• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

AJC: J.J.: 'I would love to� re-sign with Hawks but who knows what happens'

Hawksquawk

• Squawkers
J.J. took questions about his free agency, offered few answers. (AP Photo/Tim Sharp)

J.J. took questions about his free agency, offered few answers. (AP Photo/Tim Sharp)

Dallas– Left Joe Johnson for a while at All-Star media availability on Friday to get some other stuff, and then caught up with him as he finally stood from his table and got the heck out of there.

So did you get many questions from reporters about your potential free agency after the season?

“Yeah,” he said, smiling wearily.

And what did you tell them?

“I told them the truth: Who knows what’s going to happen in July?” he said, repeating the standard response he’s given to hacks who come through Atlanta and corner him on the subject.

But doesn’t the fact you approached the Hawks about an extension last summer indicate you’d prefer to stay in Atlanta?

“I’d love to,” he said, “but who knows what happens, man.”

That’s about as close as J.J. will come to saying he intends to re-sign with the Hawks. That’s good business, of course. No need to say one way or another until he sees how the Hawks finish …

View the full article

Sure he'd love to sign with the Hawks if they'll pay him 20 million per year. Who knows what will happen is right. If he finds out that what the Hawks offered is the best he can get he'll sign. If someone offers more he'll sign with them.

I'd love to play for the Hawks myself. All they have to do is offer me 10 million per year. If I'm not offered 10 million from the Hawks I'd love to sign with a team that offers me 9 million. If I can't get 9 million I'd love to sign with a team offering 8 million.

I honestly hope he goes. He's too streaky, a ball hog, plays with no emotion, and wants to be paid like an elite player. We can continue to build this team around a solid nucleus of players that are already intact. Clean the back end of the bench as they have to be the least talented bunch of nobody's in the NBA.

Sure he'd love to sign with the Hawks if they'll pay him 20 million per year. Who knows what will happen is right. If he finds out that what the Hawks offered is the best he can get he'll sign. If someone offers more he'll sign with them.

I'd love to play for the Hawks myself. All they have to do is offer me 10 million per year. If I'm not offered 10 million from the Hawks I'd love to sign with a team that offers me 9 million. If I can't get 9 million I'd love to sign with a team offering 8 million.

I honestly hope he goes. He's too streaky, a ball hog, plays with no emotion, and wants to be paid like an elite player. We can continue to build this team around a solid nucleus of players that are already intact. Clean the back end of the bench as they have to be the least talented bunch of nobody's in the NBA.

Who would we find that has the skill set of JJ? Please don't say Crawford because he doesn't posses the same skill set that JJ has.

Who would we find that has the skill set of JJ? Please don't say Crawford because he doesn't posses the same skill set that JJ has.

Wade, for sure. Or I would wait. You do not sign anyone out of desperation.

I will take Crawford for 9 million, resign Horford, go get Bosh, then tighten up my bench.

JJ is not an elite player, so he does not deserve the elite money, period point blank.

I don't, we do not have many other options. We would have to bank next year FA class and try to sign CP3 or Durant which is not likely to happen. NYK will be a contender for CP3 and Durant is not leaving OKC and they will match without question. If we do not get JJ back. We will be a 7-8 seed or a lottery team.

you know its sad but even though we would be more loose defensively i would rather give durant nearly 20million before joe. i wish joe would sign out of loyalty and i would be fine with that. but if he is going toeven think about putting us in a bidding war, he can walk. i f i was sund i would put the heat on right now to find out his intentions.much of what the hawks do depends on what jj will do anyways.

Waiting for HawksFantatic, SpotATL, or Mrhonline to walk into this thread and start educating on the CBA since some of the things being said are ... well let's just wait for them

You might as well say me. What happen to that CBA thread we used to have. I was referring to the 2010-11 FA class as well. I know Craw and Evans will be FA's and JJ contract will no longer be here. I've said numerous times that I am not into the CBA bylaws.

• Moderators

We do not have space under the cap to make an offer for Wade or Bosh without Miami or Toronto pulling a sign and trade to get him to us so anyone who thinks we are going to let JJ go and just go sign one of them without giving up a core piece like Josh or Al is not being realistic.

I think we should try and resign Joe Johnson but for no more than 4 yrs. He should be happy with that..he is not a max player but we dont want to lose out on our best player and get nothing in return. I do think the Knicks and Miami will make a hard run at Joe Johnson but I think he'll come back

For getting us back into the basketball business when he could have won in Phoenix for the same money I say he deserves 17 per for 5 years. If he balks at that then we should let him walk, move Marvin for a decent PG take a step back to 7-8 seed in 2010 and wait for FA 2011. I don't think the sky would fall if we lost Joe but we'd lose our elite status.