• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

HELP! Antivirus XP 2010

AHF

• Moderators

My computer uses Symantec Antivirus for protection. Last night, my computer started giving me popup alerts from "Antivirus XP 2010." The icon for AVXP appears in my tray and I get a series of "Security breach!", "Stealth intrustion!" popups from the tray (like you would when you get the popup indicating that you are accessing a wireless network). Then I started getting windows poping up "running" scans, alerting me to viruses, etc. and requiring that I "Activate Antivirus XP 2010" or "Stay unprotected." When I try to open firefox or explorer, a window pops up instead saying that the AVXP isn't active yet and that I can't get online unprotected. I ran a complete scan with Symantec and it found no viruses or other infected files.

I did a search to see what files were modified in the last day and there are a handful of files in the Windows directory; an entire directory in the Windows directory called "Prefetch" which has a bunch of files like FIREFOX.EXE-28641590.pf" that seem like they might be overriding the exe files in the computer but might be normal; a file called jinstall.cfg that was modified about the same time as the problem started; and about 100 others (including normal work files, etc.).

I can use programs like Word or Symantec seemingly without difficulty but the popups and the inability to access the web are a big problem. I would definitely appreciate any help or thoughts.

My computer uses Symantec Antivirus for protection. Last night, my computer started giving me popup alerts from "Antivirus XP 2010." The icon for AVXP appears in my tray and I get a series of "Security breach!", "Stealth intrustion!" popups from the tray (like you would when you get the popup indicating that you are accessing a wireless network). Then I started getting windows poping up "running" scans, alerting me to viruses, etc. and requiring that I "Activate Antivirus XP 2010" or "Stay unprotected." When I try to open firefox or explorer, a window pops up instead saying that the AVXP isn't active yet and that I can't get online unprotected. I ran a complete scan with Symantec and it found no viruses or other infected files.

I did a search to see what files were modified in the last day and there are a handful of files in the Windows directory; an entire directory in the Windows directory called "Prefetch" which has a bunch of files like FIREFOX.EXE-28641590.pf" that seem like they might be overriding the exe files in the computer but might be normal; a file called jinstall.cfg that was modified about the same time as the problem started; and about 100 others (including normal work files, etc.).

I can use programs like Word or Symantec seemingly without difficulty but the popups and the inability to access the web are a big problem. I would definitely appreciate any help or thoughts.

Sorry to report, but you've got a case of malware. Somehow a malware virus was installed on your computer. It's not going to go away easily and if you're not that good with computers, you might have to take it to a repair shop. Geek Squad at bestbuy is really reliable, but they tend to have high prices.

Try not to log into a lot of confidential websites, such as your bank account or email with the computer that has the malware infection. The malware can be accompanied with password stealers and other viruses. Get rid of it ASAP!

That type of thing is going around a lot and it's spyware/malware. Whatever you do, DO NOT, click on anything to download this or buy that or go to their website or whatever. Just shut down your computer and boot into safe mode (usually F8 in the BIOS) and then run a virus scan and I'd also download something like malwarebytes and spyware search and destroy and run those in safe mode as well. Reboot and you should be fine. Both my boss and my dad have gotten that in the past month and it was easy to get rid of.

In the future I'd suggest only using Firefox and using the NO SCRIPT add on and you'll be completely safe.

I used the mbam program and cleaned it off! Thanks for the help. I am running firefox and will get the no script add on. Thanks!

AHF

Good deal, I'm glad to hear that you're okay now. This can be a really nasty bit of malware since a lot of users will think that it's a real virus or even their own virus scanner running and then they'll click to buy this program and either have their credit card number stolen or have a full blown virus downloaded with it.