• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Summer League Notes

reeballin4

1st I want to say that Teague is the future at PG!!! He wasn't an superstar or anything but his poise on the court and basketball IQ is evident by watching him play the game. He isn't too vocal but there were plays when he made backdoor cuts, precise passes, and just read the defense and took the easy play. He also played good defense against OJ Mayo who made some shots that he couldn't do anything against. Although the Grizzlies used their regular season team, all five starters were on regular season roster, he looked comfortable. Jordan Crawford is a very good shooter. His ball handling needs improvement as he sloutches when he plays and his dribbling is weak but he can score the ball. If he can develop into a spot up shooter and energy player off the bench he can earn PT. IMO those were the only NBA players on the team. Pape Sy is mediocre and was not worthy of that pick. I also watched the Kings summer league game and watched Whiteside block so many shots and cause fits for the opposing team on defense. He looked very good playing help side defense which could of helped with Horford matched up with the other teams best offensive player. Randolph Morris is a bum! There is no way he should make the roster. Gladyr really didnt do anything, and the other players were just out there. We're set at the guard positions and we need a center!!! But the game was good as Teague and JC2 looked good together.

• Like 2

Jordan Crawford always sloutches and blows by people. Why would he change now? Thats like telling Tim Hardaway not to cross over.

Also noticed he takes the hugest strides. You'll always know he's on the court just by the way he dribbles....

Edited by johnnyde

1st I want to say that Teague is the future at PG!!! He wasn't an superstar or anything but his poise on the court and basketball IQ is evident by watching him play the game. He isn't too vocal but there were plays when he made backdoor cuts, precise passes, and just read the defense and took the easy play. He also played good defense against OJ Mayo who made some shots that he couldn't do anything against. Although the Grizzlies used their regular season team, all five starters were on regular season roster, he looked comfortable. Jordan Crawford is a very good shooter. His ball handling needs improvement as he sloutches when he plays and his dribbling is weak but he can score the ball. If he can develop into a spot up shooter and energy player off the bench he can earn PT. IMO those were the only NBA players on the team. Pape Sy is mediocre and was not worthy of that pick. I also watched the Kings summer league game and watched Whiteside block so many shots and cause fits for the opposing team on defense. He looked very good playing help side defense which could of helped with Horford matched up with the other teams best offensive player. Randolph Morris is a bum! There is no way he should make the roster. Gladyr really didnt do anything, and the other players were just out there. We're set at the guard positions and we need a center!!! But the game was good as Teague and JC2 looked good together.

I thought No.44 played well also. His name is Alade Aminu and his brother was drafted I think by the Clippers first round.

Memphis SL team is far from scrubs. Now we are scrubs but most of these guys will not be on the final roster.

Edited by nbasuperstar40

Pape Sy must have had a slow start and this post was premature.

Dude was balling in the 2nd half

A. Aminu - You guys haven't mentioned Aminu much / He was very agggressive and when you have this type of height and his agility, you can be a solid player / Let's see if he can keep it up and get a spot ./ he was very solid on both ends...

Teague - look very decent / very solid decisions and sharp ballhandling even when pressured / knocked down a few shots including a sick 3PT splash when he broke some guys ankles and maed him fall...

J. Crawford - looked almost like a mix of Joe/Jamal / Joe's deceptive quickness + Jamal's fearlessness / Jordan can shoot and is not afraid to / also made 3-4 nice dishes / and he hustles on DEF (gambles a little)

Pape Sy - started very slow and tenative, but when he turn it up, he looked ready (some early calls against him may have played into that a bit too) / he was was very comfortable handling the ball @ PG!!!

J. Augustine - didn't do anything special but he played solid and showed decent skills / he has a good basketball IQ...

R. Hendrix - made BIG impact with hustle and DEF / he may not make da team / but he kept us in this game toward the end / was a real solid impact...

Edited by y2kenta
  • Like 3

A. Aminu - You guys haven't mentioned Aminu! He was very agggressive and when you have this type of height and his agility, you can be a solid player / Let's see if he can keep it up and get a spot...

Teague - look very decent / very solid decisions and sharp ballhandling even when pressured / knocked down a few shots including a sick 3PT splash when he broke some guys ankles and maed him fall...

J. Crawford - looked almost like a mix of Joe/Jamal / Joe's deceptive quickness + Jamal's fearlessness / Jordan can shoot and is not afraid to / also made 3-4 nice dishes / and he hustles on DEF (gambles a little)

Pape Sy - started very slow and tenative, but when he turn it up, he looked ready (some early calls against him may have played into that a bit too) / he was was very comfortable handling the ball @ PG!!!

J. Augustine - didn't do anything special but he played solid and showed decent skills / he has a good basketball IQ...

R. Hendrix - made BIG impact with hustle and DEF / he may not make da team / but he kept us in this game toward the end / was a real solid impact...

+1

Some initial impressions:

Augustine actually stood out to me. He did all the little things that a big should be doing - seems like a very competent big man. And everytime I looked at him I kept thinking Rony Seikaly(not game, just looks).

Crawford knows how to play and seems to just have that natural feel for the game. I don't think he is gonna have a problem scoring. Flip Murray as his floor? Scouting reports had doubts about his commitment to defense but he was very aware on team defense. How he will do man to man defense in the NBA we won't know til he goes up against the big boys and not these SL scrubs.

I'm so used to seeing Teague in limited minutes where he never seemed like he had any direction other than maybe trying to drive to the hole and putting up an awful shot. It was much nicer to see him "slow down" and play his game. A few mistakes with unforced turnovers(bad pass on pick and roll comes to mind) and still seems like he needs to get better at finishing at the hoop but he definitely looks like he is in control when he has the ball.

Aminu looks like he could accomplish the same things as Childress(not saying he would even make the team). Very active and long.

Morris is 6'11.

Most impressive players: Jeff Teague, Jordan Crawford, and Alade Aminu.

Jeff Teague: showed poise and he played in a good pace and seem under control. His body frame looks widen to me(or at least I think so) and his arms look bigger. He made some jumpshots that we didn't get to see last year. He also had some nice dishes to a lot of players. The only criticism I have about Teague is that he didn't command the ball like a point guard should. He let other players on the team like Jordan Crawford, Pape Sy, etc. bring up the ball and call some of the plays. Overall, he looks promising.

Jordan Crawford: I think we have a gem in Jordan. He hit his jumpshots(three 3 pointers in my count) and he's definitely not afraid to make plays in the offensive end. He also made some nice dishes out there and was willing to share the ball. Also, he made a lot of deflections out there on the defensive end...I'm not sure how many steals he got but he did deflect a lot of passes. I'm not sure about his conditioning. His body doesn't look like it's in tip top shape.

Pape Sy played out of control and doesn't seem to comfortable with the defense Memphis was doing. He got it going late in the game though. Also, Sy was put in the Point Guard position at one point when Teague was out and it doesn't look like he was playing out of position.

Alade Aminu was impressive to me. He seemed comfortable and just made plays tonight. Sergiy Gladyr hit a three pointer (only 1 by my count) and it was all net. Very good looking shot. Luke Jackson played decent but like Brent Barry said, he's not specialized in any of his skills, meaning he's not going to wow you with 1 particular skill he has. James Augustine was solid as well. He's a big body that plays aggressive. Not sure if he'll make the team but he outplayed RandMo tonight.

It's just one game but I like what I saw from Crawford, Teague, and Aminu. I really think Aminu has a shot on making this team right now.

Oh, and I was not impressed by Pape Sy. I don't see where the "diamond in the rough" stuff is coming from. There wasn't one thing he did or one special skill or attribute he had that stood out. Maybe he was just nervous?

Edit: Should mention that I didn't see a lot of the 3rd quarter where a lot of people are saying that Sy played better.

Edited by johnnyde
  • Like 2