• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Orlando Sentinel article on Magic interest in JV

Admin

Can we use him in a SNT with the Magic with Nazr to help us get Miller/big man?

In reply to:

The Orlando Magic are pursuing free agent Jacque Vaughn, hoping that he can provide a steady veteran presence at point guard.

Vaughn's agent, Jeff Austin, confirmed the Magic's interest in his client. But when reached earlier this week, Austin also said that no deal is imminent and serious negotiations have yet to begin.

"The bottom line is it's too early," Austin said.

Less than a week from the first day NBA free agents are allowed to sign, only three free agents have agreed to terms on contracts. Typically, the big-name players sign big deals to set the market, and the dominoes fall from there. This summer's free-agent crop is considered weak, and teams are strapped financially because they are trying to avoid the luxury tax. So free agency could drag into August.

Vaughn, 27, set a dubious NBA mark by starting the season zero for 22 from the field. But he we wound up shooting 47 percent, including 44 percent of his 3-pointers. He played for the Atlanta Hawks for $590,850 and averaged 6.6 points and 4.3 assists in 22 minutes per game. He played in all 82 games, started 16 and had an assist-to-turnover ratio of better than 3-to-1.

The Magic want Vaughn for his defense and ability to run a team. Most of all, he is affordable. Vaughn probably will demand about $1 million to sign. The tricky part in signing him could be the length of his contract. At least a half dozen teams are seriously interested in Vaughn.

Though he is not the long-term solution at point guard for the Magic, he could aid in Magic Coach Doc Rivers' "Save Darrell" plan. Rivers wants to extend the career of Armstrong, 34, the reckless little man who is considered the heart of the Magic, by having him play a sixth-man role.

Vaughn would be given every opportunity to start for the Magic, who have plenty of scorers but could use more defensive-minded players.

But acquiring Vaughn is not the Magic's most pressing need this summer. The team is still wading through all of its big-man options while closely monitoring the progress of Steven Hunter, the team's first-round draft choice in 2001.

Hunter, slowed by recent surgery on his left knee, landed awkwardly on his right leg during a game Thursday in the Orlando summer pro league. Though he originally thought he hurt his right knee, it was determined that he received a bruised lower leg. Hunter will have a precautionary magnetic resonance imaging scan and, if everything checks out, he might play today.

It only added to Hunter's frustration. Hunter wants this to be his breakout summer, and he admitted the pressure is getting to him. In three games this week, Hunter is averaging only three points and has had a tough time defensively, too often allowing his man to muscle him in the post.

He also doesn't have the confidence in his left knee. Hunter originally hurt his knee during a pre-draft workout last summer. He played on it all through the season and had arthroscopic surgery to repair the meniscus in April.

Hunter says he needs to relax.

"This is a crazy start," Hunter said. "Very disappointing. Very frustrating. Hopefully, I can get all these jinks and kinks out soon. I'm thinking a lot out there. I really want to show what I'm capable of doing. The first few days I've been pressing."

• Premium Member

Did I not call it? Didn't I say that Orlando would probably love to have Vaughn so that they can send Armstrong away... Say to GS for Fortson.

We need to watch Orlando Hawks fans. Their recent woes at C will force them to do some desperate things.

Read my article on Trade Central from a few days ago....

Trade Talk Soup = Orlando.

LOL....You would have savagely overpaid Vaughn, considering they may snag him for 2 years/2 million total, instead of blowing 12 million on him?

What's next, a 4 yr/16 million dollar deal for Bimbo Coles? No, wait...CLE already did that!

Anyway, it looks if a few teams want Vaughn for about a million....

You are right though, if they feel desperate for a center-type, we need to make good on the perceptions about Nazr...

I am only optimistic of trading Nazr because he has that experienc eunder his belt as a starting center. We all know what Theo has gone through the last 2 seasons. If Theo goes down again, and of course we all hope he doesn't, who would be our back up center, as of right no we don't anyone else except for Nazr. So as I said again I am very optimistic to trading Nazr, he is a great backup cenmter and an definitely help us in the playoffs just in case Theo goes down with an injury.

LOL! Orlando is trying to get JV alright but at a hell of a lot less than what D was willing to give him.

Regarding ORL's need for a Center, the truth is that Babs should be given credit for seeing the situation in ORL and trying to take advantage of it. I don't think ANYBODY on this board thought it might be possible to get Mike Miller for Nazr in a deal but apparently it is possible. If Babs pulls a Nazr for Miller deal off, I will be VERY impressed.

Guest Walter

The article reads they want to keep Armstrong but sign Vaughn in order to prolong his career playing the role of a 6th man. They refer to him as the "heart of the team". These are not the words of a team that wants to trade a player away.

W

Guest Walter

unless...they used up their mid level Ex from last year. I don't believe you get a mid level EX two years in a row. Still, if JV's salary is projected at only $1 million they don't need but a lesser exemption.

Keep hoping Hunter and Griffith bomb this summerleague like they have been. I still want Mike Miller!

W