• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Players Turn Down Offer - What's next?

Randy

• Moderators

Next for Jamal: crossing over the Pacific?

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7236433/sources-xinjiang-flying-tigers-trying-sign-jamal-crawford

Xinjiang has the biggest budget in China even after signing Kenyon Martin and a freash opening in its backcourt thanks to an injury suffered by ex-NBA guard Quincy Douby, formerly a first-round pick of the Sacramento Kings.

League rules only allow Chinese teams to sign NBA free agents, but sources say Xinjiang is hoping to capitalize on the uncertainty created by the NBA's suddenly-uncertain future to land Crawford and fill its need for a backcourt scorer. Crawford, who won the NBA's Sixth Man of the Year Award with the Atlanta Hawks in 2010, recently switched agents to sign with Andy Miller, who did Martin's deal with Xinjiang.

~lw3

• Admin

I can see the voiding of contracts happening, but I cant EVER see a situation with no salary cap so its moot point. If there was no salary cap all hell will break loose.

The NY Knicks would build a dynasty with CP3, Howard, Melo, Amare and whoever else wants to join since money will be no object.

No salary cap would be the worst thing to ever happen to the league. I am so glad that one got instituted.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/33284/players-new-legal-leaders-speak

"From a timing standpoint, how long can this take?

Boies: The owners could decide to open their doors and hire players today. They don't need a union for that. They could go off and hire people the way most businesses hire people. They could identify a person, they negotiate a salary, and there's absolutely no reason that couldn't happen right now."

This is the player's new lawyer speaking. Sounds like the Hawks should go after the center and pg they have always needed.crazy.gif

• Moderators

my understanding is that a salary cap has to be collectively bargained. they can't just arbitrarily do so or it becomes illegal.

In the Supreme Court case on NFL licensing, the Court said that some level of collective action that might otherwise be illegal would likely be legal in the case of sports leagues because of the need for those types of elements to make the league successful. There is no guidance at all as to what those might be, though, and a salary cap is probably not one of the types of collective action that a court would approve without a collective bargaining agreement with the player's union (IMO). For that reason, I would assume that if the NBA does open its doors for business after an anti-trust lawsuit is filed that there would be no salary cap.

If you combine that with the voiding of all existing contracts, yeah it makes for some massive potential chaos.

In the Supreme Court case on NFL licensing, the Court said that some level of collective action that might otherwise be illegal would likely be legal in the case of sports leagues because of the need for those types of elements to make the league successful. There is no guidance at all as to what those might be, though, and a salary cap is probably not one of the types of collective action that a court would approve without a collective bargaining agreement with the player's union (IMO). For that reason, I would assume that if the NBA does open its doors for business after an anti-trust lawsuit is filed that there would be no salary cap.

Adding on to this, I think the bigger issue in a post CBA world would be the legal issues amongst the owners. Many owners, in markets that most of the money, would not want a salary cap. The league would have to have some enforcement mechanism for the cap and I don't see big markets owners conceding to such. As previously stated, they do make most of the money for the NBA.