• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Desert Island Draft - Sign Up and Discussion Thread

Nicholasp27

I'd like to run a non-sports draft here in the lounge. Basically, we'd have maybe 10 rounds and each person drafts something they'd take with them to a desert island and then at the end of the draft, all hawksquawkers vote on their favorite islands and we declare a winner. Like a sports draft, each item can only be drafted by one person.

If you want to play, sign up by stating as much in this thread.

We'd probably do something along the lines of each person has to draft 1 item each from a list of 10 categories, example:

1 drink (not water)

1 movie

1 non-fiction book

1 video game (not online capable)

1 tv channel you can watch

1 album of music

1 food you have unlimited supply of

etc

Trading picks are fine (eg I'll trade you swapping 4th round picks in exchange for swapping 5th and 7th round picks)

Edited by Nicholasp27

Drink= Skullsplitter beer

Movie= LoTR: Return of the King or Fellowship (can't decide)

Book= Rappaport, R.A. (1999) Ritual and Religion in the Making of Humanity. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. Amazing book. I've read it 3 times and I'm still figuring out what Rappaport is really getting at.

Game= Dragon Age

TV= Military Channel

Album= Tool: Lateralus

Food= Bison steak

Drink= Skullsplitter beer

Movie= LoTR: Return of the King or Fellowship (can't decide)

Book= Rappaport, R.A. (1999) Ritual and Religion in the Making of Humanity. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. Amazing book. I've read it 3 times and I'm still figuring out what Rappaport is really getting at.

Game= Dragon Age

TV= Military Channel

Album= Tool: Lateralus

Food= Bison steak

I'll take:

Drink: Coors Banquet beer (since it's available in mass quantities and I intend to live a long time).

Movie: "Oh Brother where art Thou" cause I always laugh at the line "we thought you were a toad".

Book: "Tom Sawyer" (brings back memories of my youth)

Game: Electronic football....bzzzzzzzzzzz...from the 1970s....set up your players and your strategy and the turn it on - total chaos! :biggrin:

TV: History Channel - especially with "Pawn Stars".

Album: ELP..."Brain Salad Surgery".

Food: Salmon (preferably with asparagus and a small baked potato).

• Moderators

Unless I misunderstand, people are not supposed to be making their choices in this thread - just signing up to participate in a future draft where people will pick things in order so that if DJ wants to pick Brain Salad Surgery as his album and I do, only the guy who picks it first gets it on his list. (By the way - interesting and unexpected choice there. ELP is not my favorite progressive rock band but Brain Salad Surgery is an excellent album for sure!)

• 3 weeks later...

not to be a jack *ss, but do you mean deserted island? a desert island is a great oxymoron though.

connotation vs denotation

the phrase is typically desert island...

desert is an adjective here and as an adjective it can mean "desolate and sparsely occupied or unoccupied".

from a dictionary: "A desert island is a small tropical island, where nobody lives or an undiscovered island."

also, it wouldn't be an oxymoron either...a desert is simply a place that gets less than 10" of rainfall a year...persian gulf islands are likely deserts...siberia is a desert and there are probably islands off the coast of russia and canada that are deserts, etc

Edited by Nicholasp27

Good point Nicholas....

""desolate and sparsely occupied or unoccupied"

So in reality, temperature has little to do with the term desert. A true desert can be a hot and humid island...a hot and dry piece of sand...or a cold and barren piece of tundra. :kickcan:

Edited by DJlaysitup