• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Local football writer behind the Hawks...

macdaddy

• Moderators

Bradley oy.

I"m a native Atlantan and a dedicated Atlanta sports fan. I hate when people say Atlanta is a bad sports town because the truth is that Atlanta has great fans and there are reasons attendance isn't great. But I will say that Atlanta is pathetic when it comes to the NBA. Sure we crashed and burned last year in the playoffs but its still a damn good team.

So the thought is that ASG doesn't know what they are doing. I'll buy into the fact that they are financially strapped but the team has had a steady upward climb for 5 years now. How many nba teams can claim that?

The fan posts on this article are the best. Screaming that LD doesn't care about defense and we will be a terrible defensive team (as if we were good before), then clamoring for a trade for Melo. You want to see some bad defense?

Anyway, enjoy the article. Hopefully some folks can get over not hiring Phil Jackson and not signing Lebron and Chris Paul long enough to watch a game.

• Like 1

The issue is that the Hawks didn't appear to do much to correct the problems from last year's playoff meltdown. It is very hard to overcome that sort of crash and burn, regardless of the city (except maybe NYC- but even there bad teams have low attendance).

I have to disagree with Sund's assesment that the Hawks are elite. Elite teams get to the Conference finals consistantly. Elite is consistant final 4, not awsome 8. Simply, the Hawks are a good but flawed team. They lack what is needed to win in today's NBA:

• Good point play
  • Big men who can shoot
  • A guy that can take over scoring late in games

If the Hawks can address even one of those problems, then they will be better. For me, they should seriously consider doing what it takes (trading a "core player") to get a PG. Point won't be a panecea for all that is wrong, but it will be a huge step in the right direction.

• Like 1

The issue is that the Hawks didn't appear to do much to correct the problems from last year's playoff meltdown. It is very hard to overcome that sort of crash and burn, regardless of the city (except maybe NYC- but even there bad teams have low attendance).

I have to disagree with Sund's assesment that the Hawks are elite. Elite teams get to the Conference finals consistantly. Elite is consistant final 4, not awsome 8. Simply, the Hawks are a good but flawed team. They lack what is needed to win in today's NBA:

• Good point play
  • Big men who can shoot
  • A guy that can take over scoring late in games

If the Hawks can address even one of those problems, then they will be better. For me, they should seriously consider doing what it takes (trading a "core player") to get a PG. Point won't be a panecea for all that is wrong, but it will be a huge step in the right direction.

Your point is a bullseye on the mark.

All I wanted to see was an attempt to do SOMETHING during the offseason after embarrassing themselves and the entire fanbase in the playoffs. And I'm pretty sure that I wasn't alone. By bringing back virtually the same squad who couldn't stay within 20 points of Orlando last year and hiring Woody's lieutenant to run the show, it gives fans the impression that the Notorious A.S.G. are just content to host a few extra games in May (the first round) and cash in on those escrow payments given to teams who stay under the luxury tax. That's the major bone of contention in this town concerning the Hawks and until it's addressed, that perception will not change.

Elite teams don't get blown out by 25 a game in the playoffs; 6th-8th seeds do....