• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Insider info on Garret Siler

gsuteke

Chris Gay had an article about Siler in the Augusta Chronicle today. I also asked him what was going on with Siler before I saw this.

http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/2009/12/03/nba_557990.shtml

Chris Gay has been pretty good to us here.

Here's what I asked Chris Gay

Chris

Our guys on HS are a little confused. First Siler goes to Utah the ATL's NBADL team. Then he's waived. Then he goes to China at the behest of the Hawks and Heat per the local news.

Can you fill me in on the timeline here and how this all happened to I can share it with our viewers?

Thanks as always Chris.

His response

I spoke to Garret last night. He didn't mention anything about being waived. He said his agent called him with an opportunity to go to China before the NBADL regular season started. He said he spoke with officials from Atlanta and Miami. They told him he would probably get a call-up to the NBA this year (10-day contract) if he stayed in the NBADL, but that he wouldn't stay with a team because of the bad economy. So the teams told him to take the money (guaranteed even if he gets cut) -- and there's a lot of incentives built in.

The good thing about Garret going to China is he's expected to receive regular playing time, which is what Atlanta and Miami want so that he can continue to develop. The only bad news for Hawks fans: the team is owned by Yao Ming. Yao could be keeping a close eye on Garret for a potential move to the Rockets next season.

Hope that helps.

Chris

Edited by gsuteke

Siler wouldn't be of much help here because he wouldn't receive any playing time. It is good that he will receive regular playing time because he needs to develop--he wouldn't do that here. I just hope he turns into a more polished player because we desperately need a legit Center with size and skill. Too bad we won't know for probably a couple years.

• Premium Member

Siler wouldn't be of much help here because he wouldn't receive any playing time. It is good that he will receive regular playing time because he needs to develop--he wouldn't do that here. I just hope he turns into a more polished player because we desperately need a legit Center with size and skill. Too bad we won't know for probably a couple years.

Not sure why some seem to think that being a young bench and practice player in the NBA will help with his development. Sure, the money is probably better but at the end of the day, you need to play in game time situations to improve your game.

Anyone know about the level of competition in the China leagues? That might be the only concern.

Anyone know about the level of competition in the China leagues? That might be the only concern.

Poor. Players are fairly skilled, very smart and play team basketball, working for a good shot every time down. That said, he will have seen better athleticism at Augusta State.