• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I went to the game...

unknownjdb

unknownjdb, aka, dj_me reprting to you about last night's game.

ESPN said that the Hawks relied upon Glover, when in actuality, they relied upon Diaw. He was truly awesome in this game. He was the main focus point, at one point, even drawing a triple team. He has awesome vision on the court and was NOT afraid of putting up the shot - which looks very good.

And as for ESPN reporting that he had only 1 blocked shot, it looked to me like 2 on the same play. The person he was defending put up the shot, Diaw blocked it back at him, then he went up for another shot, but Diaw was there again. Like I said, it looked like two blocks to me, and I still could have sworen he had more. Pretty solid defense.

Diaw was the most impressive Hawk on the floor,but, a healthier Crawford was a close second. He played an awesome defensive game and showed that he still isn't afraid to go in on guys.

The player I was least impressed with was Nailon. He just seemed to lack everything in the first half and then was only offensive in the second.

Diaw recieve my interest the most. He played, what seemed to be, three positions - PG, SG, SF. I remember him playing mostly point though. After seeing him play, I would not be surprised to see him start by the end of the year.

By the end of the season...

JT/Vaughn/DD

Diaw/Glover/Hansen

Jackson/CC/Nailon

SAR/Hendu

Theo/Nazr

Thanks for the report. You've had the chance to see what very few of us here have. The kid playing.

I hope that you are right and that he does earn a starting spot. If he keeps playing outstanding defense and can pass he is way more than halfway there as far as I am concerned.

Having seen Boris in three summer league games in Boston, that sounds like a huge improvement. He had trouble with just the basics, he was called several times for traveling, when he played in Boston. His defense was sound; however, he was afraid to take the ball to the hoop. You could really tell that the coaches were pushing him to be more offensive, they would go out of there way to encourage him when he scored. Good to see he is improving when the games mean a little bit more!

I'm sure that he got some mental schooling from Parker over the summer in the European Championship Series. It seems to me that he is more like a AAA ball player getting a chance in the Majors, instead of a college kid going to the Majors. Getting past being more aggressive is eaiser than learning the basic skill, plus I lived in Europe from 93 to 97 and trust me the high school kids there are playing more like Americans each year. The idea of the soft European is fading away.

I wouldn't really worry TOO much about his passing. Like I said, his court vision was awesome. I really wouldn't be surpise if, during the season, Diaw starts playing more of a point position. He was setting up plays the way they should be set up and pulling out when there was nothing inside.

He also seemed a little bigger/thicker (more muscular) than what I saw of his European highlights. I really don't think he'd have a problem pulling of the point forward position.

As for his scoring, after making a fabulous and-1 play, JT went up to him on the foul line and seemed to be egging him on. It didn't seemed to be the coaches pushing him to score, but more the players.

After seeing this game, I'm excited to see what the actual team will do this season. I didn't think I would, but I liked watching Vaughn play and Jackson seems like he will fit in nicely. To tell you the truth, I'm happy with what seems to be our current second line of Vaughn/Diaw/CC/Hendu/Nazr. Well, mainly Vaughn, Diaw and CC. Nazr didn't really seem to have his game one.

I think in a "best of situation," Diaw would climb rapidly up the learning curve needed for agressiveness and general play in the NBA, SJax would work on/learn his handles/discipline (and stay with , either resign or player option) ~ The two would become more or less "interchangeable" at the swing, with SJax having more of the range of a guard but Diaw having more "guard-style game"

I realize that this pushes Dion to either the bench or off the team (after the year). I truly think that, at this point, he's earned nothing more than a solid 6th man on a playoff team...maybe I'm wrong. His injury hx and noted inconsistencies make him a question mark...the only problem is relegating someone his age to a 6th man role (ala TT).

Well, you have to take into account the improvements that Dion has made as well. He's improved in each year, and last year culminated with him averaging 17 points and 8 rebounds per game over the last month of the season. The Hawks were also 21-21 in games he started.

What makes us deeper makes us stronger though. Those players have to be willing to accept their roles. I think Diaw's role this year will be as a 6th or 7th man, but he's got a lot of potential for down the road.