• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Chris Paul on the block?

MrRyda

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-paulhornets062110

Our chance to fix what was meant to be?

I stopped reading at the 3rd paragraph. The team is being sold to Gary Chouest who doesn't want to trade Paul. The current owner won't jeopardize the deal by trading Paul before the close of the sale.

Would be nice though :)

Here's the problem:

League sources believe the New Jersey Nets are willing to part with the No. 3 pick and every player on their roster except for center Brook Lopez

I don't think we have the ability to match an offer like that without decimating our roster, and CP3 isn't going to win anything by himself. NJ pulls the trigger on this, then goes after LBJ.

CP3, LBJ, and Lopez makes for a championship caliber team. It must be nice to have Daddy Warbucks as an owner.

• Moderators

(((Marvin and BK slams in three... two... one...)))

But in the meantime...

The "pull factor" is coming from those who think LeBron wants an Olympic-level point guard to pair with. Just pretending it's true, this could be a good development for the Hawks; unless Mister Johnson wants to become "Joe the Passer," Mister James is not perceiving him to be the Robin for his Batman. Only a team that has cap space for two free agents AND enough valuable commodities on the roster to snare Paul's $15 million salary (New Jersey? Chicago?) would allow for the CP3-Joe-Bron triumvirate to occur. Atlanta fails the first test, so entertaining Paul trades would not work under this scenario. Cleveland could re-sign LeBron and trade for Paul, but would they have room to sign Joe as well?

The "push factor" would be from an outgoing owner who, were he to trade and not get an acknowledged "star" personality in return, would now become persona not grata in two metropolitan areas, arguably the most hated man in Louisiana not named Hayward. Paul is recovering from injury, and the NOLA area, recovering from several more important things, has no interest in rushing his return. The Hornets remain in the bottom half of the league attendance-wise WITH Paul, never getting above 15th since the team returned full-time post-Katrina. Trading him while keeping overpriced guys on the roster like MoPete and Posey (and probably Peja, unless he heads to Europe) would prove disastrous for marketability and make the incumbent GM Bower's life a daily hell until his contract ends two years from now. Hornets fans will not be interested in shipping Paul out at least until they see how he recovers next season from his current injury.

~lw3

• Admin

Here's the problem:

I don't think we have the ability to match an offer like that without decimating our roster, and CP3 isn't going to win anything by himself. NJ pulls the trigger on this, then goes after LBJ.

CP3, LBJ, and Lopez makes for a championship caliber team. It must be nice to have Daddy Warbucks as an owner.

Salary wise Smith/Marvin/Bibby + 24th pick for Paul/Okafor/Thorton works. The BYC affects it though (which I don't completely understand)

NO wants to get out of Okafor's contract and taking on two smaller shorter contracts are the way to go plus they get Smith. They could trade Bibby next season when he is in the last year of his contract. This allows them to move Collison to the forefront and that save a ton of money

Getting Paul will help us resign Joe and getting Okafor would get us a center and allow Al to move to PF. Resign Chil to play SF and we would be one pf if not the top team in the East.

Paul/Teague

Joe/Crawford

Chil/Evans

Al/Min Free Agent

Okafor/Zaza

Its a pipe dream and the BYC doesn't allow it anyway

Salary wise Smith/Marvin/Bibby + 24th pick for Paul/Okafor/Thorton works...

I realize you prefaced this with "salar-wise" cap, so I won't criticize...but wow, wouldn't NO fans simply tar and feather the GM and burn down the arena if this were to actually happen rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

• Admin

I realize you prefaced this with "salar-wise" cap, so I won't criticize...but wow, wouldn't NO fans simply tar and feather the GM and burn down the arena if this were to actually happen rolleyes.gif

They don't have any fans :)

No one comes to their games

They don't have any fans :)

No one comes to their games

They are in a similar boat as us...88.5 capacity vs our 88.3 capacity. They have Paul we have the playoffs and home victories.