• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Uggla to Get 5 Years 60M

AHF

• Moderators

Dan Uggla is expected to sign a five-year extension with the Atlanta Braves soon, tweets Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe, which will keep the slugger in the lineup with Jason Heyward for years to come.

Uggla sought a similar deal with the Marlins before Florida felt forced to deal him, and will apparently man second base in Atlanta until the cows come home.

The 30-year-old made $7.8 million last seasons and could have exceeded $10 million via arbitration this winter.

Carroll Rogers of the Atlanta JC reports the two sides had talked the past two days and that the guaranteed fifth year seemed to be the last hurdle.

We have to wonder, however, if Uggla's new deal will come back to haunt the Braves a bit. They aren't considered big spenders and Uggla, who will be 31 in March, will hit 35 and 36 years of age in the final two seasons of his new pact. Middle infielders, especially those built like corner infielders like Uggla, tend to hit tough time in their mid-30s. Just ask Derek Jeter, who is coming off the worst seasons of his career.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/features/rumors/_/date/20101217#8020

I'm good with the longer-term deal. This is what power hitters cost. Its a better deal than Werth's contract and probably less than what Uggla would get on the open market. In the current, post-steriod era, 30 HR guys are going be harder and harder to find. Ugs may need to move to LF before the contract is over though.

After the 1 and dones and bargain shopping Braves fans have endured for years its nice that the team commits some long term money. All deals are a year too long but I will be thrilled to have a guy with his proven consistency with the bat.

The Braves have some payroll relief coming. KK ($7 mill) has 1 year, McClouth ($7 mill) has 1 year left, Lowe ($15 mill per) has 2 years, and Chipper ($15 mill per) has 2 more years.

There are also small contracts falling off the books after 2011 like A. Gonzalez $2.5 mill, Hinski $1.5 mill, etc.

Hudson contract can be bought out in 2 more years in case he declines. The final year ($9 mill) can be bought out for $1 mill.

The Braves luckily have some salary flexibility Especially in 2 more years

Some of that will be used to resign guys like Hanson and Heyward.

Edited by coachx

RH power hitters are exceedingly rare these days. Once you allocate 1B to Freddie Freeman, you have a very tough time finding a place to put a RH power bat. There were two FA RH power hitters available this offseason, and one (Werth) got twice as much money. The other (Konerko) hasn't signed yet, but he will likely get a similar contract, and we couldn't put him anywhere anyway with Freeman promised 1B. This has to be seen as a good deal on Uggla.

• 2 weeks later...

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-braves-blog/2011/01/04/uggla-braves-agree-to-five-year-62-million-extension/

Dan Uggla and the Braves agreed to a five-year, $62 million extension that will give him the highest average salary ever for a second baseman and keep him under contract through 2015, three sources close to negotiations said.

The sides agreed to terms Tuesday night on the deal, which covers Uggla’s final year of arbitration in 2011 and what would have been his first four years of free agency. It’s expected to be announced Thursday, after he passes a physical.

Uggla averaged nearly 31 home runs and 93 RBIs in five seasons with the Marlins, including career-highs of 33 homers and 105 RBIs in 2010 to win the Silver Slugger award as best-hitting second baseman in the National League.

He also set personal bests in average (.287), on-base percentage (.369) and on-base-plus-slugging percentage (.877) in 2010, with a .508 slugging percentage that was six points off his best. His statistics would have led the 2010 Braves in homers, RBIs, slugging and OPS.

When I first heard 5 year extension I assumed the extension would begin in 2012.

The Braves worked it where it starts immediately in 2011. That is great news.......meaning Uggla will turn 35 right before spring training of his last season in this deal. ( That just sounds alot better then 36).

Edited by coachx

Excellent deal for the Braves. Uggla would have gotten 2-4 mil more a year on the open market.

I'm excited to see what Ugs will do for the lineup. Looks like he'll hit mostly behind McCann and in front of Jason. McCann is going to have a great season with that level of protection behind him.

Of course if Chipper is out, then the lineup really changes.

I'd still like to see the Braves make a move for a better CF, and I think they will.