• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What the hell is wrong with Josh

MoBetta

Again, untrue. Going into the draft that year, Josh was projected to go as high as 5th overall and fell due to questions about his work ethic to the Hawks at 17. Originally, the Hawks were going to take him 6th but after reports surfaced about his work ethic he dropped in the mocks to as low as 20. Never did he fall out of the mock draft's top 20 and with guaranteed big money on the table, went pro instead of going to Indiana.

See: http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/Draft/2004mock.htm

For an example. This one had him going 12 to Seattle.

Most Mocks that year had the Hawks taking Luol Deng 6th. The 2004 draft was extremely strong and any variance from perfect weighed heavily that year. For a refresher, take a look at the players that went in 2004.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_NBA_Draft

Duhon and Varejeo were 2nd rounders. Much of that first round are solid NBA'ers today. Which is rare.

I'm not arguing what spot he was going to go in the draft. I'm simply stating i have insider info from boosters and family up at IU that said he wasn't going to be able to attend the school because of grades and lack of IQ.

Source: http://www.nba.com/playerfile/josh_smith/bio.html

Have another drink of Haterade? I'm guessing if he had the top GPA on a team like Oak Hill, he can read a little.

To clarify your Josh can't read comment, the proper start of your sentence should have been, "I mean, we're down". As long as we're calling someone iliterate, I thought you might appreciate the grammar lesson.

Wow you really are nieve huh? I'm sure he earned all those grades and didn't have others doing them for him. that happens everywhere at every school. Fact is Smoove has a low IQ and is simply dumb. It is what it is. Defend him all you want. I'm a season ticket holder and have seen enough of this guy since he came here to know.

Sorry I'm typing on a blog for petes sake. Didn't know grammar was so important on message boards.

As a hard and fast rule, I try to steer clear of anyone eager to share insider information about somebody else's IQ/SAT scores/grades. Adds about fifteen years to your life, I hear.

~lw3

I didn't say I got his scores. I simply said I heard from people in the know up there that said he wasn't the brightest tool in the shed. And after watching him play for the last 6+ yrs. I see what they mean.

...Wow you really are nieve huh? I'm sure he earned all those grades and didn't have others doing them for him. that happens everywhere at every school. Fact is Smoove has a low IQ and is simply dumb. It is what it is. Defend him all you want. I'm a season ticket holder and have seen enough of this guy since he came here to know.

By the way gutz...it's naive (pronounced nah-eev).

Let's get realistic...do you think baseball players are hired by Lockheed-Martin after their stint in the majors to work on new formulas for solid rocket boosters? Do football players transition to sub-atomic particle research once they lose a step?

What's a low IQ and how would you know?

Besides...I'll take a hard working guy over a brainiac any day in normal employment...as long as the employment isn't - like - brain surgery - which the NBA is not. :kickcan:

By the way gutz...it's naive (pronounced nah-eev).

Let's get realistic...do you think baseball players are hired by Lockheed-Martin after their stint in the majors to work on new formulas for solid rocket boosters? Do football players transition to sub-atomic particle research once they lose a step?

What's a low IQ and how would you know?

Besides...I'll take a hard working guy over a brainiac any day in normal employment...as long as the employment isn't - like - brain surgery - which the NBA is not. :kickcan:

Fact is Smoove is dumb on the basketball court and isn't thai bright off the court from what i've seen. Anyone who disagrees is fooling themselves. I'm not saying the guy needs to be a brain surgeon. How about play to your strengths? He just doesn't get it! Smoove does the same s*** over and over and NEVER learns. Just keep shooting them jumpers smoove at the WORST times of the games when you are a horrible jump shooter. He is just dumb man. I'm sick of him. Trade him.

Edited by gutz

I didn't say I got his scores. I simply said I heard from people in the know up there that said he wasn't the brightest tool in the shed. And after watching him play for the last 6+ yrs. I see what they mean.

OK - so you have watched Smoove's development over the last 6 years or so just like I have. That means you have watched him go from a raw kid who couldn't score at all unless it was a dunk (couldn't make a layup in the nba to save his life)...to where he is now.

Do I think Smoove is all that he can be? no. Have I watched him develop his game via off season work every year ? yes. Do I think he will develop into an all around player who can be trusted to do most everything right before he loses his hops? I dunno...

But I know he tries.

OK - so you have watched Smoove's development over the last 6 years or so just like I have. That means you have watched him go from a raw kid who couldn't score at all unless it was a dunk (couldn't make a layup in the nba to save his life)...to where he is now.

Do I think Smoove is all that he can be? no. Have I watched him develop his game via off season work every year ? yes. Do I think he will develop into an all around player who can be trusted to do most everything right before he loses his hops? I dunno...

But I know he tries.

Uh...last time I checked he is getting paid 10mil + a year so I expect him to TRY! Give me a break man. This guy is a paid professional who has now been in the NBA for 6 yrs and is still one of the most immature players in the league.

Edited by gutz

I think part of the key to all the Smoove bashing is the fact that he has become a far better player than many picked before him (other folks' favorites). He has worked his way up.

In 2004 our #6 pick was Chillz. After Chillz (who had a Teague-like perimeter shot) players like Luol Deng, Andre Iguodala, Beidrins, and Al Jefferson were picked. Then we took a raw local kid with major hops with our second pick in the first round - Smoove at #17....basically a shot in the dark.

Of course that was followed up by the 2005 draft - the "infamous" draft....we needed a PG.

#1 - Andrew Bogut - C

#2 - Marvin Williams (another SF)

#3 - Deron - PG

#4 - Chris Paul - PG

#5 - Raymond Felton - PG

So now Smoove (a guy who can occasionally take over games while he is only 6-8...a borderline allstar as a #17 pick) is the villiian.....Hmmmmmm :kickcan:

Edited by DJlaysitup

• Moderators

As I said, I try to stay clear of "people in the know up there" talking about people "down here." Works wonders!

~lw3

As I said, I try to stay clear of "people in the know up there" talking about people "down here." Works wonders!

~lw3

Well i'm from Indiana and Smoove was planning on going to IU but went pro instead... so 'those up there' do know about what happened in regards to him possibly going to IU even if he is from 'down here'. LOL

Edited by gutz

I'm not arguing what spot he was going to go in the draft. I'm simply stating i have insider info from boosters and family up at IU that said he wasn't going to be able to attend the school because of grades and lack of IQ.

Wow you really are nieve huh? I'm sure he earned all those grades and didn't have others doing them for him. that happens everywhere at every school. Fact is Smoove has a low IQ and is simply dumb. It is what it is. Defend him all you want. I'm a season ticket holder and have seen enough of this guy since he came here to know.

Sorry I'm typing on a blog for petes sake. Didn't know grammar was so important on message boards.

Again, untrue. Oak Hill is a religious academy/prep school. Class sizes are 8-10 students at a time. Parents that send their kids to Oak Hill expect their children to go to college. Kids who fall to a "C" average are put on probation and given assistance. If he were getting "grades help", they would give him just enough to pass, not enough to be tops on the roster.

Fact: Josh was recruited by UGA, GT and numerous other schools. GT was one of the schools still in the running when Josh chose Indiana. You don't consider Tech if you can't make grades. I've been looking for his SAT/ACT scores online and haven't been able to find them (anyone that can let me know).