• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Not trying to be funny, but is Marvin coordinated enough to be in the NBA?

HawkItus

I see this guy fall and trip almost every game. Now I know he can shoot, and lateral movements don't seem to give him problems. But, anything like a stutter step or driving the lane and this guy goes down. And he almost hurts himself each time. How did our scouts and BK miss this? Honestly if NBA players were in a pick up game and you chose teams, wouldn't Marv be one of the last guys you chose just by watching him move around?

yeah i don't get it. i gave him the benefit of the doubt for too long...he's still a clumsy rumblin-bumblin-stumblin wreck especially with the ball. maybe he needs to pull a "Refrigerator" Perry and take ballet lessons. maybe it's a combo of those size 24s and the duck butt. idk but it's frustrating to see him crumble even without contact.

Yeah is game going to the bucket isn't smooth by any means. No control. He just doesn't "look" like a basketball player out there a lot of times. I've never seen someone get blocked or not know how to finish around the rim like Marvin. The one good thing he is good at is drawing fouls, I'll give him that.

For the most part though, he seems happy to kind of stay faded in the background.

• Premium Member

post-1016-126470744416_thumb.jpg

ROFLmyBOOTYoff....that's a funny picture.

On the subject of the thread though, I agree. It's something that I haven't been able to put my finger on about Marvin for the longest. He can get to the lane and even get a shot up. He is downright AWFUL at finishing though. Even when it goes in, unless he has a clear path to the basket, Marvin looks like a drunken acrobat... Being assertive (his biggest problem) starts with having the skill to BE assertive. Marvin needs to dribble the ball all summer IMO. lol

For all the whining about it, Marvin's "finishing %" is comparable to Jamal's.

Stats

It's just that when Marvin fails to finish, he has a tendency to fall down. This is yet another area where I'd trust stats over people's casual observations.

He's 6th best on the team, and when you factor in his mid-range percentages, ewww. I don't think you're argument is exactly benefiting the situation.

well, you have to be pretty coordinated to be able to hit runners and what not on drives. Not to mention the crossovers and stepback shots that Joe and Crawf pull off to get open in the mid-range area. I don't see Marvin able to create that space.

So, you're saying he trips and falls on his jumpers? You're moving around too quickly here...

No, that is not what I'm saying. My initial statement was that he trips and falls on the way to the basket. I also stated that how he generally moves about the court should have been a red flag of sorts for BK and our scouts the year he was drafted. My concern is that he maybe skilled as a player, but for his position is he coordinated enough for NBA standards? You pointed out his FG% at the rim and said it was comparable to Crawford. Looking at the data you linked I noticed that yes at the rim he is 6th best on the team, but Crawford is 2nd only to Josh Smith. As our starting small forward I would prefer he be top 3 at least. Also, Jamal is assisted on about 38% of his at the rim shots. Marvin is assisted on over half of his, but still shoots a lower percentage. But, if you look at his ratings from 10 feet or less he is the 3rd worst finisher on the team. He lacks the coordination to pull off the floaters and that make up a great deal of Jamal's game. Instead of Crawford a better comparison would be Zaza. Around the rim Marvin is just a tad better than Zaza at finishing. What is Zaza known for? Besides hustle he is probably one of the least coordinated Hawks on the team. If it weren't for his size Zaza wouldn't be in the NBA. Marvin looks at lot like a smaller version of Zaza driving to the basket.