• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I wonder about GM and Coach?

Diesel

• Premium Member

Are Stotts and Knight safe?

I suppose they were given a deal just to have somebody in place til the deal was finished. Well, if the deal is finished today... Do you think this group will maintain Stotts and Knight?

Also, what about Kasten?

Kasten is one of the smartest sports minds in the game. Could he be giving Power over the Hawks in total... IF so, could he do what he wanted to do a long time ago???

Hire Isiah?

I mean, this would mean everything...

IF... Kasten was given control (didn't Gearon hire Kasten the first time) and Kasten felt like it... Don't you think it's possible that Zeke could become the new GM?

I don't think Kasten would do that to Knight. IN fact, Kasten doesn't like to fire anybody.

However, this will bring about some interesting scenerios.

Don't judge Stan by the last two years.

He was the GM of the Hawks from 1977 through 1989. During that time, he built some very good teams. Stan Kasten was the man responsible for sending the trade that got the Hawks Dominique Wilkins. Kasten hired Fratello. He pulled off the Dan Roundfield for Antoine Carr and Cliff Levingston deal. He drafted Doc Rivers at the top of the 2nd round. He signed Spud Webb to a rookie free agent contract. He drafted Kevin Willis.

He had some of his down moments, like drafting Jon Koncak and Dallas Comegys, but overall, he was the GM during the Hawks best years in the late 80s.

He will be kept on, IMO, and there will be no change in the coaching staff. Kasten likes Billy Knight and Terry Stotts, though I believe the guy he really wants is Doc Rivers.

• Premium Member

Actually... When you look...

Braves... 12 division titles in a row.

He engineered the Hawks up until 90 when he turned it over to Babcock.

If you look at those teams he put together. It's pretty good work.

He was the First GM, Team President to ever go overseas and recruit foriegn players.

He was the first GM, Team President to go overseas to hold an exhibition with a team.

When you look over some of the things he was doing in the 80's.....GM's like Nellie do them same things now and people call him genuis.

I think had Kasten never given up control of the Hawks, that he would have put us in the championship game.

don't get me wrong, I am saying nothing of his baseball expertise. But in terms of basketball, I disagree. If nothing else, he failed to reckognize how poorly Babcock was performing and fire him. I mean Babcock was the worst in the league, yet was the longest standing

How he was not fired about 3 years ago if not sooner is beyond me

• Premium Member

Again... I think one of Kasten's biggest flaws is that he doesn't like to fire people. That's been well documented. We all know that Babcock should have left with Lenny... But Babcock was like a rollercoaster. He'd pull off bad drafts then good trades then bad trades then good trades.

Like he followed up trading NIQUE for basically nothing with trading Willis for Smith and Long. At the time, that was a pretty nice (Franchise saving) deal.

He followed up his failures with Cal, etc with Getting SAR for Lo, Knight, and #3.

He followed that up with Deke for Theo, Nazr, Toni.

He followed that up with Toni for Grob.

None of those moves were bad. In fact, given the opportunity, I would make them. However, Babcock's biggest problem is that he never had a plan. He never had a design for what the team should be. So he was bound to be carried by every wind of hope.

Kasten works for Turner Sports - they are a silent partner in the deal, but will provide NO mgemt.

Since Turner Sports is no long managing the Hawks, he's out of a job. He won't have 2 employers, Atlanta Spirit AND Turner Sports. Having 2 bosses is very different from having 2 jobs for 1 boss.

For the Hawks to keep him, he'd have to quit the Braves.

imvho