to do(in most cases).

I liked Teague's hustle for the block( had a post about something like this before training camp started).

I saw a new offensive play for Joe(Kind of like a pick and roll pop where Joe passes the ball and breaks to get an open look in a good spot.

Smoove's shot is all around the mid range and has a high arch that was going in when he played (took shots) in rhythm (he looked like a tall SG). :lol6:

Seriously though the practice with Steve Smith and Mark Price looks like it's going to pay off. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Crawford showed a glimpse of having the fire that Flip Murray brought to this team last year.

It's hard to remember any more because there wasn't too many bright spots.

BUT!!

All in All can't wait for the season to start!!

• Moderators

On Smoove's shot I sure hope they've helped him out. I still think he has way too much arc.

The stuff that scares me is that they still seemed to be playing the pass it round the perimeter, chuck a shot offense. Don't know why I expected more but i did.

Plus, I don't like the concept that we can't push the tempo after a made shot. This is really the tell that Woody has no interest or understanding in playing at a faster pace. If we don't push the tempo we won't compete well with the bigs in the east.

On Smoove's shot I sure hope they've helped him out. I still think he has way too much arc.

The stuff that scares me is that they still seemed to be playing the pass it round the perimeter, chuck a shot offense. Don't know why I expected more but i did.

Plus, I don't like the concept that we can't push the tempo after a made shot. This is really the tell that Woody has no interest or understanding in playing at a faster pace. If we don't push the tempo we won't compete well with the bigs in the east.

Our offense didn't change much but I believe our players got better on offensive. We can push the tempo and believe Woody knows that in order to be competitive some nights we'll have to do just that. We just have to wait till our season starts to see how it all comes together.

Edited by sillent

( praying to God )

God . . . please let the Hawks win tomorrow night, so the hysteria will stop.

We all want to be elite so bad, but we all know deep down that we're not nowhere close to there yet. So Lord, please ease our minds as we watch the Hawks this week.

Restore our confidence in our playmaking but emotionless SG, our athletic but inconsistent PF, and our sharpshooting but non-defense playing PG.

Let us watch in delight, as our undersized C grabs rebound after rebound and flexes his muscles. Let us celebrate, as our much maligned SF knocks down a plethora of open jumpshots, while occasionally going hard to the hole.

And if you could Lord, please let us beat the Lakers on the road, so that the fan base can forget the Orlando preseason debacle and worry about games that actually count.

As you bless us with a LAKER WIN, our delusions of becoming a championship caliber team will return, and Hawksquawk will once again be a place of tranquility.

These are the things we pray in honor of you . . . In ( insert whatever deity you choose to worship, or none at all ) name we Hawks fan pray . . .

Amen.

• Like 1

:lol6: The Hawks are going all the way!

Seriously though, I know a lot of people may disagree with me, but I still think the Hawks as a team are a long way from their "ceiling" as constructed. All of the players we're looking to step up are still young and haven't yet reached their prime. So keep the faith Hawks fans, our time will come.

• Like 1