• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Woodson Effect

tbhawksfan

JJ has been a force in the league for years. He is one of the smoothest shooters in the league and a match up nightmare at 6'7" SG. Bibby is a solid PG. He has some weaknesses and some positives. The rest of the starters are young studs. We have a solid bench with 6th man of the year potential in Crawford.

Why don't we see this team entering into the conversation of the big three in the East? MIKE WOODSON.

I have been convinced since his first year that he isn't and never will be a good NBA head coach.

You can see good coaching at any level. Execution, fundamentals, adaptations with a variety of off. and def. sets and plays, maximizing players potential by exploiting their strengths and hiding thier weaknesses, having young players erupt onto the scene with good development and opportunity, discipline, motivation, attitude.....results.

I've been having visualisations of our Hawks team moving in harmony and playing off of other teams weaknesses and thier own strengths. Inside out Bball where the whole team is in movement (on both sides of the ball). using their length and athleticism to out run and out man opponents. I haven't seen much of that in our team.

Some day we'll get a coach and get to see these guys play for real.

• Like 1

JJ has been a force in the league for years. He is one of the smoothest shooters in the league and a match up nightmare at 6'7" SG. Bibby is a solid PG. He has some weaknesses and some positives. The rest of the starters are young studs. We have a solid bench with 6th man of the year potential in Crawford.

Why don't we see this team entering into the conversation of the big three in the East? MIKE WOODSON.

I have been convinced since his first year that he isn't and never will be a good NBA head coach.

You can see good coaching at any level. Execution, fundamentals, adaptations with a variety of off. and def. sets and plays, maximizing players potential by exploiting their strengths and hiding thier weaknesses, having young players erupt onto the scene with good development and opportunity, discipline, motivation, attitude.....results.

I've been having visualisations of our Hawks team moving in harmony and playing off of other teams weaknesses and thier own strengths. Inside out Bball where the whole team is in movement (on both sides of the ball). using their length and athleticism to out run and out man opponents. I haven't seen much of that in our team.

Some day we'll get a coach and get to see these guys play for real.

Enjoyed your post....and/but we've been down this road and back a few times. The light is at the end of the tunnel....meaning a decision on Woody at the end of this year. The pieces are in place to be best team he's coached as the Hawks coach. There's no more rebuilding excuses, no more "the kids need to grow up excuses". There's a reason Sund didn't extend him - or get rid of him - for that matter. He's put in his time with these guys, and they have improved record wise. Enough to keep you around. But, it's obvious to everyone that he needs to progress signifcantly with his X's and O's. Sund needs to see it this year, or he's gone. Plus, we don't want to waste another year. Pretty soon these young guys won't be young anymore. Put up or shut time for Woody in 09-10.

• Premium Member

Enjoyed your post....and/but we've been down this road and back a few times. The light is at the end of the tunnel....meaning a decision on Woody at the end of this year. The pieces are in place to be best team he's coached as the Hawks coach. There's no more rebuilding excuses, no more "the kids need to grow up excuses". There's a reason Sund didn't extend him - or get rid of him - for that matter. He's put in his time with these guys, and they have improved record wise. Enough to keep you around. But, it's obvious to everyone that he needs to progress signifcantly with his X's and O's. Sund needs to see it this year, or he's gone. Plus, we don't want to waste another year. Pretty soon these young guys won't be young anymore. Put up or shut time for Woody in 09-10.

Totally agreed. My fear is that Woody's firing will come too late and we'll end up losing JJ and getting back nothing next summer.

Woodson may very well not be the coach that can get us into the upper tier of teams in the East but I'd be hard pressed to believe he's not on par (or close to it) when compared with Doc Rivers and Mike Brown. Neither of them are superior coaches, but they have superior players and that's why they are so good.

The Hawks are getting better but we're still young and unfortunately it seems we have quite a few players that don't put forth consistent effort and while that may be coaching I have a feeling that the only way to truly rectify that is by replacing them with players that give more of a consistent effort. All the talent in the world can only get you so far and like JJ said it seems like there are some players on this team who don't want it every night.

Everyone wants to cite JJ; if JJ was so smart, he wouldn't have approved Woodson's off. scheme for the last couple of years. His approval of Woodson's off. scheme tells me one of two things; either JJ is so selfish he'll put his stats and status above the team, or he's just so intellectually limited that he really thinks that iso-Joe is the best option.

Even a super-star doesn't win alone.

Everyone wants to cite JJ; if JJ was so smart, he wouldn't have approved Woodson's off. scheme for the last couple of years. His approval of Woodson's off. scheme tells me one of two things; either JJ is so selfish he'll put his stats and status above the team, or he's just so intellectually limited that he really thinks that iso-Joe is the best option.

Even a super-star doesn't win alone.

I'll say it again. Doug Collins is the perfect coach to pair with young talent.

• Premium Member

Woodson may very well not be the coach that can get us into the upper tier of teams in the East but I'd be hard pressed to believe he's not on par (or close to it) when compared with Doc Rivers and Mike Brown. Neither of them are superior coaches, but they have superior players and that's why they are so good.

The Hawks are getting better but we're still young and unfortunately it seems we have quite a few players that don't put forth consistent effort and while that may be coaching I have a feeling that the only way to truly rectify that is by replacing them with players that give more of a consistent effort. All the talent in the world can only get you so far and like JJ said it seems like there are some players on this team who don't want it every night.

Are you kidding me? Doc Rivers won his coach of the year award after taking a D-League level squad (the '99-'00 Magic) that was shredded by injuries to 41 wins and almost to the playoffs. I don't wanna think about how that team would have done with "ISO Mercer."

Edited by niremetal

Are you kidding me? Doc Rivers won his coach of the year award after taking a D-League level squad (the '99-'00 Magic) that was shredded by injuries to 41 wins and almost to the playoffs. I don't wanna think about how that team would have done with "ISO Mercer."

That team was more talented than you are giving it credit for but I will say that he did a good job with them. But outside of that 1 season he has been viewed as a mediocre coach and the Celtics fans wanted to fire him even into their playoff series with us after we won a couple of games. Doc is a decent coach but he's on par and maybe slightly ahead of Woody on the mediocre list.

• Moderators

One key difference between Woody and Doc is that Doc brought in ultra-talented assistant coaches to help make up for his deficiencies. As a staff, there is not question that the Boston staff for the last few years outrates the Atlanta staff the last few years, IMO.

One key difference between Woody and Doc is that Doc brought in ultra-talented assistant coaches to help make up for his deficiencies. As a staff, there is not question that the Boston staff for the last few years outrates the Atlanta staff the last few years, IMO.

That is a huge factor for sure! I wonder if that's entirely on the head coach or if the GM has any input in that? Ultimately I think this will be Woody's downfall in that he doesn't have strong enough assistant coaches to cover his deficiencies.

• Moderators

That is a huge factor for sure! I wonder if that's entirely on the head coach or if the GM has any input in that? Ultimately I think this will be Woody's downfall in that he doesn't have strong enough assistant coaches to cover his deficiencies.

I would be soooo much more confident in Woodson if he brought in an "offensive coordinator" ala Tom Thibodeau.