• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

AJC: Atlanta Hawks: Brad Miller still in play as center options dwindle

Hawksquawk

• Squawkers
Hawks think Brad Miller is good fit for L.D.'s offense.

Hawks think Brad Miller is good fit for L.D.'s offense.

Las Vegas–It looks like the free-agent center situation finally is starting to shake out, with Atlanta’s (and Shaq’s) options dwindling:

– The Hawks are still in the running for Brad Miller.

“There is definitely mutual interest,” agent Mark Bartelstein said today. “Where that’s going to lead, it’s tough to say. There are a lot of things he’s looking at. Nothing has been decided.”

Boston and Miami also reportedly have been talking to Miller, but a return to Chicago is still a possibility. Bartelstein said Miller could make a decision by the end of the week.

The Hawks apparently think Miller would be a good fit in L.D.’s offense. He had been a good outside shooter for years but slipped in that area last season. So too did his defense and rebounding for that matter.

But Miller’s Synergy numbers in the post were pretty good at .87 points per possession on 204 possessions, suggesting he’s still tough around the basket. …

View the full article

Brad Miller Scouting Report

Overview: A skilled and savvy veteran center who can score, rebound, and is amongst the best passers at his position in the game today. Good height and very good bulk for the center position. Average athlete, who isn’t quick, fast, or especially explosive. One of the most talented and coordinated centers in the League. Great offensive repertoire especially in terms of passing and midrange play. Not your typical big man at all in terms of the way he plays. Had a nice career at Purdue, but had to spend some time overseas to make it to the League. Developed quickly once he got into the NBA. Not a numbers guy, but has appeared in two All-Star games. A bit of a dinosaur in today’s NBA, as he’s too slow to defend many of the more mobile modern big man, but isn’t willing to punish them on mismatches on the other end by taking them inside. Appears to have rededicated himself to conditioning recently, and is still producing at fairly a high level.

Offense: A highly skilled big man who gets almost half of his offense as a spot up shooter, but is also a functional pick and pop player and offensive rebounder. Displays a very good jumper for his size with range all the way out to the three point line. Is most effective as a midrange shooter, where he is actually one of the league’s best amongst big men, which opens up the paint significantly for Sacramento’s slashers. Good catch and shoot guy. Not a very good shooter off the dribble. Likes to have his feet set when he receives the ball. Great pick and pop guy. Adequate ball handler for his position. Likes to drive left. One of the best passing centers in the game. Very good court vision. Thrives as a passer in Sacramento’s offense, particularly from the high post. Gets a surprisingly small number of touches with his back to the basket in the post. Doesn’t seem to want to play inside that much, which hurts his efficiency. Gets better position as an offensive rebounder than he does when he wants the ball in the post. Not very explosive off his feet, which hampers him from finishing inside. Still gets to the free throw line at a solid rate, and shoots a terrific percentage once there.

Defense: Somewhat of a defensive liability in today’s up and down NBA. Gets posted up inside fairly often, and doesn’t offer a great deal of resistance. Tends to swipe at the ball excessively. Displays extremely poor lateral quickness when forced to step outside, looking almost helpless as quicker players blow right by him. Displays very sure hands, and will get his fair share of steals with crafty post defense. Will block some shots by virtue of his height, but isn’t a game changer in that way. Does a good job contesting shots when his defender decides to settle for jumpers. Grabs rebounds at a high rate, thanks to his bulk and outstanding hands. Doesn’t have a lot of trouble fighting for position on the boards. Needs to give a better effort. Commits some unnecessary fouls when he’s beat. Could stand to try and play up to his competition. A change of scenery may help.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Brad-Miller-3601/#ixzz0tcE7L22X'>http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Brad-Miller-3601/#ixzz0tcE7L22X

http://www.draftexpress.com

Edited by GameTime

The Hawks need to just go ahead and sign Miller. Shaq more then likely is going to ring chase down in Miami with the rest of the goon squad down there.

Shaq is not going to Miami.... I have seen ppl saying he was turned down by Miami and also about him burning the bridge when he left. The fans don't want him back.... if you look at the MBs comments. lol

Shaq more then likely is going to ring chase down in Miami with the rest of the goon squad down there.

Goon squad is right. I'm already sick and tired of hearing about the freaking Heat, and the cockiness and arrogance coming out of South Beach these days is about intolerable. I used to think Dwayne Wade seemed like a pretty alright guy, but now I can't stand him since he's just coming across like a total d-bag all the time. The capper came when he was quoted the other day as saying that the threesome in Miami might be the greatest trio of players ever assembled on an NBA team, and it's just like, get over yourself dude, and just shut the hell up and play.

As far as the greatest trio ever assembled, uhmmm, no. Has he forgotten Magic, Worthy, and Kareem? Bird, McHale, and Parish? Michael, Pippen, and Rodman or Kukoc? I would take any of these trios over the set currently assembled in Miami. All won multiple championships without feeling the need to run their mouths about how great they were, and I highly doubt the trio in Miami can ever compare to the Showtime Lakers, or Bird's Celtics, or Michael and the Jordanaires. The Bulls may have been the finest defensive team ever, and Jordan, Pippen and Rodman were all All-World defenders and Pippen one of the greatest defensive players of all time. And Wade, "Bron, and Bosh on defense? That's a joke and an insult to even compare them to that Chicago Bulls trio.

I'm also getting very tired of the over-rating of Chris Bosh. I mean what is he but a skinny and easily pushed around 20 PPG scorer for a lousy Toronto team, and one who leaves MUCH to be desired on the defensive end of the spectrum. And Wade and LeBron are nothing are nothing more than average to slightly above average defenders.

I don't know. I just get really tired of all the arrogance coming out of Miami, and with all this premature cockiness going on, I just pray to the basketball gods they're setting themselves up for a giant fall.

Oh yeah, and Shaq can join them as far as I'm concerned. Cleveland was a better team without him last year, and I think we wouldn't really be missing out on a whole heck of a lot either. That could be money much better spent.

Brad Miller is basically a done deal to Miami. Shaq is our only option. Ugh.

If we are running a modified Princeton O like Teague says then Brad Miller makes too much sense, he only played in a similar system for Adelman all those years in SacTown and excelled. He passes great for his position and think about this, if we are running a more uptempo pace what makes more sense to the team

A big like Shaq trailing the play but ineffective unless he crashes into the paint for a post up, killing the transition

or

A big like Miller that can trail the play and be set up for a kick out to the perimeter where he can drain all sorts of jumpers?

Shaq is not going to Miami.... I have seen ppl saying he was turned down by Miami and also about him burning the bridge when he left. The fans don't want him back.... if you look at the MBs comments. lol

Those people are clueless. For the minimum they will kiss his behind to fill out that roster.

I am fully prepared to see the GREAT DJ AUGUSTINE as our key pickup in the front court. Hawks are so slow to react to anything it is pathetic. :computer8: :brick wall: :shake_puter:

That would be especially depressing considering that DJ is a 5'11" PG.

• Moderators

Shaq > Miller

Miller is a defensive liability and will do little to help with the top centers. I would much rather have a center who can give you 15-20 minutes but change the dynamic when he is on the floor.