• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why Kirk Hinrich is a great pickup for the ATL Hawks! even better than Steve Nash!

JTB

You trade not because someone is your favorite player but to improve the team. Our team clearly lacked perimeter defense as well as another defensive inside presence. We got rid of a duplicate JC2 which might make Jamal feel like he has a home to stay and play like it. We got rid of our weakest defensive presence(Bibby) and gained a pretty good defender and floor general(Capt. Kirk). Damien is more defensive minded than Mo and needs more playing time. Hilton believe it or not is a big man who can at least block shots and hopefully inspire Josh & comp. to get back aggressive on defense. Will our first round draft pick really be worth that much and do we need to add more youth at this point in time if they can't jump straight out of the gate?

Most realize by now that the Hawks are a little too non chalant at times. Bibby our past floor general was one to lighten the bunch up and keep them joking and having fun. There is nothing wrong with fun but our Hawks team needs to get serious and grow up. Drew is trying to enforce that but that does not compare to having a general on the floor who can actually put it to action. Let's see if Kirk's work ethic and serious approach to the game can help revive our team. Let's see if our team can help resurrect Hilton Armstrong's career(I know we heard that before see Randolph Morris). We desperately needed a big man that can be a tough inside presence and aid our all star bigs on defense. Hilton may or may not be a fit but it is definitely worth the risk.

All in all we got two pieces that we desperately needed and though they may not have been the perfect candidate they fit the bill. We also gained by getting rid of one of our biggest weaknesses so it should be harder for scouts to key in on us. We created bonuses for ourselves by forcing more playing time for Teague (since Jamal and Hinrich can be used as combo guards). Who knows we might find a use/need for our forgotten draft pick (Pape Sy).

The only real negative I can see to this trade is a chemistry factor because our players grew together as a family. Hopefully this works in our favor and helps us grow up and understand that this is a business and should be handled that way on the court.

damn really good points +1000 :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I still can't see a real positive. This is a lateral move with the potential to be downhill or backwards.

The only thing going backwards / down hill in that trade was Mike Bibby.

He would have been starting for any onther team in the league.

You see how bad Bibby looked this year.......just wait to hill rolls downhill even more next season.

AH might be the better one to speak on this but I believe the breakout was pick 27 where you start to see a cap benefit to take a vet minimum player over a rookie for Luxury Tax threshold teams.

Last year, Jordon Crawford at 27 was slotted at just over 1 million. The number 22 pick 1.254 million.

By contrast, Delonte West is making 500K

Excellent point !

Damien Wilkens is making $500 K and he had been getting more minutes then Jordan Crawford and Jeff Teage combined as of late. JC2 has not even been dressing out / active for games.

(Capt. Kirk).

I love that nickname !

Edited by coachx

Here we go again! Hawks management making yet another bad decision. I have seen Hinrich at Chicago and after he was traded from there and he was not the same player after the trade. I consider this trade not an upgrade at all. We gave up on a young shooter, and a veteran guard and a 1st round pick for another aging veteran? Where is the upgrade? This was supposed to take us to the next level????

Hinrich (2010-2011 stats)

PPG 11.1

RPG 2.7

APG 4.4

SPG 1.2

BPG 0.2

FG% 0.452

FT% 0.876

3P% 0.384

MPG 30.6

Bibby (2010-2011 stats)

PPG 9.4

RPG 2.6

APG 3.6

SPG 0.7

BPG 0.1

FG% 0.435

FT% 0.630

3P% 0.441

MPG 29.9

I am hoping beyond hope that we are not done dealing, otherwise I look forward to yet another early exit from the playoffs for this "core" team.

You know what your numbers don't show....Hinrich's Defense at the PG spot.........which is our BIGGEST weakness. That alone makes the trade more than a lateral move....oh and no more MO.

Edited by jaybird

Some ppl in the league says he's the best on ball defender at his position. He's known for being the best defender against Wade. I believe someone called him once "The wade stopper".

What he does yo can't recall it on a stat sheet. You have to see it. He is what Varejao is for the PF/C's. Really underrated.

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2011/02/24/hawks-still-dont-get-the-point/?ls=iref:nbahpt1

They talk about how this is only a short team fix and not a long term fix for our point guard position.

So what are we gonna do after his contract expires?? We gonna gonna give him a multi year extension??? Hes already like 30

I like this trade but i had no idea he contract was about to expire

Edited by yungsta

Here we go again! Hawks management making yet another bad decision. I have seen Hinrich at Chicago and after he was traded from there and he was not the same player after the trade. I consider this trade not an upgrade at all. We gave up on a young shooter, and a veteran guard and a 1st round pick for another aging veteran? Where is the upgrade? This was supposed to take us to the next level????

Hinrich (2010-2011 stats)

PPG 11.1

RPG 2.7

APG 4.4

SPG 1.2

BPG 0.2

FG% 0.452

FT% 0.876

3P% 0.384

MPG 30.6

Bibby (2010-2011 stats)

PPG 9.4

RPG 2.6

APG 3.6

SPG 0.7

BPG 0.1

FG% 0.435

FT% 0.630

3P% 0.441

MPG 29.9

I am hoping beyond hope that we are not done dealing, otherwise I look forward to yet another early exit from the playoffs for this "core" team.

The only thing that jumps out at me here is that Bibby was shooting 63% from the line?? I must have missed that.

My only real concern is that I haven't seen Kirk since he's been in Washington. I know the numbers took a dive, but I don't know if it's aging or due to the team / system etc. Either way he can only help, even if it's only in the short term.

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2011/02/24/hawks-still-dont-get-the-point/?ls=iref:nbahpt1

They talk about how this is only a short team fix and not a long term fix for our point guard position.

So what are we gonna do after his contract expires?? We gonna gonna give him a multi year extension??? Hes already like 30

I like this trade but i had no idea he contract was about to expire

Hinrich has this year and next on his contract...hopefully Teague shows us something going forward

The only thing that jumps out at me here is that Bibby was shooting 63% from the line?? I must have missed that.

My only real concern is that I haven't seen Kirk since he's been in Washington. I know the numbers took a dive, but I don't know if it's aging or due to the team / system etc. Either way he can only help, even if it's only in the short term.

I have watched a lot of Wizards games (I live in Md) and Kirk played well for the most part. The things holding him down a bit are a) he spent a lot of time at the 2 b) he was playing on a team full of guys with no clue.

I think people are going to be surprised how much of an impact he will have here. He has been shooting well from the perimeter and he can create his own shot off the dribble far better than Bibby. Plus JJ won't have to try and guard high scoring pgs any more.

Edited by exodus

KH can play with joe, jamal, and teague seamlessly. The starting lineup of

Hinrich

Joe

Marv

JS

Al

have no defensive weakness.

I love Al but he has big weaknesses defensively. He does not protect the rim. We only have 1 of those guys and that's Josh, I don't like Josh but I give him credit for that. Even if Kirk was some great defender which he is not, we are still way too small to do anything worth talking about including get to ECF.

Kirk Hinrich has the same PER as Marvin Williams but makes more money. This trade is horrible. The guy could be a even worse player than Marvin for us all things considered.

PER ? Hollinger is that you ?

We are a jumpshooting team

Kirk is a drive and kick PG

He will push the ball at every opportunity which we should be doing anyway which will create more opportunities at early offense which we desperately need .

This trade doesnt change our style of play moreso than it allows us to play our style of play better .

Hedo

Derozan

Ben Gordon

Deandre Jordan

Big baby davis

Dalembert

Battier

Biedrens

all have "PER" of 13 or lower as would we not take them because of some ridiculous theory that two players with similar PER also have similar impact on the game basically disregarding the various makeup,roles, and styles of the players on the various teams ?

Edited by Crank
  • Like 1