• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Only acquired 3 players via trade since JJ trade.

mrhonline

• Premium Member

February 22, 2007 - Anthony Johnson

February 8, 2008 - Mike Bibby

June 25, 2009 - Jamal Crawford

Three guys in four seasons! And all guards, too. That has to be some kind of "modern record."

(They have not acquired someone 6'9 or taller via trade in five years).

There's also a very strong chance that the Hawks will not make a trade this offseason, if they can re-sign JJ. They'll already have 8 rotation guys under contract before re-signing JJ, and will have at least one draft pick to add to that group.

I bet they'll draft a wing and then sign a veteran big (a la Joe Smith) to the vet's minimum, sign Siler for peanuts to replace Morris, and a veteran PG at the minimum. The streak may continue...

My guess is that the Hawks' next big trade will be one year from now, assuming JJ is re-signed.

Edited by mrhonline

• Premium Member

Three guys in four seasons! And all guards, too. That has to be some kind of "modern record."

There's also a very strong chance that the Hawks will not make a trade this offseason, if they can re-sign JJ. They'll already have 8 rotation guys under contract before re-signing JJ, and will have at least one draft pick to add to that group.

I bet they'll draft a wing and then sign a veteran big (a la Joe Smith) to the vet's minimum, sign Siler for peanuts to replace Morris, and a veteran PG at the minimum. The streak may continue...

My guess is that the Hawks' next big trade will be one year from now, assuming JJ is re-signed.

If Hawks can break through to the ECF, I'm pretty confident that they'll use the MLE rather than just minimums. But otherwise, I think you're right. Unless they can find a way to move Marvin for an upgrade at SF or pull off a sign-and-trade to acquire Bosh or Amare (incredibly unlikely), the odds are that they won't rock the boat too much.

• Premium Member

Unless the cap doesn't drop, I doubt they'll be able to use the MLE without luxury tax concerns.

My point was that if the Hawks make an unexpectedly deep playoff run, they'll have the money to go a bit into the luxury tax. Same as the Heat, Cavs, and Magic after their respective Finals runs. Of course, it depends on HOW deep the Hawks get (every home game from the conference Finals onward usually brings in ~$2-3M in profit - not just revenue, but profit) and also on how much the economy has taken a toll on revenues this year.

Edited by niremetal

• Premium Member

I would love for the Hawks to make that kind of commitment, but there's no precedent there for the Spirit.

I say that JJ & Co. should force them to make that decision by shocking their 2nd round opponent, eh? :helpsmilie:

There wasn't a precedent for the Heat/Cavs/etc either, before their Finals runs. Teams with traditionally poor attendance and revenues usually need a kick in the *ss to spend more. And the Hawks' record for attendance and revenues is even worse than those teams.

And yes, the team should force the issue by making it past the second round. Although this year, it might take going all the way to the Finals to offset the regular season losses. In terms of both earning profit and maximizing our odds of making it to the Finals, the ideal sequence would be Celtics in round 2 and Cavs in ECF. Sadly, it's tough for me to imagine both us and the Celts finishing ahead of the Magic.

Edited by niremetal

thats how I like it. The less trades the better. Teams like San Antonio and a few others stay competitive by keeping the same core pieces together. Thats the way a franchise should be IMO