• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

my updated thoughts on the Hawks and Joe Johnson

gsuteke

The question whether the Hawks are better without Joe in these threads i'm seeing is so disengenious.

Yeah Joe sucked this year but he was hurt. This coming from the guy who has challenged whether the Joe acquisition was a smart move from day 1.

search Joe Johnson is an overrated jump shooter along with what has the joe johnson trade netted us?

i took a beating over those opinions at the time but i stand by them. However I look at Orlando's roster and i think to myself "what do they have outside of Howard that we don't have?"

the answer is an extra !0 million dollar a year player. They must be 30 million over the Hawks payroll after matching Gortat and extending JJ Reddick.

We're all wondering what we can get for Jamal Crawford's expiring deal instead of thinking of him as an extra contract on top of the luxury.

Joe Johnson is not worth his contract. It's a no brainer. However that's what the Hawks have to pay considering the big picture. Sometimes you do what you have to do in a business situation.

Adding another high paid player like Lamar Odum or Chauncee Billups is the answer. The question is how do you do it?

You can argue which player to add till you're blue in the face but the bottom line is we have to match equity to expect similiar results.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

The question whether the Hawks are better without Joe in these threads i'm seeing is so disengenious.

Yeah Joe sucked this year but he was hurt. This coming from the guy who has challenged whether the Joe acquisition was a smart move from day 1.

search Joe Johnson is an overrated jump shooter along with what has the joe johnson trade netted us?

i took a beating over those opinions at the time but i stand by them. However I look at Orlando's roster and i think to myself "what do they have outside of Howard that we don't have?"

the answer is an extra !0 million dollar a year player. They must be 30 million over the Hawks payroll after matching Gortat and extending JJ Reddick.

We're all wondering what we can get for Jamal Crawford's expiring deal instead of thinking of him as an extra contract on top of the luxury.

Joe Johnson is not worth his contract. It's a no brainer. However that's what the Hawks have to pay considering the big picture. Sometimes you do what you have to do in a business situation.

Adding another high paid player like Lamar Odum or Chauncee Billups is the answer. The question is how do you do it?

You can argue which player to add till you're blue in the face but the bottom line is we have to match equity to expect similiar results.

Exactly.

I'm hopeful. If we can develop the other guys while Joe is gone, when he comes back, I think we will be one of the deepest teams in the league. My only issue is that Jefferson Teague ain't working out. I joke, I kid, i do all that, but I think given our situation, we should find a way to keep Craw and try toget a guy like Watson in here on top of that.

Jamal Crawford WILL be an extra contract on top of the luxury AFTER this season. That is why we all believe he is gone since the ASG have yet to prove they are luxury tax payers......for good reason considering the lack of supports and lack of ticket sales from Atlantans.

So basically, I need some clarity.

Are you saying add another $10 mill a year player without giving up anything but crap (similar to the Crawford and Bibby trades) or get another $10 mill player by giving up Crawford who is a $10 mill player himself ?

The question is how to acquire a player that the ASG would think makes it worth it to pay the luxury tax. I have little doubt they would pay the tax for Carmelo but I have seen no indication he would sign here. (though he would own this town... if you were ballsy enough to trade for him and the hawks had a nice playoff run you might be able to convince him to stay) Who else? I don't think they woudl for Billups. I don't think they will for Crawford.