• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Larry Drew vs. Mike Woodson

sillent

Glad to know Drew is Head over hills better than Woodson. From understanding his players, to sub patterns, to his understanding of the game offensively and defensively. Woodson still looks a bit foolish trying to get New York to follow his defensive schemes. The way it's been iso Melo/Amare I wouldn't be surprise if he added offense advice as well. As our players continue to learn and implement Larry Drew's concepts we will continue to rise. With no Phil Jackson in the league (although their is a new Jackson on the west coast that seems pretty good) Drew can establish himself as the best and most under valued coach in the league.

He out coached Van Gundy in the playoffs as well as Tom T at times. He did a spectacular job against Spoelstra's Heat. I'm watching some of the brightest coaches look a little dumbfounded at times as to what's going on against these Hawks. The talent was always their and now with the right leadership the sky is the limit. Direction, leadership and strategy from the bench and being extended to the court with some of our new vets all will play a key factor in what could be a magical season this year!!

Edited by sillent

• Premium Member

Funny how some here cannot pass up an opportunity to knock the man who made this franchise credible. This team was mediocre before Woody and has been a mediocre since Woody.

Two words: thirteen wins

Can we talk about Josh Smith since Woody? That's how I judge a coach. Woody had these guys under control while LD has the inmates running the asylum.

I'm willing to bet anyone here that the Knicks will be a better defensive team under Woody. We pick at his scheme but can anyone share proof that Woody's scheme is not effective?

Edited by NineOhTheRino

You need the right personnel for switch defenses to work properly. You can't switch on every possession either. That gives the offense a chance to find the mismatch and exploit the switches. Your right hilarious. Didn't see the game but the Bobcats should have had plenty of instances where TC and Amare were wondering around the 3 point line on defense. Nobody guarding the hole or boxing out for defense. Our bigs are a lot quicker than New York's so I don't see them getting back on time or recovering as quickly.

Funny how some hear cannot pass up an opportunity to knock the man who made this franchise credible. This team was a mediocre before Woody and has been a mediocre since Woody.

Two words: thirteen wins

Can we talk about Josh Smith since Woody? That's how I judge a coach. Woody had these guys under control while LD has the inmates running the asylum.

Woody coached that 13 win season. I'm not knocking Woody I've always called him an Evil Genius but I realize I may have been a little mistaken. Drew might be more of Woody's genius than led on and we are seeing the results. Besides Josh still using game time to practice on his jump shots where is this insane asylum you speak of ? I give Kudos to a coach who has good strategies and schemes for offense and defense and knows how to sub even during a shortened season. We've utilized the talents of our bench probably better than any team in the league so far. By the time we get to April our legs will be a lot fresher than someone like a Derrick Rose who's still playing 40 a night. I don't blame their coach (picture the Bulls without Derrick Rose) but ours is doing an outstanding job!!

• Premium Member

LD use of the bench in the Bulls game was atrocious. T-Mac was not hurt and should have been on the floor for the final shot. Plus the T-Mac thing would not have been an issue had LD not left the bench on the floor so long. Do they really need rest this early in the season? Sorry but that's just a poor coaching by the great LD.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

LD use of the bench in the Bulls game was atrocious. T-Mac was not hurt and should have been on the floor for the final shot. Plus the T-Mac thing would not have been an issue had LD not left the bench on the floor so long. Do they really need rest this early in the season? Sorry but that's just a poor coaching by the great LD.

Says Acie Laws #2 fan. No knock on you just knocking your coaching. What is so atrocious about getting good minutes from your bench when your up in the game. He still brought the starters back in when we had a lead and they/we had plenty of opportunities to win the game. LD can't play for us he can only prepare us for it. The rest of the story is on the players. It's a shortened season and everybody has to sprint in this marathon. There are going to be a lot of teams dragging in to finish this race and I'd rather our best players have the freshest legs.

• Premium Member

and why in the hell is he pulling his best defender (Josh) and playing Zaza with Radmanovic at the same time. Stupid!!!! I don't care if Josh takes 20 bad shots in a row that move is still borderline insane.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

• Admin

Woody's switch scheme was exposed badly in the playoffs a few years ago and abused. It is okay to use it every now and then but not all game. Woody never knew how to change things up in the game. Once the game began he had a set plan and he stuck to it no matter if it was working or not. It always fustrated me when the second half began and the other team made adjustments and we never did. I really don't think Woody was a good coach at all. He should always be an assistant coach. Figure out schemes and then let the head coach make the decisions on how to use them during the game.

• Moderators

Woody's switch scheme was exposed badly in the playoffs a few years ago and abused. It is okay to use it every now and then but not all game. Woody never knew how to change things up in the game. Once the game began he had a set plan and he stuck to it no matter if it was working or not. It always fustrated me when the second half began and the other team made adjustments and we never did. I really don't think Woody was a good coach at all. He should always be an assistant coach. Figure out schemes and then let the head coach make the decisions on how to use them during the game.

I agree with this 100%. The OP overrates Drew significantly, but Drew still gives us a better shot to succeed strategically by a long shot over Woodson.

His players made him look poor tonight. Joe Johnson again didn't show up when it counted.Josh not being more aggressive on defense and reverted to shooting when we needed buckets. Horford has always been out played by Bosh. Teague was who in that game? He seemed lost. Marvin is so use to sitting in big games to he wasn't a factor. Zaza was a comedian. Rad couldn't find the basket. It's only so much a coach can do. The guys tried to turn it on late and wore theirselves out in the process. Early Lessons. Heat had there share of problems early last year and you see how they turned out. Hawks know/think they can turn it on whenever they want and that's a costly way to play the game.