• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hope the next coach can do what Woodson did

kalaps

Woody wasn't the greatest coach, but improving in the NBA 6 years in a row is not easy, even starting from a 13 win season. He took us to the playoffs the last 3 years, and let's be real, we lost to better constructed teams with dominant players. Yes he did reach his peak, and yes the players did start to tune him out, but give the man credit for what he has done. We can all sit back and say what we coulda, woulda, shoulda, but none of us is even close to assuming that position.

• Like 1

Woody wasn't the greatest coach, but improving in the NBA 6 years in a row is not easy, even starting from a 13 win season. He took us to the playoffs the last 3 years, and let's be real, we lost to better constructed teams with dominant players. Yes he did reach his peak, and yes the players did start to tune him out, but give the man credit for what he has done. We can all sit back and say what we coulda, woulda, shoulda, but none of us is even close to assuming that position.

He was a scapegoat-constructed. If you do not have the parts, it will be a matter of time before you get fired. He was tuned out by weak minded players that understood they did not have the parts. Woody could not motivated (trick) them into believing they were better that they were.

In the end, they (Hawk players) were what they thought they were and played the way the were.

For Sund to not sign Woody is amazing considering he signed Marvin and Bibs. Guess he couldn't cancel his own(Sund) contract.

• Moderators

He was tuned out by weak minded players

For Sund to not sign Woody is amazing

How many teams would invite back a 6 year coach that just put together arguably the worst post-season in NBA history after he had been visibly tuned out by his players with zero dollars owed to him?

I don't think many.

I guess we will see how highly teams rate Woodson by how quickly they rush to hire him and how many top jobs he is offered.

• Premium Member

I don't see what Woody did as being that great. Had we been a .500 team starting off and he improved us 6 years in a row, that would have been impressive. However, i really think that Woody did make do with the talent that he was given. Not saying that he's Lenny Wilkens and he got his gang to overachieve, but I'm saying he got his team to make realistic goals.

What I would like to see is the new coach taking whatever he is given and make that team give effort and do things as a team. I did not feel like we were ever a team under Woody. I think it was more like Vets and young guys. Especially this last season. I felt that you saw Joe and Jamal not really working cohesively. Jamal worked with Al on pick and role. But Everytime Joe had the ball, it felt like the next to last person he would pass it to was Jamal. I want to see a new coach impart some team work, effort on individual defense, accountability, and player development.

How many teams would invite back a 6 year coach that just put together arguably the worst post-season in NBA history after he had been visibly tuned out by his players with zero dollars owed to him?

I don't think many.

I guess we will see how highly teams rate Woodson by how quickly they rush to hire him and how many top jobs he is offered.

The decision to not grant Woody a contract was a foregone conclusion for sure. But seeds were sowed by giving him Marvin and Bibs as starters without getting other available parts. Big Baby could have been had (fresh from dogging Al the end of the '09 season). Heywood, Jamison and Butler from January. Good God, Chillz. Hienrich's been dangling.

I guess like Wall st., Woody's decision was a correction. But Signing Marvin and Bibs was BKish in the area of poor decisions.

• Like 1

• Moderators

The decision to not grant Woody a contract was a foregone conclusion for sure. But seeds were sowed by giving him Marvin and Bibs as starters without getting other available parts. Big Baby could have been had (fresh from dogging Al the end of the '09 season). Heywood, Jamison and Butler from January. Good God, Chillz. Hienrich's been dangling.

I guess like Wall st., Woody's decision was a correction. But Signing Marvin and Bibs was BKish in the area of poor decisions.

I supported both those moves and did not see Marvin significantly regressing like he did or Bibby just falling off a cliff like he did. Clearly those moves look terrible given the benefit of hindsight and Sund will have to answer for them if the players don't improve and/or Sund can't correct going forward.

Edited by AHF

I don't see what Woody did as being that great. Had we been a .500 team starting off and he improved us 6 years in a row, that would have been impressive. However, i really think that Woody did make do with the talent that he was given. Not saying that he's Lenny Wilkens and he got his gang to overachieve, but I'm saying he got his team to make realistic goals.

What I would like to see is the new coach taking whatever he is given and make that team give effort and do things as a team. I did not feel like we were ever a team under Woody. I think it was more like Vets and young guys. Especially this last season. I felt that you saw Joe and Jamal not really working cohesively. Jamal worked with Al on pick and role. But Everytime Joe had the ball, it felt like the next to last person he would pass it to was Jamal. I want to see a new coach impart some team work, effort on individual defense, accountability, and player development.

If Joe is back, his hands need to be freed. I believe the more power a coach has the better the team Can be. I'd like to have a coach with the personnel authority. Players would then be accountable from the jump.

Don't get me wrong, I thought he should have been gone last year. To his credit, he was able to maintain a gradual progresion. I never really saw us as an elite team, better than the rest, but not as good as the best. To get to that level woody had to go. Its like your dad can only take you to a certain point, but eventually you're gonna need a real coach