• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Pressure to resign Crawford?

Diesel

• Premium Member

The players, want the Hawks to be better too.

I'm not even sure if it's them wanting to keep Jamal, or that they are afraid it's Jamal or nothing. Unless we do a SnT, it looks like it might be nothing (well, maybe McGrady, unless he is using us to get more money from the Bulls).

It will be interesting to see if the ASG goes for the dollar menu again, or if they actually purchase something premium this year.

• Premium Member

I'm not even sure if it's them wanting to keep Jamal, or that they are afraid it's Jamal or nothing. Unless we do a SnT, it looks like it might be nothing (well, maybe McGrady, unless he is using us to get more money from the Bulls).

It will be interesting to see if the ASG goes for the dollar menu again, or if they actually purchase something premium this year.

I think the players know of all the times that no defense playing Jamal saved this team with his ability to score and keep the defense honest. If every player has improved: Teague, Joe, Josh... then having the same guys who beat Orlando come back might bea good thing if we can improve on our depth.

• Moderators

I think the players know of all the times that no defense playing Jamal saved this team with his ability to score and keep the defense honest. If every player has improved: Teague, Joe, Josh... then having the same guys who beat Orlando come back might bea good thing if we can improve on our depth.

As much as i don't want to bring Crawford back i agree with this. Especially in a shortened season we could get into a comfortable playoff spot just by having a hot start. So cohesion will be huge. Even so i'd rather spend my money elsewhere. Plus the players picking their teammates is generally a bad idea. This team needs challenge and peer pressure. Not guys who all have their comfortable roles.

You do realize that since the Hawks are over the salary cap that they can only offer contracts larger then the MLE to their own free agents......Right ?

So there is not much flexibility.

Based on your last comment I'm not sure what your understanding of the situation consisted of.

Edited by coachx

• Premium Member

You do realize that since the Hawks are over the salary cap that they can only offer contracts larger then the MLE to their own free agents......Right ?

So there is not much flexibility.

Based on your last comment I'm not sure what your understanding of the situation consisted of.

Yes, I'm fully aware of our limited flexibility. I know that we can't go out and sign a top free agent.

However, they can do SOME things that they don't usually do. Like using the whole MLE instead of bringing in guys at minimum salaries. Be involved in trade talks (not just an afterthought) to bring in a top player to Atlanta. They could do a sign and trade with Jamal and bring back something comparable in talent instead of just letting him walk for nothing.

I guess not all of the above would net us "premium" talent, but compared to what we are used to, it would probably seem premium.

Edited by cam1218

This is a tough call. Crawford is a great scorer, no doubt, but his defense is a liability. Like all players he can go on cold streaks but since scoring is his specialty he might as well not be on the floor if he isn't making buckets. I think I'd rather have the Hawks pick up a consistent scorer with good defense.

Crawford sure if fun to watch and he seems like a great guy which I'm sure is part of the reason he's getting player support.

If Crawford somehow sticks around, Drew needs to learn when to keep him on the bench. His defense combined with a poor shooting night makes it very difficult to win. Just look at the playoffs, he got the exact same minutes averaging 20.5 on .435/.459 as he did averaging 10.3 on .333/.175. Playing without Hinrich didn't help, but that was a theme all season. Wilkins should have played more.

This is a tough call. Crawford is a great scorer, no doubt, but his defense is a liability. Like all players he can go on cold streaks but since scoring is his specialty he might as well not be on the floor if he isn't making buckets. I think I'd rather have the Hawks pick up a consistent scorer with good defense.

Crawford sure if fun to watch and he seems like a great guy which I'm sure is part of the reason he's getting player support.

The only people who worry about the 6th man having cold streaks are people who ignore that there stars dont bring it everyday .

Gus like Lebron or Rose etc not showing up for weeks just doesnt happen so if they add someone like Crawford they are not worried about him having to show up every night in order for them to have a chance to win because thats the guys making max money job.

I dont think Crawford is worth 10+ mil at his age but I also think hes better than people want to admit as well . I would love to have him back but fiscally I dont see how we can . Our course and what is the next step for them now that they have all been paid is a bigger concern to me than a Crawfords cold streak.

Of course Joe,Josh and Al want him back hes been a good teammate and is a well respected player around the league amongst the players they also know that he basically won that Orlando series offensively and if he hadnt they all would be squarely behind the eight ball if they had added a first rd exit to the magic with the lackluster regular season that we also had.

With Kirk out they would love to keep some continuity as well . With Marvin walking upright and Teague growing in this shortened season keeping him is actually a no-brainer as far as team growth and challenging the Bulls and the Heat goes but we simply cant afford him in our market .

• Premium Member

I say we bring him back with as long a contract as we can give and lowball him on the amount. More than likely, this is his last contract. If we give him 5 yrs and work it out to about 33-35 Million, that's more and better than he can get elsewhere. For instance, elsewhere he could get 3 yrs, 21 Million but nobody will give him 2 more years at age 33 making near 14 Million. That would be the best deal he could get. For us, we get to sign him on a good contract that some team might want later this year if we do decide to keep Marvin and trade him. (IDK why?).

I think many of us talk about his stats as if that's all there is but he also takes pressure off of our other scorers. Let's be honest, he and Joe are the only two guys who have goto moves. They are the only two guys who can create for themselves. When they talk about playing the Hawks is like playing a team with Superman coming off the bench, that means that we punish teams all game long. I agree that Drew has to learn to tune down the Crawford's minutes when he's not on, but this guy is our Vinnie the Microwave.