• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Rick Sund is blowing smoke!

LastDon

I think that Rick Sund is sending smoke signals to the rest of the league. The most glaring weakness of the hawks is the center positon. We clearly need to get bigger at this position. However the only center that we will work out is Solomon Alabi. I think that doing this is for projection purposes. Everyone projects that Alabi will fall in the range where the hawks are drafting. Sund wants to take a look at the guy to see if he is a stiff in the case the guy he really is targeting is off the board. At this stage in the draft everyone knows that the Cousins, and Monroes will be long gone at this point but I think that the guy the Hawksare targeting is JEROME JORDAN. Personally, I was blown away by the interview that he has on draftexpress.com. This guy is atheletic, can shoot block shots and has improved every year at Tulsa. I garantee that this guy is going in the first round. We would be very naive to let a guy with his skill sets past us by. Jerome Jordan is the sleeper of this draft and will be a better pro than Greg Monroe and Cole Aldrich. If he is available we have to draft this kid unless Damion James is still on the board. U guys are going to be very suprise when Jordan goes in the late teens. This is very concievable for a guy of this size and skill sets. In that workout on draft express JEROME JORDAN looked much better than Jarvis Varnado who is also predicted by some to have a chance to go late first. I WANT JEROME JORDAN THURSDAY OVER COLE ALDRICH, HASSAN WHITESIDE,SEPHERIN, ALABI, LAWAL, AND ALL OF THE SMALL GUARDS LIKE DOMINIQUE JONES...QUALITY VETERAN WING PLAYERS ARE VERY CHEAP THIS DAY IN AGE IN THE LEAGUE. GUYS LIKE MAT BARNES RASHAD MCANTS CAN BE HAD FOR 3 OR 4 MILLION BUCKS. OR LESS...DRAFT A DAM CENTER RICK!!!!

The numbers just do not back up the premise that Atlanta's biggest need is the center position. Atlanta was actually a middle of the pack team when it came to defending shots at the rim. They held teams to a FG% that was right at the average of the NBA, which was about 61%. The Hawks interior defenders were certainly not as bad as Minnesota's, who had the worst defense in the NBA on shots at the rim and one of the worst interior defenses overall. Not only that, but Atlanta had the 6th best defense in the NBA at defending shots in the less than 10 feet range. The NBA average is 44.1% while Atlanta held teams to 41.4% shooting from inside ten feet.

Now, we get to the Hawks real problem. Defending the perimeter. The Hawks had the 5th worst opponents FG% in the 16-23 feet range. They allowed the opposition to hit 41.1% of their jump shots in this range. The NBA average opponents FG% in this range was 39.6%. The only teams worse than Atlanta at defending this area of the floor were the Pistons, the Knicks (who completely ignores defense), the Nets, and the Hornets.

It's very clear when looking at the numbers that Atlanta's perimeter defense is what needs to be fixed first, and hopefully, the best player available will be a long armed, athletic guard/wing.

The numbers just do not back up the premise that Atlanta's biggest need is the center position. Atlanta was actually a middle of the pack team when it came to defending shots at the rim. They held teams to a FG% that was right at the average of the NBA, which was about 61%. The Hawks interior defenders were certainly not as bad as Minnesota's, who had the worst defense in the NBA on shots at the rim and one of the worst interior defenses overall. Not only that, but Atlanta had the 6th best defense in the NBA at defending shots in the less than 10 feet range. The NBA average is 44.1% while Atlanta held teams to 41.4% shooting from inside ten feet.

Now, we get to the Hawks real problem. Defending the perimeter. The Hawks had the 5th worst opponents FG% in the 16-23 feet range. They allowed the opposition to hit 41.1% of their jump shots in this range. The NBA average opponents FG% in this range was 39.6%. The only teams worse than Atlanta at defending this area of the floor were the Pistons, the Knicks (who completely ignores defense), the Nets, and the Hornets.

It's very clear when looking at the numbers that Atlanta's perimeter defense is what needs to be fixed first, and hopefully, the best player available will be a long armed, athletic guard/wing.

I assume those numbers are from the regular season, unfortunately that does not cut it with most

Hawks fans anymore, they want to go to the next level and I don't blame them. To go to the next level

the Hawks are going to have to match-up on the interior with the elite teams, that's real obvious.

Perimeter defense is as important now as it ever was in the NBA, but first things first.

• Premium Member

Let's be reasonable.

I see no real purpose in drafting for need when you're all the way down at #24. The chances of landing a player of immediate impact is just so remote statistically, it seems silly for anyone to get their panties in a wad over what position we draft. To the contrary, at that position, you have to strictly go for BPA, and if that BPA happens to play at a position of strength and they actually work out to be good, it still pays off in that you have added flexibility in the trade market and simultaneously (and probably an underappreciated point) flexibility that allows you to not over-pay when the guys ahead of the new guy become UFAs or RFAs.

So, if as some are thinking, Whiteside drifts down the draft and possibly could be snared at #24, that's all good and fine. But only if he's actually the BPA.

The perimeter defensive woes mainly come from bibby not being able to stop penetration and still receiving major minutes. This should be solved with Teague in the starting lineup. Joe, Mo, and Marv usually do a pretty good job guarding out there on the perimeter. Woodson philosophy of switching bigs on smalls constantly is also a contributing factor to this problem. We need a BIG KB...Jerome Jordan is so skilled that it would be babcock like if we passed him up. Rick is clearly creating a smoke screen because there is no way that Jordan and Pittman shouldn't have recieved workouts the way we were exposed on the interior in the playoffs.

Let's be reasonable.

I see no real purpose in drafting for need when you're all the way down at #24. The chances of landing a player of immediate impact is just so remote statistically, it seems silly for anyone to get their panties in a wad over what position we draft. To the contrary, at that position, you have to strictly go for BPA, and if that BPA happens to play at a position of strength and they actually work out to be good, it still pays off in that you have added flexibility in the trade market and simultaneously (and probably an underappreciated point) flexibility that allows you to not over-pay when the guys ahead of the new guy become UFAs or RFAs.

So, if as some are thinking, Whiteside drifts down the draft and possibly could be snared at #24, that's all good and fine. But only if he's actually the BPA.

Sturt watch the clips of that guy on draftexpress.com. THAT KID JEROME JORDAN IS GOOD!! Whiteside was dominated by Jordan on 3 occassions during the regular season and has also been dominated by Jordan during draft work outs. Also there are reports that Whiteside is a retard and wouldnt be able to learn the offense.. No to Hassan Whiteside.....He is another Slow mile Swift.

The perimeter defensive woes mainly come from bibby not being able to stop penetration and still receiving major minutes. This should be solved with Teague in the starting lineup. Joe, Mo, and Marv usually do a pretty good job guarding out there on the perimeter. Woodson philosophy of switching bigs on smalls constantly is also a contributing factor to this problem. We need a BIG KB...Jerome Jordan is so skilled that it would be babcock like if we passed him up. Rick is clearly creating a smoke screen because there is no way that Jordan and Pittman shouldn't have recieved workouts the way we were exposed on the interior in the playoffs.

The perimeter defensive woes come from a combination of things, most of which is simply a lack of quality defenders. Marvin Williams is the only player on the team that can guard other small forwards. Mike Bibby and Jamal Crawford can't guard a chair. Mo Evans isn't much better than either of them, and he clearly cannot guard opposing small fowards. Joe Johnson shouldn't be asked to guard opposing point guards, and he has to expend so much energy on offense that he uses defense to rest at times. Overall, it's not a good situation for the Hawks on the perimeter.

The interior defense is very good considering the switching defenses had Al Horford out on the perimeter guarding guards on occasion, and mis matches would pull Josh Smith away from the paint and to the perimeter, where he cannot defend at all.

This idea that the Hawks need a center is a knee jerk reaction to Dwight Howard. If the Hawks try to make there team so they can defend Dwight Howard, then they will never make that push over the hump. It wasn't Atlanta's inability to defend Dwight Howard that got them killed against Orlando. It was their inability to defend anyone else.

• Premium Member

Sturt watch the clips of that guy on draftexpress.com. THAT KID JEROME JORDAN IS GOOD!! Whiteside was dominated by Jordan on 3 occassions during the regular season and has also been dominated by Jordan during draft work outs. Also there are reports that Whiteside is a retard and wouldnt be able to learn the offense.. No to Hassan Whiteside.....He is another Slow mile Swift.

Don, I think you read right over top of my point.

Let me try this again.

I'm good with Jordan if he's BPA, I'm good with Whiteside if he's BPA... but don't draft either of them if they're not BPA at #24. Any guy you pick at that position is going to have a floor that is less than appealing, and perhaps a less than appealing ceiling as well.

I'm beginning to wonder how cheaply some think Childress is gonna sign for.

Please understand that the Hawks will be faced will real luxury tax concerns if they try to sign both Josh and Joe.

No one will offer childress more than the qualifying offer that the hawks offered. Guys like Grant Hill who averaged mid teens in points aren't making more than 4 mill. The league isn't jus throwing around money anymore. Childress will be a hawk or some other player of slightly lesser value will be via sign and trade. Our problems does not exist on the wing. We are one piece from being complete and that is having another quality big. Al Horford said it himself that he think we need more help on the interior.

I assume those numbers are from the regular season, unfortunately that does not cut it with most

Hawks fans anymore, they want to go to the next level and I don't blame them. To go to the next level

the Hawks are going to have to match-up on the interior with the elite teams, that's real obvious.

Perimeter defense is as important now as it ever was in the NBA, but first things first.

Any fan who thinks we will find the answer to Dwight Howard at #24 needs to smoke another bowl. Our starting PG, SG, and SF were outplayed just as badly or worse for that whole series as well. I am with Sturt and all the rest who share this opinon.....Draft BPA and lets move on.

• Like 1

Don, I think you read right over top of my point.

Let me try this again.

I'm good with Jordan if he's BPA, I'm good with Whiteside if he's BPA... but don't draft either of them if they're not BPA at #24. Any guy you pick at that position is going to have a floor that is less than appealing, and perhaps a less than appealing ceiling as well.

I think when you look at things from BPA standpoint u have to look at things from your teams perspective. For instance, I guy like Elliot Williams of Memphis might be the best player available at 24 but we dont need another point. I think that BPA should be based on team needs. If we draft another wing we have to take into consideration about whether or not that guy will be able to compete for minutes. With the exeception of Damion James(who shouldnt be available at this point) I see no one that would be capable of taking minutes from Joe Marv, Mo, Crawford. However, there has to be a big in this draft that can come in take minutes away from Randolf Morris, Twin, and Joe Smith who is a quality backup 4 but horrible backup center. IMO the hawks should look at this situation like will there be a clear drop off in talent level in centers available at 24 and the ones that will be av ailable with the late second round pick.?? If so draft the Best Center available at 24 if there is no clear drop off then wait till the late second. For playoff teams I think that NEED trumps BPA when trying to add the right pieces to win a championship. Which brings me to my main point again about why arent we working out CENTERS?? RICK IS SETTING UP A SMOKE SCREEN WE ARE DEFINITELY GOING BIG IN THIS DRAFT!

• Premium Member

I think when you look at things from BPA standpoint u have to look at things from your teams perspective. For instance, I guy like Elliot Williams of Memphis might be the best player available at 24 but we dont need another point. I think that BPA should be based on team needs. ....

You lost me here.

BPA is BPA.

Team need is team need.

One or the other must take priority unless you happen to rate two players EXACTLY the same, and then can default to team need because of the tie.

If BPA leads us to another point guard, so be it, and for the rational reasons I've just explained. Enough said.

Any fan who thinks we will find the answer to Dwight Howard at #24 needs to smoke another bowl. Our starting PG, SG, and SF were outplayed just as badly or worse for that whole series as well. I am with Sturt and all the rest who share this opinon.....Draft BPA and lets move on.

Our perimeter players were exposed because we had a coach who was terrible at making adjustments and a offense that was based primarily on Isolations which is not a formula for success when playing against a shot blocker

You lost me here.

BPA is BPA.

Team need is team need.

One or the other must take priority unless you happen to rate two players EXACTLY the same, and then can default to team need because of the tie.

If BPA leads us to another point guard, so be it, and for the rational reasons I've just explained. Enough said.

Our team needs a center and we have to take the best center thats left at 24 if he is clearly better than the ones that are available late in the second.