• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Acie Ya Later?

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

http://blogs.commercialappeal.com/the_memphis_edge/2010/11/acie-laws-days-with-the-grizzlies-be-numbered.html

Acie Law's days with the Grizzlies could be numbered

Barring a change in plans, the Grizzlies are expected to soon hold a workout with free-agent guards Patrick Beverley and Garrett Temple.

This could signal a roster change considering Law is on a non-guaranteed deal that allows the Griz to waive him Dec. 8 without any future obligations. Normally, teams must guarantee contracts in January. But Law accepted an early date for the opportunity to be the reliable backup behind Mike Conley, and he hasn't performed well.

Rookie Greivis Vasquez has supplanted Law (in his fourth-year) as the backup point guard...

Stay tuned...

~lw3

Hawks -> Warriors -> Bobcats -> Bulls -> Grizzlies -> now where? What a joke of a player, I cannot believe we had posters legitimately talk about how Acie would be the point guard of the future and that Woodson was doing a horrible job not playing him. Well I guess 4 other teams have also done a horrible job of not playing him.

• Admin

Hawks -> Warriors -> Bobcats -> Bulls -> Grizzlies -> now where? What a joke of a player, I cannot believe we had posters legitimately talk about how Acie would be the point guard of the future and that Woodson was doing a horrible job not playing him. Well I guess 4 other teams have also done a horrible job of not playing him.

I think his NBA career is basiclly over. Head overseas young man

• Moderators

My position with Acie was always that he should get the chance to sink or swim so we know what we have. If the guy stinks, then we need to move on to someone else as our bench PG and PG of the future because Bibby won't be a viable starter for many more years.

If Woodson knows he has a lemon on his hands, good for him -- then the issue is really with the GM. There is no point in playing him if he is just worthless but you better get your PG of the future in soon or we aren't going to have one to step in when Bibby gets injured or his performance suffers pas the point where he is a contributing starter.

We have no alternatives on our roster so we better either develop Law or get planning for the future.

I feel the same way about Teague now except that time has now just about completely run out.

My position with Acie was always that he should get the chance to sink or swim so we know what we have. If the guy stinks, then we need to move on to someone else as our bench PG and PG of the future because Bibby won't be a viable starter for many more years.

If Woodson knows he has a lemon on his hands, good for him -- then the issue is really with the GM. There is no point in playing him if he is just worthless but you better get your PG of the future in soon or we aren't going to have one to step in when Bibby gets injured or his performance suffers pas the point where he is a contributing starter.

I think Woodson knew, but as fans I see where you could say we didn't know. Our only observations are from NBA games. One might argue that Acie had too small of a sample size to conclude anything, I think thats a weak argument given the amount of minutes he played but I can imagine someone making that. On the other hand, Woodson saw Acie in practice and still didn't play him. Woodson may have been a dummy, but I think given so many other teams passed on Acie this is not an area where Woodson was being a bad talent evaluator or coach.

• Moderators

I think Woodson knew, but as fans I see where you could say we didn't know. Our only observations are from NBA games. One might argue that Acie had too small of a sample size to conclude anything, I think thats a weak argument given the amount of minutes he played but I can imagine someone making that. On the other hand, Woodson saw Acie in practice and still didn't play him. Woodson may have been a dummy, but I think given so many other teams passed on Acie this is not an area where Woodson was being a bad talent evaluator or coach.

Time has clearly proven him right on Acie and proven BK wrong both for selecting him and for not getting us a young PG who was worth including in our future at some point in his tenure. It is a shame.

My problem was that we weren't moving on from Law (i.e., getting someone who could fill in for Bibby and/or replace him) but we weren't playing Law either. After the first season, you saw Woodson making statements like:

"Acie Law was huge," said Woodson. "Unfortunately for him, he had some injuries along the way that made his rookie year somewhat of a rollercoaster."

That doesn't add up to me. Either you are confident enough in the guy to develop him or you put some contingency planning in motion. If the guy is really the future, like everyone kept saying publicly, then you have to give him a chance to sink or swim.

If he isn't the future and isn't even worth giving consistent minutes, then say whatever you like but take action to address the position for the future.