• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Will this team be "blown up" after this season?

dakast

This is what I see in the future:

JJ, Horf = Safe.

Marvin = untradable.

Hinrich = stays.

Everybody else will be part of the fire sale... but there will be no buyers.

So we will have the same team minus Crawford unless something great happen in the playoffs.

Sorry Diesel but I think one or two of Al,Josh,Joe will be gone . There seems to be some infighting going on right now as to everyones role and I dont think you will be able to get someone to submit to a lessor role even if its better for the team while the other two are still here .

• Premium Member

When evaluating a trade one should always look beyond just whether the talent is equal but rather does the talent fit better. Look at the Thunder, a gimpy and one dimensional Kendrick Perkins is not worth a multi-dimensional player in Green, versatile C in Krstic and a lotto pick from the Clippers talentwise but it allows the Thunder to be more conventional and better defensively and on the boards. Despite them having a perennial MVP candidate and all-star PG they still would not have been a real threat in the West because they lacked size and toughness and now they have that in droves in addition to moving a very talented player in Ibaka both to his natural position and the starting lineup.

The thinking should be no different for us, both teams were built unconventionally in terms of having combo's and tweeners fill out the roster yet despite having greater talent than us the Thunder still realized the need to be more conventional in their design if they truly wish to win the West yet alone a Finals. Why should the Hawks believe otherwise with their inferior talent pool? We are beyond the point of demanding all star players in return for our pseudo all stars both as fans and the owners and absolutely must look for a way to move players in order to address positions of need whether or not said player(s) have a PER as high or the same "potential" of whoever we send out.

Part of the reason why I said that Joe, Horf, Marvin, and Hinrich will be kept is that they are not easily traded (with the exception of Horf and Hinrich who are needed). I would love to see us flip the script like OKC did and get a defensive big. If Washington would consider Smoove for McGhee, I would have to think about it.

This is what I see in the future:

JJ, Horf = Safe.

Marvin = untradable.

Hinrich = stays.

Everybody else will be part of the fire sale... but there will be no buyers.

So we will have the same team minus Crawford unless something great happen in the playoffs.

No one is safe but the market for our players is not big. None of them are on what I would consider great contracts minus maybe Horf. Smoove expensive and undersized. Marvin expensive and not a complete player. Hinrich expensive and same as Marvin from my point of view; except next season will be the last year of his Marvin like contract so there is some value there. JJ way overpriced but a team looking for just that one player may bite ( Chicago, NY, Mavs come quickly to mind).

Those five players have some value but as the ASG found out at the deadline, when they were rumored to be shopping everyone but JJ and Horf, not as much as they or us think. If we blow it up, we may have to trade down for players and picks, instead of the crazy Smoove for Kaman type moves everyone expects. I think the ASG found out this past deadline, we have only two assets worth a starting Center or All star caliber PG and their names are JJ and Al Horford. Anyone else we move will get us nothing more than players and picks, not all-stars.

Which makes sense since they are our only two all-stars. Seriously a undersized and expensive PF in Smoove for a starting caliber center in Kaman. In fantasy that works because you are not playing match ups and may need a stat filler like Josh while the other player needs a stat filler at center. Hell in fantasy Josh is worth more than Kaman, but in the NBA that is a crackhead pipe dream IMO.

• Premium Member

No one is safe but the market for our players is not big. None of them are on what I would consider great contracts minus maybe Horf. Smoove expensive and undersized. Marvin expensive and not a complete player. Hinrich expensive and same as Marvin from my point of view; except next season will be the last year of his Marvin like contract so there is some value there. JJ way overpriced but a team looking for just that one player may bite ( Chicago, NY, Mavs come quickly to mind).

Those five players have some value but as the ASG found out at the deadline, when they were rumored to be shopping everyone but JJ and Horf, not as much as they or us think. If we blow it up, we may have to trade down for players and picks, instead of the crazy Smoove for Kaman type moves everyone expects. I think the ASG found out this past deadline, we have only two assets worth a starting Center or All star caliber PG and their names are JJ and Al Horford. Anyone else we move will get us nothing more than players and picks, not all-stars.

Which makes sense since they are our only two all-stars. Seriously a undersized and expensive PF in Smoove for a starting caliber center in Kaman. In fantasy that works because you are not playing match ups and may need a stat filler like Josh while the other player needs a stat filler at center. Hell in fantasy Josh is worth more than Kaman, but in the NBA that is a crackhead pipe dream IMO.

When I say safe, I'm not saying that we shouldn't trade them... But I'm saying that nobody's going to give us a good deal so they are prolly staying.

When I say safe, I'm not saying that we shouldn't trade them... But I'm saying that nobody's going to give us a good deal so they are prolly staying.

I agree with that 100% Diesel. My last point on Smoove was in reference to another poster that gives Smoove as being equal value to Kaman. I think that also shows how much some posters over value our players as well. You are dead on about our players value and being hard to blow this team up. And I also think if we do, it will be to rebuild with filler and picks for players like Smoove, Marvin, Hinrich simply because none of them will put a team over the top and they are not cheap either.

Perfect example is Smoove. If I am the Knicks, give me JJ, Horford, or Kaman all day over Smoove. Period end of story.

Edited by Buzzard

Would anybody consider dealing Smoove by himself or as a part of a larger package (get rid of bad contracts) on draft day to acquire Derrick Williams + another piece of two?

If so, can you think of a good one?

Washington: Smoove, Zaza, and Marvin for Shard + top pick works... but I'm not sure I would do it because we still wouldn't have a center and lose our trade chips to get one.