• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Lease situation

SeattleHawkFan

Does anyone have any information on the lease for the Hawks at Philips?

First post.. Seattle Sonics emblem. Are you hoping the Hawks are going to be relocating to the northwest?

I have no clue about the lease agreement, sorry.

Atlanta Hawks

Arena: Philips Arena (18,729).

Cost: $213 million (privately financed).

Opened: September 1999.

Lease: Atlanta Spirit, which owns the Hawks and NHL's Thrashers, owns the arena.

Attendance rank: 20th.

Net loss: Lost $5.6 million (17th).

Sponsorship revenue: $13.5 million (16th).

Summary: Attendance annually ranks near the bottom of the league, and the ownership group is split between three quarreling factions, but the Hawks are firmly rooted in Atlanta. Co-owner Michael Gearon, who has ties locally, appears as if he'll win a February 2009 trial to determine who gains control of the team. Ownership would sell the profit-draining Thrashers before the Hawks.

I lived in Yakima as a teenager and would love to move back to Washington (closer to Seattle than Yakima, of course).

The NBA should encourage the Grizz to move to Seattle, IMHO.

Yes, I am a diehard Sonics fan and realize the great history the Hawks have in Atlanta. I'd rather have the Grizz move to Seattle, but for right now I do love the Hawks, watch them every chance I get.

I was curious about the lease situation because we are looking for a team and wasn't sure what was happening down here with ownership and I didn't want them to be the ones we took.

So was just curious.

But until Seattle gets a team, I'm firmly behind the Hawks!

As an Army brat I also have ties to the Washington area but I rather have the Atlanta franchise remain where it is and either have Memphis or better yet New Orleans replace the Sonics in Seattle. Yea Key Arena is a high school gym compared to most modern arenas but I never could argue with its location.