Drew Doesn't Have a Clue

frankthetank966

Larry Drew has proven to us the past two games that he doesn't know how to coach in the clutch. We lost to Chicago due to poor play calling and inability to hit free-throws in the final minutes.

Tonight, the Hawks were leading with about a minute remaining left in regulation and Drew pulls his energizer bunny Ivan Johnson for Josh Smith. That moved didn't do anything except allow Chris Bosh to regain his comfort zone and drain a 3pt. The Hawks brought no energy and proved they aren't for real tonight loosing to a Miami Heat team without DWade or Lebron. Another example of his poor coaching was in the 2nd OT when the Hawks regained possession of the ball with the clock winding down and he didn't call a time out to draw up a play.

Tonight proved the Hawks core needs to be broken up. Joe Johnson is overrated and overpaid, Al Horford is inconsistent and Josh Smith is immature. Move these guys and maybe the coach will get a clue.

I blame LD for the play calling or lack there of, the ISO thing doesn't work with Joe anymore he is too slow, give the ball to Teague and let him make a play or run a set play...the missed freethrows are on the players.

• Moderators

I expect to see a supposedly "maturing" team actually "mature," with the guidance and assistance of its coaching staff. To a player, we're not seeing the signs of maturity on the floor we should be seeing by now. And year-long utterances of "it's the players, they just won't execute" and smh'ing doesn't cut it at this stage of these players' individual and collective development.

If our owners are so preoccupied with the luxury tax, and we insist on hiring lowball-salary head coaches, take the money we won't spend on our Assistant-In-Chief, and get him the veteran people who can help him make adjustments AND the people who apply foot-to-a$$ when the players fail to execute plays. I believe Drew has a clue, but he needs more competent assistants to give him more clues.

We hear the assistants with their empty answers almost every halftime, and I get more confidence the guy selling Coors Light in the stands has a better assessment of what's wrong and needs fixing than many of these guys do. This team needs an upgrade on the coaching staff badly... and LD, happy just to be earning a salary a notch above his assistants, is not going to be the one to admit it.

~lw3

He doesn't have the pieces. That's all.

The system needs to get chopped up. I notice when Josh or Al are on the post and getting doubled, players are just standing around and spacing is terrible. When they finally find an open player out of a double team, players immediately revert to one on one plays with under 7 seconds left on the clock.

• Like 1

I blame LD for the play calling or lack there of, the ISO thing doesn't work with Joe anymore he is too slow, give the ball to Teague and let him make a play or run a set play...the missed freethrows are on the players.

Teague looked really bad tonight. He drove the lane a few times but couldn't close with FT's. Coach needs to start benching these guys who aren't making FT's. Ivan Johnson is shooting better from the line than most of our starters. Additionally, where the heck was Willie Green? 14 points and he's finally stroking it and he's on the bench? Dude needs to get a clue, make adjustments and rid the players who are hot that night. Thats what an NBA coach does. Take Tom Thiboduea for example, he took Boozer and Noah out of the 4th against us the other night for Asik because he was battling. I'm sick of seeing our starters in the final minutes of the 4th (if they are cold). It's like we just assume they are going to be there. The lineup should have been,

PG Jeff Teague

SG Willie Green

SF Tmac

PF Smoove

C Ivan

Enough said. We would have won the game if we had our hot players in at the end.