• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Coach Drew's limiting Teague's minutes vs. Spurs was counterproductive

hawks21

San Antonio is a fundamentally sound team, but the Spurs' fast guards has always been a problem for the Hawks. Jeff Teague needed to play more like 20 to 24 minutes and with the likes of George Hill, Tony Parker and Manu Ginaboli.

Kirk Hinrich doesn't have the foot speed of Teague and got into foul trouble while defending Parker. and Manu.

Hinrich is a better defender than Bibby, but I would like to see Teague more at PG and maybe move the 6'4 Hinrich at shooting guard for a few minutes.

However, a turning point was when Teague committed a turnover when Jamal Crawford didn't come to the ball and the Spurs push their lead to five. The game wasn't over, and it was a mistake, the first and only turnover for Teague. However, I believed Drew OVER-REACTED when called timeout and yanked Teague... and then it opened the door for the Spurs' guards to drive even more at Hinrich.

Drew has to accept HIS SUCCESS as coach is predicated on the development and impact of Jeff Teague..

The trade of Mike Bibby pretty much put Teague in a sink or swim situation.

Teague's speed and defense has to be on the floor at PG at least 20 to 24 minutes-- or more..

Against Orlando in the playoffs, who's going to defend Jameer Nelson--- Jamal or Jeff Teague..?

Edited by hawks21
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

I agree that the use of Teague tonight was ineffective, but for a different reason - we needed him to have more minutes with the first unit rather than the second. I think he showed that he fits better with the first unit in the games he started, but we haven't seen him play many first unit minutes since then.

That being said, Teague wasn't effective against TP tonight in the few possessions he tried. He still doesn't move his feet consistently. It doesn't matter how much footspeed you have if you don't move your feet. And offensively, Teague is just a nonentity. On too many possessions, he just passes the ball to Jamal and gets out of the way, which basically makes him...well, a nonentity.

The refs called way too tight a game on reach-ins tonight. It was bizarre. A lot of fouls against Hinrich and Damien are calls you don't ordinarily see made.

I agree that the use of Teague tonight was ineffective, but for a different reason - we needed him to have more minutes with the first unit rather than the second. I think he showed that he fits better with the first unit in the games he started, but we haven't seen him play many first unit minutes since then.

That being said, Teague wasn't effective against TP tonight in the few possessions he tried. He still doesn't move his feet consistently. It doesn't matter how much footspeed you have if you don't move your feet. And offensively, Teague is just a nonentity. On too many possessions, he just passes the ball to Jamal and gets out of the way, which basically makes him...well, a nonentity.

The refs called way too tight a game on reach-ins tonight. It was bizarre. A lot of fouls against Hinrich and Damien are calls you don't ordinarily see made.

Teague makes fundamental mistakes, but Drew and the staff has to keep 'coaching him up' and keep him in the game with regular minutes. Teague does have an impact defensively and early in the game he attacked the basket and got fouled.

I wish he was more of a Kemba Walker type of player, but Teague's skillset defensively has to be on the floor.

The Spurs didn't run away from the Hawks and didn't beat us by 30, but Teague's presence is more positive than negative despite his limitations and experience.