• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Marvin Returns Home a Happy Camper

pimp

BREMERTON —

Defense was the first order of business as the Marvin Williams’ Attack Youth Basketball Camp opened on Tuesday.

“Who do you guard when you play the Lakers?” yelled camp director Dave Hudson.

“Kobe Bryant,” answered Williams, who has played five seasons for the Atlanta Hawks.

Read more: http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2010/jul/06/marvin-a-happy-camper/#ixzz0szJT3lDM

more My link

20100706-214356-pic-951045216_t300.jpg

“My dad told me the very first day I was drafted, this is a business, and don’t ever forget it,” Williams said. “That’s the first thing he told me, and I completely understand it. I’ve seen it happen. My closest friends, (Josh) Childress, Sheldon (Williams), here-today, gone-tomorrow type of thing.

“I completely understand. If it happens, it happens. I’ve always expressed my love for Atlanta.”

Edited by pimp
  • Like 1

Dam Marvin is such a good guy. I wish he would come out balling this year. Imma big Marvin fan but dam we need some production from the SF and Marvin didnt give us nothing last year.

At least he realizes it. If Marvin's here next season or not doesn't really matter to me. Glad to see he is a man about it though. No doubt wish him the best regardless.

BREMERTON —

Defense was the first order of business as the Marvin Williams’ Attack Youth Basketball Camp opened on Tuesday.

“Who do you guard when you play the Lakers?” yelled camp director Dave Hudson.

“Kobe Bryant,” answered Williams, who has played five seasons for the Atlanta Hawks.

“The best players in the world,” Hudson summed up as he was directing more than 70 campers in a defensive drill.

“And do you get to play if you don’t play defense?” Hudson asked.

“No, you never get to play,” Williams answered.

This is the first time Williams, an All-American when he last played in the Bremerton High gym, hosted a basketball camp. It could become an annual deal.

“I’m hoping so,” he said. “It’s a test run.”

Hudson, who played at Washington, runs summer basketball camps for several Seattle-based NBA players, including Jamal Crawford and Nate Robinson. Hudson runs the camp; Williams acts as the host.

Williams was smiling as he worked with some of the campers on their defensive skills.

“Camps are a fun time,” he said. “I’ve always been a big guy for kids.”

Among the coaches helping out are his brother J’Tonn Dale, his cousin Andre Coleman and his friend Zac Townsend, who coaches at Bainbridge.

Williams’ camp comes on the heels of another Bremerton alum, Miah Davis, hosting his own camp last week.

“I wish I would have known, I would have made a conscious effort to get back,” Williams said. “... I can’t express what he means to my generation.”

Williams was in middle school when the Davis-led Knights finished fifth at the state tournament in 1999.

“They kind of paved the way for guys like myself,” Williams said. “I hope I can do the same thing.”

Williams liked the idea of Bremerton’s greatest hosting camps in the area. He even pointed out that Jarell Flora has headed to play at Seattle U.

“As long as the ball keeps rolling, man,” Williams said. “Bremerton will start to be known as a place that produces products.”

As Williams hosts his camp, the NBA is roiling in rumors and reports as the free agency period is underway.

Rumors surfaced Monday night that the Hawks could sign Shaquille O’Neal

Last week, reports surfaced that the Hawks were considering trading Williams, who was the No. 2 pick in 2005 draft.

“My dad told me the very first day I was drafted, this is a business, and don’t ever forget it,” Williams said. “That’s the first thing he told me, and I completely understand it. I’ve seen it happen. My closest friends, (Josh) Childress, Sheldon (Williams), here-today, gone-tomorrow type of thing.

“I completely understand. If it happens, it happens. I’ve always expressed my love for Atlanta.”

Williams signed a five-year contract worth $37.5 million before the season. He averaged 10.1 points and 5.1 rebounds per game, the lowest totals since his rookie season.

“If you take a look from a statistical standpoint, my numbers obviously are down from previous years,” Williams said, “but my team has gotten better from previous years.”

The Hawks have improved each year Williams has been in the league and the high-water mark this year was 53 wins. They’ve made the second round of the playoffs the last two years, but this year’s run ended with a disappointing sweep by the Orlando Magic.

“I’m a win-first kind of guy,” said Williams, repeating a mantra he’s had since high school. “I’ve never been a Marvin Williams-over-the-team type of guy.

“...I’m more disappointed in the way we played as a team in the postseason than my numbers.”

Read more: http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2010/jul/06/marvin-a-happy-camper/#ixzz0t0HEMjvp

Damn this says alot about this dude. I say let's see what LD's system can do before we move anybody. Hell we already got AL whining about no getting enough touches in the paint. Doesn't seem like he is part of the "chemistry problems" we been having.

• Like 2

I am pretty sure he will still be a Hawks player baring some miracle trade. If the team isn't going to move from Smoove at PF and Horf at C. Marvin only make sense to keep at SF. As a person Marvin is easy to like. I am sure even the Marvin haters can agree to that. As a bball player :shake_puter: I am tired of waiting on him to take a step forward. Some players develop at certain times in their careers. I just hope this is the year he finally develops. I truly believe he could we would jump to be a championship contender. I am tired of hoping and wishing for this guy. He need to get damn act together and start showing he can actually play the game at a semi-pro level. Right now he is playing the game at a middle school level.

• Premium Member

Damn this says alot about this dude. I say let's see what LD's system can do before we move anybody. Hell we already got AL whining about no getting enough touches in the paint. Doesn't seem like he is part of the "chemistry problems" we been having.

Problem I have with Marv is that we need a guy in that slot to have the exact opposite attitude. We need another guy in the starting lineup that can create for himself and is not afraid to take shots. He is a good guy though and I hate that his production fell off. He looked VERY promising a couple of seasons ago. It really is a shame that with his size, quickness, and ability to hit the outside shot that he doesn't want to step up. He could really be something if he had the fire to do so.

• Premium Member

I am pretty sure he will still be a Hawks player baring some miracle trade. If the team isn't going to move from Smoove at PF and Horf at C. Marvin only make sense to keep at SF. As a person Marvin is easy to like. I am sure even the Marvin haters can agree to that. As a bball player :shake_puter: I am tired of waiting on him to take a step forward. Some players develop at certain times in their careers. I just hope this is the year he finally develops. I truly believe he could we would jump to be a championship contender. I am tired of hoping and wishing for this guy. He need to get damn act together and start showing he can actually play the game at a semi-pro level. Right now he is playing the game at a middle school level.

Couldn't agree more.

Broken record here I'm sure, but I would like to see Marvin in a offense where he's not stuck in the corner watching Joe and iso ball. He would be so much more effective on the offensive end if we could run him off some screens and get him more 18 ft. looks.

mediocre ball player; superb person

Marvin seems mediocre but really isn't! He is a " I'll do anything you need coach" type of player. I think Woodson made a role for every player around JJ . Marvin was the "Take on there best player on defense so Joe can score man"....He he!!!! It was not a glam job, but it was an important job. Marvin needs a coach to say score the ball in our offensive scheme and continue to defend their best defender!!!!!!

• Premium Member

Marvin seems mediocre but really isn't! He is a " I'll do anything you need coach" type of player. I think Woodson made a role for every player around JJ . Marvin was the "Take on there best player on defense so Joe can score man"....He he!!!! It was not a glam job, but it was an important job. Marvin needs a coach to say score the ball in our offensive scheme and continue to defend their best defender!!!!!!

He has to have the desire though... All the coaching and the right system...etc. is not going to change a player if he doesn't have that fire. It's a mental thing and it's what separates the good from the ok...and the BEST from the good. Every impact player in the league has that fire about them. I can't think of one who doesn't.

Some people, including players, mistake that sort of attitude for a "selfish" one. Sometimes, that is the case (Marbury for example). Most often though, the attitude is associated with players who just refuse to be mediocre and refuse to lose. Marvin doesn't have that. He has the attitude of a journeyman who'll take whatever he is given - and it's hurting him.

you guys who dont think marvin has desire are tripping. you dont know him personally. it takes alot of desire to just play in the nba let alone start for a 53 win team. i got 20 on marvin improving in every cat this next season.

• Premium Member

you guys who dont think marvin has desire are tripping. you dont know him personally. it takes alot of desire to just play in the nba let alone start for a 53 win team. i got 20 on marvin improving in every cat this next season.

The issue is not where or not he has the desire to be a better player. The issue is does he have enough fire and desire to be the best player he CAN be... Marvin has not shown the latter - either in his personality or his approach to the game. I applauded him a few summers ago when he made a commitment to hitting the 3 ball. He needs to get back to that AND he needs to shed that passive "everybody but me" attitude if he's going to finally break out.