• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Defense and rebounding wins championships

Rome26

The Pistons didn't have a superstar on their team when they won their title.The won because they played great D and rebounded well. The reason Chicago beat the Hawks wasn't because of their superstar Derrick Rose. It was because of that outstanding rebounding and defense. If this Atlanta team played D and rebounded like Chicago they'd still be playing right now. Does this Atlanta team have the players to become a great rebounding/defensive team?? If so, then LD might not be the man for the this job. If not then trades need to be made immediately. Trading JJ for another guard WILL NOT make this team better on the boards and on defense. Trading him for a big would mean Josh at the 3(and leave a hole at SG) which is not a good option.

• Moderators

Those Pistons were a very rare combination. Billups/Rip/Prince/Sheed are really all four better than Hinrich/Joe/Josh/Horf. And collectively they are much better. Add Ben Wallace who is satisified with only doing the dirty work and that's solid. Zaza and Collins are not Ben Wallace although they try hard.

I'd love to see a Teague/Joe/Prince/Josh/Horford lineup if we can get Josh and Horford back to rebounding and playing in the paint. I think having an effective 3 would do wonders for this team. I wouldn't mind a teague/rip/joe/josh/horf lineup.

Those Pistons were a very rare combination. Billups/Rip/Prince/Sheed are really all four better than Hinrich/Joe/Josh/Horf. And collectively they are much better. Add Ben Wallace who is satisified with only doing the dirty work and that's solid. Zaza and Collins are not Ben Wallace although they try hard.

I'd love to see a Teague/Joe/Prince/Josh/Horford lineup if we can get Josh and Horford back to rebounding and playing in the paint. I think having an effective 3 would do wonders for this team. I wouldn't mind a teague/rip/joe/josh/horf lineup.

The reason they were better collectively was because the played D and rebounded not because they were necessarily better players. Chicago has a team full of role players (minus Rose) that play D and rebound.

Edited by Rome26

• Premium Member

The Pistons didn't have a superstar on their team when they won their title.The won because they played great D and rebounded well. The reason Chicago beat the Hawks wasn't because of their superstar Derrick Rose. It was because of that outstanding rebounding and defense. If this Atlanta team played D and rebounded like Chicago they'd still be playing right now. Does this Atlanta team have the players to become a great rebounding/defensive team?? If so, then LD might not be the man for the this job. If not then trades need to be made immediately. Trading JJ for another guard WILL NOT make this team better on the boards and on defense. Trading him for a big would mean Josh at the 3(and leave a hole at SG) which is not a good option.

I think the answer lies in the big lineup and if we could get a real rebounding/defensive Center for that lineup.

I like Dalembert, Lopez, and to a lesser extent Pryzibillia as realistic possibilities of who we can get to fill that slot. There will be other slower guys available like MaGloire and Gadzuric and even Oden.. but those guys are not as good as what we already have. The draw for Lopez is that he's young, solid, and trainable. I think his talents were wasted in Phoenix because this kid has a motor.

There's no realistic way we can get D. Jordan. Maybe Kaman, but Jordan is their future.

Dwight Howard would have to explicitly demand that he be traded to Atlanta and i would make that deal... Whatever it is.

Okur is a possibility but he's not the player we need.

Kristic may come available but I don't know about him either.

I don't think OKC will give up Perk.

So that leaves those guys mentioned earlier...

and I would keep a consistent vet like Twin or Nazr?

• Premium Member

Defenitely agree on the defense and rebounding statement. However, the current roster does not have the pieces in the front court to get it done. Any lineup with Josh at the 4 and Horford at the 5 is too small and lacks the physicality needed among other things.