• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

AJC: J.J. says "no"� to USA Basketball, Van Gundy reportedly says yes to J.J. All-Star start

Hawksquawk

• Squawkers

Dallas– USA Basketball national director Jerry Colangelo approached Joe Johnson about being included in the 27-player pool for the 2010 world championships and the 2012 Olympics but was rebuffed.

“I did it a few years back (at the 2006 FIBA World Championships)” Johnson said today at All-Star weekend. “I’m just not feeling it now. There is no disrespect intended at all–me and Jerry go way back to when I played for the Suns–but I just didn’t feel it.”

Colangelo said no other Hawks players were asked to join the player pool.

“Not on this go-around,” he said. “A lot of them are deserving but we are kind of limited by numbers.”

Meanwhile, Orlando’s Stan Van Gundy, who is coaching the Eastern Conference for Sunday’s All-Star game, apparently has decided to start Johnson in place of Allen Iverson. Hawks PR man Arthur Triche said Johnson hasn’t been informed but orlandomagic.com is reporting that Van Gundy already made his decision.

Johnson will play in his fourth straight All-Star …

View the full article

It's nice to see JJ doing the smart thing and not joining the US team so he'll get a little extra rest, even if that's not his reason for it, but still good for us in the long run (assuming he's a Hawk for the long run).

And that's awesome about JJ starting in the All-Star game!!! He definitely deserves it and hopefully this will be the year that he comes out and really shows the casual non-Hawks fan how good he is.

I don't think Joe even likes the game of basketball. I wonder if he was made to play it as a kid but didn't want to. I'm not knocking his decision to turn down the offer from the Olympic team, but he just doesn't act like he enjoys playing basketball. Maybe I am wrong and he just doesn't like his teammates? Oh well....

I don't think Joe even likes the game of basketball. I wonder if he was made to play it as a kid but didn't want to. I'm not knocking his decision to turn down the offer from the Olympic team, but he just doesn't act like he enjoys playing basketball. Maybe I am wrong and he just doesn't like his teammates? Oh well....

lol, he looks bored out there at times. Ehh he's done it before, and the Olympic aren't that important to a like of guys (NBA Players and faces alike). It seems like the only country that cares is us. Either way its good to see him starting in the ASG.