Falcons Superbowl?

DJlaysitup

A friend of mine has been telling me that he seriously doubts that we can beat the Saints one week and then the Eagles the next week to get to the superbowl...I didn't argue with him that much because that indeed is a tough row to hoe - even at home. However, things have just changed drastically in that equasion. Seattle just beat the Saints.

Now I'm sure Seattle will give us their best next week - but I really can't see us losing to them. (fingers crossed)

So we beat Seattle and we are in the NFC Championship game. Later today the GB Packers will play the Eagles in Philly. Whoever wins has to go to Chicago and play the Bears. Odds are IMO it will be us against the Bears at our place to go to the Superbowl.

Actually, the team that worries me is the Packers.

Not so fast. We, as the #1 seed, will face the lowest seed in the divisional round. Currently, the lowest seed left standing is the GB Packers who are the #6 seed. If they beat the Eagles in Philly today, they will be traveling to the dome to play our Falcons. This is the way I understand the matchups to play out. I think we'd trounce Seattle at home in a somewhat high scoring game (say 31-20). They haven't really stopped anyone all year, including yesterday. They can score, but against our D and clock-control offense, I don't think they can pull the same trick they did against NO at home. GB played us to a tie in the regular season, so I'm really hoping Philly takes care of business at home. If we do draw Seattle, I hope for the Bears in the NFC title game, just like you. I think we match up much better against that team than the Eagles, and their Soldier Field advantage (which I expect to get them by Philly) won't help em in the dome.

Edited by CBAreject

So let me get this straight. Who do the Falcons play if Philly beats Green Bay?...the Seahawks or Philly? If it's the Seahawks, I REALLY hope Philly beats Green Bay because I don't think Green Bay would have as bad a game running the ball as they had against us earlier and they would be very tough to beat. But Seattle? Bring them on. I give them credit for beating the Saints but I think that was a fluke and a result of NO not having their running backs.

• Moderators

I think the Eagles will have a harder time taking out the Packers (at home) and the Bears (on the road) than a rested Falcons team playing the Packers and Bears at the Dome. I'd still much rather enjoy round 1 versus the "'Hawks."

(Aside: can't stand that, at least 80% of the time on Twitter, "#hawks" refers to the Chicago hockey team or the Seattle football team, or U. of Iowa sports teams)

~lw3

Not so fast. We, as the #1 seed, will face the lowest seed in the divisional round. Currently, the lowest seed left standing is the GB Packers who are the #6 seed. If they beat the Eagles in Philly today, they will be traveling to the dome to play our Falcons. This is the way I understand the matchups to play out...

Thanks for the info CBAr...I saw on USAToday that ther was a small chance that we would not play the winner of Saints/Seattle but I really didn't understand it - I figured that Seattle HAD to be the lower seed due to their record...but I guess the "winning their division" thing is the trump card (silly - but those are the current rules). :kickcan:

• Moderators

Thanks for the info CBAr...I saw on USAToday that ther was a small chance that we would not play the winner of Saints/Seattle but I really didn't understand it - I figured that Seattle HAD to be the lower seed due to their record...but I guess the "winning their division" thing is the trump card (silly - but those are the current rules). :kickcan:

Yes, the division titles sort out the 1-4 while the top two non-division-winners get 5 & 6. And the ordering of who goes where in the next round is based on seeding rather than record. The NFL might look at that in again in the future, especially if 8-8's and 7-9's become the norm for 4-seeds.

~lw3

Yes, the division titles sort out the 1-4 while the top two non-division-winners get 5 & 6. And the ordering of who goes where in the next round is based on seeding rather than record. The NFL might look at that in again in the future, especially if 8-8's and 7-9's become the norm for 4-seeds.

~lw3

I have full confidence that Sam Bradford will return the Rams to 9-7 glory as early as next year :)

~lw3

Well Pooooop...now we have to play the Packers! Not saying we can't beat em again but we earned the right to play Seattle IMO.