• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Breaking News: AOL Dumps McDavid and more

coachx

.....was comprised of Ted Turner, William Bartholomay, Stan Kasten, and Terry McGuirk, among other local investors, and they only bid on the Atlanta Braves.

Reports are saying that AOL will announce the sale to a group of local investers tomorrow. I guess it is possible that the same group could be purchasing the Hawks/Thrasher/Philips Arena at this time.

Actually, it will not surprise me if Stan Kasten is part of the ownership group. He's essentially been the acting owner of all the franchises since the corporate merger a few years ago.

• Admin

IF that is who it is...is this a good thing??? The thing I liked about McDavid was that it was new blood. Someone to come in and shake things up...have a new perspective.

If our owners are basically the same ones who have already been running the club, how are things going to change?

• Admin

In a shocking change of events, AOL/Time Warner has decided against selling the team to McDavid and his partners and have instead been reported by the AJC to sell to Boston businessman Steve Belkin and local investors, which would include current Hawks chairman Michael Gearon, Sr., his son Michael Gearon, Jr. and attorney Rutherford Seydel, who is Ted Turner’s son-in-law.

I guess I want to say "I told you so". The deal with McDavid took too long and it was obvious many issues were not resolved. Don't get too excited about the new deal because this deal isn't done until the papers are signed and I learned a long time ago anything can happen. But this does sound like a done deal. Let's hope so. We can finally move forward and try to put a roster together. Then we can debate who starts and who comes off the bench. We need to put a team together quickly and hopefully a contender. If this sale is for real we can finaly make offers, trades, and sign contracts. Something we couldn't do with all the sale negotiations. We might not like the direction for this year but at least something is happening and we can finally put a team together.