• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Q & A with the Steve Belkin & Micheal Gearon Jr

Blunt91

I was over at Hawks.com and found they had posted the answers for the fans questions to the new owners.

Ask Steve and Michael Responses - Sep. 25, 2003

Q - Do you feel a need to make major changes to the franchise right away such as bringing in a big-name free agent player or even a front office person to win over the fans? -- Thanks, Paul

A - You're putting pressure on us right away, aren't you? Based on the free agents remaining, it doesn't appear as if we will be able to satisfy your request of a big-name free agent at this time, but we will aggressively seek to obtain the best athletes available in order to provide our fans with the most talented and competitive groups of players to reach our goal of winning an NBA championship.

Q - Hi Steve, I was just wondering are you guys going to fire Coach Stotts. If so, then who would replace him? -- Ricky in CA.

A - We have no intention of replacing Coach Stotts and we look forward to providing him and (Hawks GM) Billy Knight with the resources necessary to field a competitive team that'll make you excited once again.

Q - Is Dan Dickau going to be a part of the Hawks organization this season? -- Drew VanNess

A - While Dan struggled through his rookie season, we have been told that he is working hard in his quest to gain more playing time this year. From what we understand, he showed a lot of promise during summer league action, and we hope he has a bright future with the Hawks.

Q - Hey guys, not really a question, just want you to realize that the Hawks need to resign JT, otherwise we won't have a back court to speak of. Thanks! -- Tricia

A - Tricia, Jason is a very important member of this organization and we have every intention of resigning him. Don't worry, you will continue to see #31 on the court in a Hawks uniform for years to come.

Q - Hi! My name is Mike, I'm 14 and I'm a huge Hawks fan. I am so glad that you guys are here because of your energy and you feelings for the team. We need an owner that loves the Hawks, and you guys bring that to us. Thanks for jumping aboard and I hope to meet you soon! Go Hawks! -- Mgpamfilis@aol.com

A - Mike, we certainly love the interest from our fans, no matter their age, so thanks for your support of the Hawks!

Q - I was wondering since matching the signing of Jason Terry takes us near the luxury tax area, if you guys are willing to use the mid-level exception on a player like Stephen Jackson to help secure our SG/SF position, given that a move like this would incur the tax. -- Nick Curry

A - According to Billy Knight, Stephen is one of the players we've shown interest in this summer and unfortunately, we have not been able to reach a deal that's agreeable to both parties.

Q - What is Jason Terry's position on a return to the Hawks since the acquisition? If the team is unable to sign him, what will other free agent options be concerning the point guard, shooting guard and small forward positions? -- Thanks for your time, Rob Levin

A - You shouldn't worry about JT. We have every intention of resigning him. We had a great conversation with him and his agent a few days ago, and we are confident he will be the Hawks for a long time.

Q - Congratulations on your purchase of the Atlanta Hawks and Thrashers!!! I'm really excited to hear that the sale is almost complete and glad to hear that you all bought it instead of the other guy!!! So, can we plan on seeing and activity on signings or trades now that you all have arrived, I've been a Hawks fan since I was old enough to watch them. I wish you all the best of luck this upcoming season and as well in the future. Good Luck and I'm expecting great things out of you all. -- Alicia Harvey

A - You must remember, no matter how much we'd like to make a deal, you need another team to accomplish that. Billy Knight has worked extremely hard to improve the talent level on this team and the trade of Glenn Robinson will give us flexibility in the future. It may take some time to get the type of quality player we're looking for, but stick with us, we are committed to making this work.

Q - Hi Steve and Michael. As you know Atlanta is a beautiful place. We have not had any basketball excitement since Dominique Wilkins. We're just asking you guys to bring in some money players, players that people know and hear about in the league. People are not going to pay money to see mediocre players. I am a huge basketball fan of other teams. When I come to the game I like to cheer for the home team. Please bring in some great quality players. We have enough role players. -- Toweka Williams

A - We have the resources to make this work, but we will be fiscally responsible as well. We must make the right choice in obtaining the type of player we need in reaching our ultimate goal, and that's bringing a championship to the city of Atlanta.

Q - Thanks for purchasing the team. My question is...is there time to pick up some significant players and improve this year, or should we just realize that this year is a throwaway year and look towards next year? -- Thanks, Eddie Robbins from Cumming, GA

A - Don't look at things negatively at this point. We are looking for improvement in all facets of our organization as we get set for this season, and while we won't make any promises, we are not looking at the future right now. We want to compete every night and work hard 48 minutes each game as Coach Stotts begins his first full year as our coach.

Q - Will you make an attempt to reconnect with the history of this team that has seemingly been avoided over the past 13 years or so, and in the process, will Dominique Wilkins be given a more prominent role in the organization? Will we see more connections with some of the former great Atlanta Hawks players such as Lou Hudson and Tree Rollins? -- Thanks, Keith Box

A - We are evaluating Dominique's role with the Hawks and it is our hope that he will serve an very important role for us as we go forward. Dominique's contributions to the franchise are well known, and we agree with many Hawks fans who feel he should have been selected to the list of 50 Greatest Players several years ago, and we would like to utilize his talents as best we can. Lou Hudson and Tree Rollins do not live in the local area, but whenever we have the opportunity to reunite the present with the past, we have every intention of doing so.

Q - Hi, Mr. Belkin and Mr. Gearon, congratulations on your new teams, now I would like to know what position do you guys plan to address before training camp starts for the Hawks. We are still weak at small forward since Glenn Robinson was traded away, I think a veteran like Jimmy Jackson could help this team a lot. He gained a reputation of being a trouble maker in the locker room but I think that under the right circumstances he wouldn't be a distraction. He really provided a boost for the Kings last year and he could be a leader and a enforcer on this team. I would also like to say we could also use some more depth at the center position. Ratliff is good but isn't really a true center and Mohammed is decent but has a steel pin in his foot. How do you guys plan on addressing these needs. -- Jessie Blunt

A - Billy Knight, Chris Grant and our basketball staff are putting the pieces on the training camp roster at this time and while we understand the difficulties we face right now, we expect to field a very competitive team as we prepare for the upcoming season. While you state Theo (Ratliff) is good, but isn't really a true center, we hope you are aware of the fact that he led the NBA in blocked shots a year ago and he is a former league Defensive Player of the Year. If you look across the league, there aren't enough quality centers available, but we feel we have an outstanding talent in Theo. Nazr (Mohammed) filled in admirably for him in the year and a half of action he missed, and if he is free from the injuries that plagued him a season ago, we believe we are strong at that position.

Q - Hi guys, I'm a long time Hawks fan and I can't thank you enough for buying the Hawks! Did not want to see that other guy own the team. I jumped for joy when you pulled off the deal. I would like to know if you guys are going to resign DerMarr Johnson? DerMarr deserves to be Hawk and we as fans deserve to see what our former 6 round pick can do. Again, thanks so very much for the rescue! -- Saystar1@aol.com

A - Thanks for the very kind words and we are looking forward to accomplishing a great deal of success with the Hawks and we hope that you are a part of it. Any decision on DerMarr's comeback will be evaluated by the basketball operations staff. They have our blessing to pursue the best talent available and if he is a player they (GM and coaches) would like to have on the roster, they have our complete support.

Q - Steve & Michael: The organization seems to have the right idea to draw fans to the arena ... for Thrashers games. Every game there's a 2 tickets for $10 each special for those w/ a student ID, seating in the 300 level. Any thoughts on doing a similar offer for Hawks games? As is, there's only one "College Night" per year. Surely the 300 section would be rocking for Hawks games with more promotions like the one I mentioned. In any case, congratulations on the sale! We, the hardcore Hawks fans, salute you. (There are a few of us.) Visit hawksquawk.net to see one of the more vibrant -- sometimes testy -- Hawks forums there is. -- Yours, Zachary Smith

A - Zachary, if you didn't already know, every NBA team provides 1,000 $10 seats for each and every game and we certainly do the same. When single game tickets go on sale on October 4, you will have the opportunity to purchase those seats for every game except for the last six games of the seven-game, Magnificent Seven package we've put together. We certainly hope that you will take advantage of this offer and we appreciate your support.

• Premium Member

To me it sounds like Stephen Jackson won't be a Hawk...

Good.

I like these guys. They are very open with their discussion.

They gave answers that had meaning.

I don't think DJ will be picked up.

However, it was nice seeing Saystar ask a question.

Old heads might remember him.

The other thing is that I think aside from Cowens, we might see Tree Rollins and Lou Hudson as assistants. Rollins would be pretty good. he has a gang of experience with Orlando, Washington, and some other teams.

I not familiar with Hudson. Maybe he'd be a part of the organization. Can you see Nique as GM? I remember clearly a few years ago, Babcock laughed at the idea that Nique could be the GM.... Well Now....

It doesn't sound like Billy Knight is just some stooge

sitting in the chair in the fact that he seems to have

the power to do pretty anything he wants. I'm glad

they aren't going to overpay for guys that aren't that

good...such as a Stephen Jackson.

I'm still here and read the board everyday as usual. I just hadn't logged in since I upgraded my computer system or posted any comments.

Man you know I had such a bad taste for Lon as a coach that the season got unbearable, and even after Stotts took over, I still couldn't watch this team. I never thought I would get to that point as a Hawk fan but didn't like watching anymore so didn't watch the games. I still love the Hawks and it was through this board that I found out about the Q&A session with Steven. It was also a result of some on the board, including myself, that I asked the question about DJ.

Man I was so stoked when they bought the team from under McFraud (ooops McDavid) that I had to celebrate. Now if we can just see what that squad of DJ, JT, and Dion can do I will be happy with the season!

In reply to:

Q - Will you make an attempt to reconnect with the history of this team that has seemingly been avoided over the past 13 years or so, and in the process, will Dominique Wilkins be given a more prominent role in the organization? Will we see more connections with some of the former great Atlanta Hawks players such as Lou Hudson and Tree Rollins? -- Thanks, Keith Box

A - We are evaluating Dominique's role with the Hawks and it is our hope that he will serve an very important role for us as we go forward. Dominique's contributions to the franchise are well known, and we agree with many Hawks fans who feel he should have been selected to the list of 50 Greatest Players several years ago, and we would like to utilize his talents as best we can. Lou Hudson and Tree Rollins do not live in the local area, but whenever we have the opportunity to reunite the present with the past, we have every intention of doing so.