• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Offense

T21

Our offense could work perfectly if only we had a good coach...

Let me explain...

1. We can all agree that we have an extremely athletic team and that up-tempo basketball suits us... OK! In order to push the ball and get easy baskets we need to play good defense. That can be done, 'cause D don't struggle and you can bring it every night... if your coach insists on it!

2. Motion offense... I don't mind it as long as it's not the only word in the book!

3. ISO - JJ/Craw... Every team has go-to guys... options 1 and 2... call it what you will. Both JJ and JC are capable scorers and that's fine. However, they seldom involve others and rarely find open or cutting teammates... even if they do that, receivers get the ball in difficult positions and with 3-4 seconds left on the shot-clock.

4. We're jump-shooting team... we admitted that! We have very good shooters in JJ, Crawford, Marvin, Hinrich, AL... this should not be our problem!

5. In order to solve many problems our offense have encountered... we need Al and especially Josh to play in the post as much as possible! I see no reason why they couldn't do that successfully on reagular basis... OK, they lack size, but they're very athletic, have decent moves around the basket and are much faster than most opposing bigs! Another reason is the fact that both of them are excellent passers!

Playing inside - out type of basketball, drawing double-teams, stretching opposing D's, where both bigs and our shooters and slashers become serious threats, is the only way we could maximize on options that we got...

Our half-court offense must be based on inside - out tactics!

By implementing this offense, we would get more points in the paint, draw more fouls (FT's), our shooters would be able to catch and shoot uncontested jumpers from their sweet spots, our offensive rebounding would improve...

In order to keep things versatile occasionally mix it with motion offense, some ISO and naturally play tough D... That's the key!

Only then we would become less predictable and one-dimensional, keeping our opponents on their heels...

Let me explain...

1. We can all agree that we have an extremely athletic team and that up-tempo basketball suits us... OK! In order to push the ball and get easy baskets we need to play good defense. That can be done, 'cause D don't struggle and you can bring it every night... if your coach insists on it!

2. Motion offense... I don't mind it as long as it's not the only word in the book!

3. ISO - JJ/Craw... Every team has go-to guys... options 1 and 2... call it what you will. Both JJ and JC are capable scorers and that's fine. However, they seldom involve others and rarely find open or cutting teammates... even if they do that, receivers get the ball in difficult positions and with 3-4 seconds left on the shot-clock.

4. We're jump-shooting team... we admitted that! We have very good shooters in JJ, Crawford, Marvin, Hinrich, AL... this should not be our problem!

5. In order to solve many problems our offense have encountered... we need Al and especially Josh to play in the post as much as possible! I see no reason why they couldn't do that successfully on reagular basis... OK, they lack size, but they're very athletic, have decent moves around the basket and are much faster than most opposing bigs! Another reason is the fact that both of them are excellent passers!

Playing inside - out type of basketball, drawing double-teams, stretching opposing D's, where both bigs and our shooters and slashers become serious threats, is the only way we could maximize on options that we got...

By implementing this offense, we would get more points in the paint, draw more fouls (FT's), our shooters would be able to catch and shoot uncontested jumpers from their sweet spots, our offensive rebounding would improve...

In order to keep things versatile occasionally mix it with motion offense, some ISO and naturally play tough D... That's the key!

Only then we would become less predictable and one-dimensional, keeping our opponents on their heels...

You should probably go grab a coaching application. They'll probably hire you on the spot.

You should probably go grab a coaching application. They'll probably hire you on the spot.

Seriously... Al and Josh should start playing in the post as much as they can as well as mixing it with pick and roll!

• Premium Member

Are there really still people who believe that coaching is the reason that Josh seems to think he's a guard at heart on offense? That coaching is the reason he wants to run the break, shoot jumpers, and hang out around the perimeter?

I don't think there's a mortal coach who could convince him to live in the post on offense without causing a potentially season-ruining locker room incident. Maybe that would be worth it at this point. Or maybe Josh would just remember what Idan Ravin told him: "You don’t need their approval, so stop looking in their direction.”

Edited by niremetal
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Let me explain...

The biggest flaw of fans is that we get caught up in the what could be and we ignore the "What is". What could be. It would be nice if Josh were a slashing Forward who took advantage of every opportunity to slash through the lane and lay down a Shawn Kempisque Thunderous dunk.. BUt that's not who Josh is. It would be nice if Horf would play with his back permanently stationed to the basket and he had an array of spin moves that would make Hakeem and Karl Malone Jealous... But that's not who Al is. It would be nice if Hinrich were the Steve Nash of the East with the exception that he played Lock down Defense and could shut down the Rose's and Wall's of the league but he's not that. It would be nice if Joe were the Joe that we got from Phoenix. The Iron man who shot over 50% from three and looked like if he got more touches he would be better than Kobe.... It would be nice if the Crawford were the Crawford of old and drove the lane every time he got the ball and either dished off and assist, scored, or went to the line... but that's not the Crawford we have.

You say it's coaching. Part of it is coaching, but most of it is personality. Our guys just don't have the personality. We've built up an Al that's faker than the Reagan that Republicans have built. Al doesn't love contact. Al doesn't play too well in Physical games. Go get the NY game and re-watch it. Amare Punked Al worst that Ashton Punked Justin Tiimberlake.

What we need is first... Some truth. Second some toughness. Third some good coaching.

Are there really still people who believe that coaching is the reason that Josh seems to think he's a guard at heart on offense? That coaching is the reason he wants to run the break, shoot jumpers, and hang out around the perimeter?

I don't think there's a mortal coach who could convince him to live in the post on offense without causing a potentially season-ruining locker room incident. Maybe that would be worth it at this point. Or maybe Josh would just remember what Idan Ravin told him: "You don’t need their approval, so stop looking in their direction.”

Yes! I really do believe that coaching can make a difference, even in Smoove's case! Although I wasn't Woody's greatest fan, he did an excellent job with Smoove.

The biggest flaw of fans is that we get caught up in the what could be and we ignore the "What is". What could be. It would be nice if Josh were a slashing Forward who took advantage of every opportunity to slash through the lane and lay down a Shawn Kempisque Thunderous dunk.. BUt that's not who Josh is. It would be nice if Horf would play with his back permanently stationed to the basket and he had an array of spin moves that would make Hakeem and Karl Malone Jealous... But that's not who Al is. It would be nice if Hinrich were the Steve Nash of the East with the exception that he played Lock down Defense and could shut down the Rose's and Wall's of the league but he's not that. It would be nice if Joe were the Joe that we got from Phoenix. The Iron man who shot over 50% from three and looked like if he got more touches he would be better than Kobe.... It would be nice if the Crawford were the Crawford of old and drove the lane every time he got the ball and either dished off and assist, scored, or went to the line... but that's not the Crawford we have.

You say it's coaching. Part of it is coaching, but most of it is personality. Our guys just don't have the personality. We've built up an Al that's faker than the Reagan that Republicans have built. Al doesn't love contact. Al doesn't play too well in Physical games. Go get the NY game and re-watch it. Amare Punked Al worst that Ashton Punked Justin Tiimberlake.

What we need is first... Some truth. Second some toughness. Third some good coaching.

I'm not in any kind of wishing business... I'm just saying that we're not playing up to our strengths and I surely believe that better coaching would get much better results out of this group... I ain't talking about no fantasy teams, I'm talking about our team and players on its roster.

• Premium Member

Yes! I really do believe that coaching can make a difference, even in Smoove's case! Although I wasn't Woody's greatest fan, he did an excellent job with Smoove.

I'm not in any kind of wishing business... I'm just saying that we're not playing up to our strengths and I surely believe that better coaching would get much better results out of this group... I ain't talking about no fantasy teams, I'm talking about our team and players on its roster.

You say better coaching and in the same breath you say somebody will make Josh and Al play inside. To that, i say.. NO. It's not in their personality to be inside players. This is where your wishing occurs. I say it would be nice if a coach could come in and make what we fans believe should happen happen, but you have to have a dose of truth with your hopes... and a dose of truth is that these players came to us with these flaw and they will have these flaws. It's like Believing that a great defensive coach will make Dirk into a great defender. Sure he's almost 7 feet but it's not his thing. The same is true with Josh and Horf. Sure Josh can jump out of the building and his blocked shots are tremendous, but he stays away from contact. Sure Horf is burly and you would think he's in the mold of a Karl Malone, but when the pressure is up and the game becomes more physical, 9 times out of 10, Horf will not respond in a Malone like Manner. Amare proved this and so does Most Big Centers.

Here's what we need.

See if OKC will give us Perk for Smoove and just live with it.

• Moderators

Woody at least made some progress with him his last season, but he was way too much of an enabler for years.

“Josh is five years in the league now, man,” Woodson said after Smith’s 5-for-19 shooting effort in the loss to the Rockets. “And it comes down

to time, score and situation. That’s the bottom line. We’re not telling him he can’t shoot 3-pointers but if you miss four or five jump shots, something has to go off in his head that says, ‘I have to do something else.’ “

That qualifies in the way too little, too late but better than nothing column. Not an endorsement.

This team is now "defined" as a jump shooting team, but running the pick and roll with Josh would be way more successful than having him 2 inches in front of the arc taking ill-advised shots. If he drove the ball more he would initiate contact and draw fouls. That said, we know Smoove isn't a great free throw shooter, but everything adds up. Josh still has no business lurking around the arc. Never. I don't care if he has improved his shot, I still scream "NO!!!" everytime I see the ball leave his hands from that area.